Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T42 Flashing Yellow Battery Light

T40/T41/T42/T43 series specific matters only
Callahan
Freshman Member

T42 Flashing Yellow Battery Light

#1 Post by Callahan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:39 am

Today I turned on my T42 - 14in notebook and the battery indicator light ... which is normally green is now flashing yellow or orange.

I'm guessing I need a new battery even though it has a good charge and is in the range where I have it set to not charge. I have it - start charging when below 80% and stop charging at 86%.

Battery Stats

Remaining Percentage: 83%
Remaining Time: 2:49
Remaining Capacity: 36:05 Wh
Full Charge Capacity: 44:53 Wh
Current: 1.14 A
Voltage: 10.43 V
Wattage: 13.73 W
Temperature: 22 C
Cycle Count: 30

------------------------------------------------

Device Chemistry: Li-Ion
Design Capacity: 47.52 Wh
Design Voltage: 10.80 V

The battery was fine yesterday ... just a green indicator light. I found this from a forum post in 2011 dealing with an X60, it seems to be my exact situation for my T42. There is a reply from ajkula66 with a warning: "Don't run the machine with that battery installed because you might damage the charging circuit on the motherboard." ... I have taken the battery out till I get some information here ... two different ThinkPads with the same problem. So is this battery shot or can it still be used or the cycles reset? I hardly ever have need of any battery power in today's world but sometimes it's handy to have a battery installed.
------------------------------------------------

X60s Battery Light Constantly Blinks Yellow

#1 Post by ParatoOptimal » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:47 pm

I got this X60s two months ago. I had to wait for some pieces to arrive. I turned it on 2 months ago without a power adapter and the battery was green. I turned it on a month later with a power adapter attached and it quickly turned green.

Today, I connected an X6 Ultrabase and it blinked yellow.
I disconnected the Ultrabase and it still blinks yellow.
It's been plugged in for a few hours and it still blinks yellow.
Win7 says it's 99% available, plugged-in but not charging.
When I unplug it, it still blinks yellow.

Re: X60s Battery Light Constantly Blinks Yellow

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 pm

X6x series batteries are often of garbage-quality... My guess is that you need a new one.
Don't run the machine with that battery installed because you might damage the charging circuit on the motherboard.

Good luck.
----------------------------------------

So is the battery actually dead because it has run out of 'cycles' and no longer any good, even though it has a charge in the range that I have set? ... the 80% to 86% range.

Thanks ...

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: T42 Flashing Yellow Battery Light

#2 Post by theterminator93 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:45 am

Is the blinking rapid (several times per second) or only periodic (every few seconds)? If the former, then that means the battery internal circuitry has detected some kind of fault and now considers the cells unsafe to recharge.
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote
600|770Z|770E|760XD|760EL|365XD|701C|755C

Callahan
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Callahan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:16 am

Thanks for the reply. I have to take off for a few hours and will put the battery back in when I get back. As I remember, it was like a steady flash every second ... whether plugged in or not. It was not 'periodic' just a steady flash.

I will check it again later today.

thanks ...

Callahan
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Callahan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:58 pm

theterminator93 ... and all

Well I have to say that the yellow flashing battery indicator seems to have gone away. I put the battery back in the computer and it was a steady 'green' until the computer fully started. When I was on the battery this morning and switching back and forth (power on and off) to see if the 'flashing' yellow light would stop or correct itself. I ran the computer on battery power for awhile ... so it needed to be charged again from 60% to 86%.

I also remember rebooting the computer at least once to see if the flashing would stop, it did not and then in my search I found the warning from ajkula66 to the other poster: "Don't run the machine with that battery installed because you might damage the charging circuit on the motherboard."

I shut the ThinkPad down and removed the battery. Now when I put the battery back in hours later ... all seems to be OK.

I guess removing the battery and putting it back in seems to have fixed the problem. No flashing yellow indicator light, just the normal 'green' indicator.

I've had the computer running for at least two hours and everything appears normal. Maybe something 'got reset' when I took the battery out.

Thanks for your assistance ... will see how everything runs for the next few days.

Callahan

Callahan
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Callahan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:22 am

I thought I would post an update to my 'Flashing Yellow Battery Light' question from three weeks ago. It has never occurred again, everything has been just fine.

I guess if something strange like that happens again in the future, one thing I will try will be to remove and replace the battery. Never know, might solve the problem before getting more involved.