Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

bluetooth on T43

T40/T41/T42/T43 series specific matters only
Leion

bluetooth on T43

#1 Post by Leion » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:48 am

I am only able to send files from my T43 to my phone. but when I wanted to send files from the phone to my laptop, it will report fail.

I am able to send to my desktop though. Is there some configuration that I did wrongly?

Leion

#2 Post by Leion » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:17 am

anyone ?

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#3 Post by christopher_wolf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:22 pm

Well, what kind of phone do you have? Smartphone, etc; Is it a Motorola, Nokia, Sony/Ericsson, etc.

I don't try to send files from my phone (Motorola RAZR) to my T43, but rather "pull" them over by mounting the RAZR via Bluetooth and simply exploring the device. Certain Bluetooth devices, such as phones, have different ways of connecting from what I have seen. Some phones won't bluetooth to each other, some won't act as a "Master" where you can control other Bluetooth devices. :)
IBM ThinkPad T43 Model 2668-72U 14.1" SXGA+ 1GB |IBM 701c

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"

Kenn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Kenn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:26 pm

I think some carriers (cough*verizon) cripple bluetooth as well, so that you can only get multimedia content off your phone by uploading it through their pay service.
IBM ThinkPad T42p (2373-7XU): 1.8GHz/1024MB, 15" UXGA, DVD-RW, 80GB, 2200b/g.
T42 (2374-3VU): 1.7GHz/512MB, 14.1"SXGA+, DVD-RW, 80GB, 2200b/g.

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#5 Post by christopher_wolf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm

Well, that would be a little, harsh, wouldn't it? After all, Bluetooth is a Hardware Service provided by the Phone; pay for the phone, you are entitled to the full access of Bluetooth on it. I do know that Motorola has a USB tybe B interface on the RAZR that needs software; but on Bluetooth, it just acts as another device. And most Wireless carries I know of use WAP to get Media onto the phone at...questionable... charges per kilobyte. I imagine the Mobile Phone Makers would go up in arms if the carriers locked down media transit across Buetooth on the phones. After all, the phone makers need to have a presence in the Bluetooth mobile device market.

Then again, I use Cingular. ;) :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

Kenn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Kenn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:59 pm

I believe there is a class action suit going on about crippled bluetooth in cell phones. I think the practice is greedy and despicable.

Then again, IBM locks out non-genuine mini-PCI cards from its thinkpads :P Imagine buying a desktop computer from Frys, and finding out it won't take any video or sound card upgrades that aren't also purchased from Frys :?
IBM ThinkPad T42p (2373-7XU): 1.8GHz/1024MB, 15" UXGA, DVD-RW, 80GB, 2200b/g.
T42 (2374-3VU): 1.7GHz/512MB, 14.1"SXGA+, DVD-RW, 80GB, 2200b/g.

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#7 Post by christopher_wolf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Wow, thanks for that info, Kenn. I really had no idea. :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

smugiri

#8 Post by smugiri » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:42 pm

Yep, its a fact: here are the facts..

I personally subscribe to the buy my own phone with separate service approach. And I do not do contracts. Makes life more expensive on a usage basis but I can pick and choose my phones and I have service that I can tailor to my needs as they change. This works OK for me since I do not do too much talk time.
Steve

kyrotech

#9 Post by kyrotech » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:38 pm

if your phone is nokia, then you need nokia pc suite to transfer the files from the phone to your PC

for other manufacturers you will need similar software, just check :lol:
IBM ThinkPad T42 CTU # Pentium M 1.8 Ghz Dothan # Mobility 9600 64 MB @375/240 # Hynix 1024 MB PC2700 RAM #
Fujitsu 80 GB 5400 RPM # LG CDRW/DVD Combo Drive # Intel Wireless b/g mPCI # TFT 14.1 XGA Display # WinXP Pro SP2 Catalyst 7.7

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#10 Post by christopher_wolf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:54 am

FYI, you don't need the $40+ Motorola software to get a Motorola phone, at least the RAZR, working with Bluetooth; they don't say that, but I think that software suite is for a hardwired connection via USB for Motorola. :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

Leion

#11 Post by Leion » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:39 pm

christopher_wolf wrote:Well, what kind of phone do you have? Smartphone, etc; Is it a Motorola, Nokia, Sony/Ericsson, etc.

I don't try to send files from my phone (Motorola RAZR) to my T43, but rather "pull" them over by mounting the RAZR via Bluetooth and simply exploring the device. Certain Bluetooth devices, such as phones, have different ways of connecting from what I have seen. Some phones won't bluetooth to each other, some won't act as a "Master" where you can control other Bluetooth devices. :)
I am using the only Siemens symbian phone, SX1.
My friend is using Nokia 7610 and has this same problem on his T43
I think it is the IBM bluetooth program.
I am able to send pictures from the phone to my desktop on a USB bluetooth dongle. So I am 101% sure that its not the phone.

For both T43 and my desktop, I have set my phone as authorised device and auto accept any connections from my phone. Currently, I am only able to pull files from the phone from the laptop. This is not what I want. I want to see my pictures from the phone and send it to the laptop. I feel crippled, having been forced to use the laptop to pull the files over.

IBM has released a MS version of the bluetooth program, which I did not try before. I am not sure if this version can solve my problem. Anyone has used this program before?

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#12 Post by christopher_wolf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:24 pm

Hmmm, I don't know how much help I can offer, but I can say that I briefly encountered that problem with Bluetooth. Yet the only issue that I had was simply not being able to take any files off the phone in the first place. I do know that Symbian gives you the option to send the pictures to the Computer where as the Motorola Engineers seemed to prefer you pulling the files over and didn't provide a direct send option via bluetooth. Do you have the latest drivers for bluetooth? I do know that there may be a conflict with the IBM and MS Device Drviers for Bluetooth. I just got whatever was the latest program available from the Software Installer was.

~o/
But she is an IBM.

Leion

#13 Post by Leion » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:59 pm

christopher_wolf wrote:Hmmm, I don't know how much help I can offer, but I can say that I briefly encountered that problem with Bluetooth. Yet the only issue that I had was simply not being able to take any files off the phone in the first place. I do know that Symbian gives you the option to send the pictures to the Computer where as the Motorola Engineers seemed to prefer you pulling the files over and didn't provide a direct send option via bluetooth. Do you have the latest drivers for bluetooth? I do know that there may be a conflict with the IBM and MS Device Drviers for Bluetooth. I just got whatever was the latest program available from the Software Installer was.
yes symbian phones can send and recieve files like a normal computer. I have done the sending and receiving on my phone to my desktop. so i am sure it is not the phone.
i just find it silly to get the pictures using the laptop when i can see the pictures direct on the phone and select those i wan and send straight away.

It seems that IBM think differently...
anyway I have emailed them regarding this and they did not reply me. it has been like 5 days. i doubt they will ever reply me

:(

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#14 Post by davidspalding » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:52 am

I use a Nokia 3650, and have sent and received photos, files, .VCF business cards between the 3650 and an old Omnibook with a Belkin BT receiver, and ... my T43. No Nokia PC suite software was required. That's for a proprietary backup of the phone data, sync of information, etc. Not required if you have normal BT software installed.

I've had problems with sending photos back and forth with my work desktop, and resolved it by running the Bluetooth "setup wizards" that are incorporated into BT services. Most likely, you don't have a BT service set to auto-start. Also, things go smoother if you "pair" your phone with your Thinkpad.

BTW, I've also heard the Verizon gyp tale. They sell a phone which has complete BT ability, and their SIM card cripples or disables the BT. Caveat emptor. Buying a phone with Bluetooth, only to find that the seller has disabled that ability, comes eerily close to consumer fraud, IMHO. I hope the class action suit teaches Verizon a nice, painful, bloody lesson.
2668-75U T43, 2GB RAM, 2nd hand NMB kybd, Dock II, spare Mini-Dock, and spare Port Replicators. Wacom BT tablet. Ultrabay 2nd HDD.
2672-KBU X32, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm TravelStar HDD.

Leion

#15 Post by Leion » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:09 pm

davidspalding wrote:I use a Nokia 3650, and have sent and received photos, files, .VCF business cards between the 3650 and an old Omnibook with a Belkin BT receiver, and ... my T43. No Nokia PC suite software was required. That's for a proprietary backup of the phone data, sync of information, etc. Not required if you have normal BT software installed.

I've had problems with sending photos back and forth with my work desktop, and resolved it by running the Bluetooth "setup wizards" that are incorporated into BT services. Most likely, you don't have a BT service set to auto-start. Also, things go smoother if you "pair" your phone with your Thinkpad.

BTW, I've also heard the Verizon gyp tale. They sell a phone which has complete BT ability, and their SIM card cripples or disables the BT. Caveat emptor. Buying a phone with Bluetooth, only to find that the seller has disabled that ability, comes eerily close to consumer fraud, IMHO. I hope the class action suit teaches Verizon a nice, painful, bloody lesson.
my bluetooth is already set to automatically on. Still cannot work... :(

i still get the "unable to connect" error

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#16 Post by christopher_wolf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:11 pm

Hmmm, this is starting to sound like a conflict between IBM's Bluetooth manager and Microsoft's Bluethooth Manager. I will poke around on my system and see what I can get for settings if that will help anybody.

~o/
But she is an IBM.

Leion

#17 Post by Leion » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:13 pm

christopher_wolf wrote:Hmmm, this is starting to sound like a conflict between IBM's Bluetooth manager and Microsoft's Bluethooth Manager. I will poke around on my system and see what I can get for settings if that will help anybody.

o1001010
Sophomore Member

#18 Post by o1001010 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:29 am

leion you still have no answered who is your phone's carrier
Thinkpad T60 2613-HDU
1.66 Core 2 2gb x1400-128 Fujitsu 60 14" sxga Chicony TP a/b/g BT

Thinkpad T42 2373-N1U
1.8 p-m 2gb 9600-64 Fujitsu 80 LG 15" Flexview Chicony TP a/b/g BT

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#19 Post by christopher_wolf » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:34 pm

Well, I finally checked out my Bluetooth Settings; these may or may not help, but they do provide a datapoint for which we know at least several machines work. I have not altered or modified the following in any way:

---------------------------------------------------***GENERAL***
Device Type: Thinkpad Integrated Bluetooth IV
Manufacturer: WIDCOMM
------------------------------------------------- ***DETAILS***
Driver Provider: WIDCOMM
Driver Date: 9/15/2005 (latest as far as I know and checked withsoftware installer)
Driver Version: 3.0.1.918
Digital Signer: Not digitally signed
-------------------------------------------------***DRIVER FILE DETAILS***
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\btwusb.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERSfrmupgr.sys
(Both are the aformentioned version, 3.0.1.918, and are provided by Broadcom Corporation)

Then there is quite alot of info when it comes to the Details and instance tags; I will list some of the ones I think might be important;

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_201E\5&1227F778&0&1 (Device Instance Id; important for windows to get a handle on it)

Firmware Revision: 00.09

Hardware Ids:
USB\Vid_0a5c&Pid_201e&Rev_0009
USB\Vid_0a5c&Pid_201e

And that's about it...There are a bunch of other Power and Wake S1, S2, S3 state configurations, but I don't think those would have much to do with any bluetooth to bluetooth device connection problem; interestingly enough, the hardware ids are listed under USB...So maybe there could be an issue with the USB too, though that is a long shot and I don't think it is probable. The way I got this was to open up the Thinkpad Configuration utility and click on Add-on Devices, Tab 2. This is the same thing has the Hardware Profiler in the System App in the Control Panel. Check out your settings and see what, if any, differences there are and where. HTH :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#20 Post by davidspalding » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:10 pm

I don't mean just leave your Bluetooth automatically on, man. You may have to configure the local Bluetooth services. On my system, BTCPL.CPL is the control panel, or just open Windows' Control Panel.

Not to distract from Chris' help. He's probably got the Big Clue for you here.

Leion

#21 Post by Leion » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:18 pm

o1001010 wrote:leion you still have no answered who is your phone's carrier
i am from singapore
the phone is Siements SX1, i am on Mobile One network.
The phone has full bluetooth features as I am able to send a file to my desktop with the same procedure.

Leion

#22 Post by Leion » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:28 pm

christopher_wolf wrote:Well, I finally checked out my Bluetooth Settings; these may or may not help, but they do provide a datapoint for which we know at least several machines work. I have not altered or modified the following in any way:

---------------------------------------------------***GENERAL***
Device Type: Thinkpad Integrated Bluetooth IV
Manufacturer: WIDCOMM
------------------------------------------------- ***DETAILS***
Driver Provider: WIDCOMM
Driver Date: 9/15/2005 (latest as far as I know and checked withsoftware installer)
Driver Version: 3.0.1.918
Digital Signer: Not digitally signed
-------------------------------------------------***DRIVER FILE DETAILS***
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\btwusb.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERSfrmupgr.sys
(Both are the aformentioned version, 3.0.1.918, and are provided by Broadcom Corporation)

Then there is quite alot of info when it comes to the Details and instance tags; I will list some of the ones I think might be important;

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_201E\5&1227F778&0&1 (Device Instance Id; important for windows to get a handle on it)

Firmware Revision: 00.09

Hardware Ids:
USB\Vid_0a5c&Pid_201e&Rev_0009
USB\Vid_0a5c&Pid_201e

And that's about it...There are a bunch of other Power and Wake S1, S2, S3 state configurations, but I don't think those would have much to do with any bluetooth to bluetooth device connection problem; interestingly enough, the hardware ids are listed under USB...So maybe there could be an issue with the USB too, though that is a long shot and I don't think it is probable. The way I got this was to open up the Thinkpad Configuration utility and click on Add-on Devices, Tab 2. This is the same thing has the Hardware Profiler in the System App in the Control Panel. Check out your settings and see what, if any, differences there are and where. HTH :)

yes i have the same drivers as you have :)

Leion

#23 Post by Leion » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:29 pm

Thanks alot for your help :) think i will try the MS drivers when I am free...

Leion

#24 Post by Leion » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:49 pm

I have tried the MS drivers. they are worse.

now i am back to IBM drivers with the same problem :(

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: bluetooth on T43

#25 Post by davidspalding » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:38 pm

Leion wrote:I am only able to send files from my T43 to my phone. but when I wanted to send files from the phone to my laptop, it will report fail.

I am able to send to my desktop though. Is there some configuration that I did wrongly?
Well, if it's still failing, I think we need to drill down on what "it will report fail" means. Do you get a specific error message on your phone? If so, what is the error?

Also, did you try to configure local BT services on your T43 as I suggested? I ask, since I can do this just FINE on my T43. It's not like your BT card or drivers are broken. I still think it's a configuration issue.

Leion

#26 Post by Leion » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:08 pm

yes i enabled all the services and everything you mentioned.

the failure msg is just "Sending failed"

:(

Leion

#27 Post by Leion » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:59 pm

finally I know what went wrong!

I have to set the setting under PIM items and set "All other types" under "recieved items" to "save in folder".

strange thing is why is a pic considered at a PIM item?

thanks everyone :)

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#28 Post by davidspalding » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:15 pm

... Something to do with "syncing," as PIM and file transfer seem to get confused in the Microsoft way of thinking. Aaaaaanyway, glad we could help you get up and happily transmitting.

Now next challenge ... using your phone as a digital modem, or (can it even be done?) using the laptop speakers and microphone for the phone's audio device, like a speaker phone. 8) :lol:

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#29 Post by christopher_wolf » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:05 pm

Using the phone as a Modem? It can be done.

I don't know about the routing of the phone through the speakers and microphone. :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#30 Post by davidspalding » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:29 pm

I know, I've done the modem thing. Handy where there's no Wifi, and Earthlink provides 20 hours of dial-up.

As for the audio gateway thing,... I'll try it sometime. When I'm bored. But don't wait up for me. ;)