Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T42 with Flash Drives Connecting / Disconnecting

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Callahan
Sophomore Member

T42 with Flash Drives Connecting / Disconnecting

#1 Post by Callahan » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:37 pm

I seem to be having problems since last year with my flash drives connecting and disconnecting at a rapid pace. I was thinking the USB ports on my ThinkPads are going bad. I have two T42s ... a 14 in and a 15 in screen. I got them in 2010 and the 14 in TP is used more than the 15 in which is like new. It sits in a box covered up out of the dust ... today I fired it up (15 in) using these newer USB cables and some of the flash drives started going crazy connecting and disconnecting. I like to use a cable and just connect USB drives with that and not over use the two USB ports on the T42s. Less wear and tear on the ports with the cable always connected.

I only use SanDisk flash drives. I did have problems with Walmart and PNY flash drives years ago and so over the last four or five years I started buying only SanDisk drives. I had older USB cables that I had used for years until last year ... when this flash drive problem seen to start ... in late 2021 or early 2022. I can have days when all goes well and all flash drives are just fine.

Anyway, last year I bought six new USB cables from a seller on eBay. They seem to be well made and are thicker or insulated more than my older cables. However, those cables didn't fix the problem. They are from China but look good but sometimes I suspect the cables are to blame.

So for months I have been trying to figure out this problem. I don't think the SanDisk drives are a problem ... that's a good company making a good flash drive. I can find nothing bad online about their USB drives so far. I searched for information online ... there was mention about dust getting into the USB ports over time so I cleaned the bottom port with a Q-tip and alcohol ... the top port always has a wireless mouse connector in it.

I'm convinced (almost) that the newer cables are hit and miss. I've gone through four cables so far out of the six. I want to buy some really good USB cables ... I won't buy anymore from eBay but as I said earlier ... those cables really did look good ... they are heavy over the older thin ones I had ... but I never noticed any problems with those old cables except for electrical interference sometimes. That's why I wanted some newer USB cables with better protection against that interference.

My question I guess ... assuming the newer cables are maybe defective and are 'hit and miss'. What good USB cables are people using here and where did you get them? Do they have a manufacturer's name and not just a 'generic' type cable. I've looked on Amazon but these older USB cables are hard to find and they are too long ... five, six or ten foot cables. The eBay cables were just right in length (around 28 inches) and looked good with the description.

I am wondering if SanDisk makes USB cables since they would probably be a good cable. I am going to e-mail them.

I thought I would just ask here first for any help finding some better cables.

Thanks ...

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: T42 with Flash Drives Connecting / Disconnecting

#2 Post by dr_st » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:43 pm

Did you actually try to plug the flash drives directly into the USB ports on the Thinkpad chassis, before deciding that the cables are the problem?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Callahan » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:42 pm

dr_st ... how silly on my part, no I never gave it a thought. Since the early days with Win 98 (last century) I have always just used a cable to connect USB flash drives, not wanting to damage the port, easier to just replace a cable if it wears out. Before I read your reply I have three of these new eBay cables that I am ready to throw away. One last time I tried to connect a flash drive that I wanted to transfer three files to. The 'connect / disconnect' happened with all three cables. The last one seemed OK and I had about half the file transferred and it just shut down / disconnect.

I have two new cables left and pulled one out of the box. No problem ... the flash drive stayed connected and I was able to transfer all three files to the drive. It seems to me as I remember that all these eBay cables worked OK new for about a month or two and then the 'on and off' starts happening.

After I read your reply i tried what you said ... put the flash drive into the USB port and it was OK ... stayed connected. So that seems to tell me that these eBay USB cables are 'hit and miss' ... probably causing the problem. So where can I buy some good USB cables? Those USB cables on eBay were being sold by at least four sellers with only pennies in difference. Their pictures looked the same so they are all probably selling the same product.

I will see if SanDisk has USB cables for sale. Thanks for the suggestion that I should have thought of.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:48 pm

I would try looking for a reliable brand at local store. Sandisk, maybe, but there are others.

Yes, it will cost more than no-name crap from China, but you often get what you paid for... I've been burnt by rock bottom quality of ultra-cheap stuff from China before.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:11 am

Also, look specifically for USB 2.0 cables, from e.g. Belkin, Amazon-Basics, Sabrent, etc.
T4x may not like USB 3.0.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by Callahan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:41 am

RBS ... your reply got me thinking that maybe I might have ordered the wrong cables. The cables are each in a clear small plastic bag ... no information to what I bought. I went to eBay just now to check my orders from last year and here is exactly what I bought. Not pushing this eBay seller but this is the USB cable. I bought three and after I received them I ordered three more since they looked well made and heavier than my old thin cables.

High-Speed USB to USB Extension Cable USB 2.0 Adapter Extender Cord Male/Female
*SPECIAL SALE *FACTORY DIRECT *BEST PRICE *FAST US SHIP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224481014316?var=523263491266

I bought the 3 ft length ... so I did get the USB 2.0 cable. The cables look good and if my ThinkPad USB ports are OK then it must be the cables but I can't say for sure. It could still be something on my end. The seller has sold a lot of cables along with the other sellers.

"More than 10 available / 2,926 sold"

I will try to find a better cable with a name ... if you scroll further down the page there are some other cables shown ... USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 with a name 'RoHS' . That name RoHS doesn't seem to be a company but some sort of standard in the electronics industry.

https://talema.com/what-is-rohs/

RoHS: What Is It and How Does It Improve Electronics Manufacturing?
What is RoHS?

The Restriction on the use of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive 2002/95/EC was originated in the European Union in 2002 and restricts the use of six hazardous substances found in electrical and electronic equipment. The directive was officially adopted by the EU in February 2003.

I wasn't familiar with the term until now.

Who would think just trying to find a few good USB 2.0 cables would become a major project.
Last edited by Callahan on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:24 am

RoHS use of lead-free solder is what caused the T4x GPU and other (Southbridge etc.) problems.
Up till today I still refuse to use leadfree solder, all my solder has at least 37% lead.
Lower melting point and better contact.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by Callahan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:54 pm

Interesting about the leadfree solder. Maybe there's something to that with these USB cables. There might be some solder used in the making of those cables ... don't know that for a fact. As I mentioned before, some of the cables seem to work great for a month or two and then the connection problems seem to start.

After that time I would have connected flash drives many times to the female end of the cable. Maybe some connection parts inside the cable with solder are breaking or coming apart.

I don't know ... I feel my T42 USB ports are still working OK and the problem must be with the cables. Now to find some good USB cables.

I had read about 'the T4x GPU and other (Southbridge etc.) problems' years ago after I bought my T42s in 2010. Buy.com was selling a huge amount of T42s as refurbished in 2010 and I bought two and also a T41. Perhaps these T42s had the solder problem and were fixed and sold as refurbished. My T42s so far have been working OK.