Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

CD drive system label problem

T4x series specific matters only
noeffort
Freshman Member

CD drive system label problem

#1 Post by noeffort » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:15 am

reinstalled xp on my new 7200 hitachi drive (runs cool, quiet and fast!) in my t41. I partitioned new drive with plans to label partitions c, d, e, f. CD drive always recognized as the D drive. How do I get xp to label this as "g" drive....

thanks in advance....

makai

#2 Post by makai » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Hello,

Before you partition your drive, go to the Start menu and right click on MyComputer, In the drop down menu, choose Manage. In the Computer Management window, choose Disk Management.

In the bottom right of the window, you will see your CDROm. Right click on it and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths. A new window will open... select the Change radio button. Another window will open where you will be able to select the drive letter you wish to change it to.

Recommended drive letter to choose is Z.

You may have to restart your computer.

After you're done partitioning your drive, go back to Disk management and change the letter to G.

EDITED
Whoops! Sounds like you already partitioned. Sorry. In any case, you can still go into Disk Management and do the steps to change the drive letters.
Hawaii born, living in California.
T41, T42, X31, X61S

noeffort
Freshman Member

thank you!

#3 Post by noeffort » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 pm

makai wrote:Hello,

Before you partition your drive, go to the Start menu and right click on MyComputer, In the drop down menu, choose Manage. In the Computer Management window, choose Disk Management.

In the bottom right of the window, you will see your CDROm. Right click on it and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths. A new window will open... select the Change radio button. Another window will open where you will be able to select the drive letter you wish to change it to.

Recommended drive letter to choose is Z.

You may have to restart your computer.

After you're done partitioning your drive, go back to Disk management and change the letter to G.

EDITED
Whoops! Sounds like you already partitioned. Sorry. In any case, you can still go into Disk Management and do the steps to change the drive letters.
Makai,
Thank you!
off topic.......
I just removed norton antivirus from my pc. Norton was the virus! What a job to remove. My system boots and runs much faster....
Here is a great link for some excellent software:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46 ... lities.htm
I just downloaded the AVG Free antivirus with free auto updates.... also using Kerio firewall for the last couple of months...

Thanks again.....

Nick Y

Re: thank you!

#4 Post by Nick Y » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:41 am

noeffort wrote:...Here is a great link for some excellent software:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46 ... lities.htm....
Also off-topic, but did not know about the site above and very useful it is too.

Nick

(my apologies to moderators for being off-topic)
IBM ThinkPad T43-2668-F5G,
T41p-2373-GEG & a T61-6466-9YG

makai

#5 Post by makai » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 pm

I just removed norton antivirus from my pc. Norton was the virus! What a job to remove. My system boots and runs much faster....
Norton is the very first thing I remove on my Thinkpads. Don't forget to remove Live update and Wmi something or other... both belong to Norton.

I have also been using AVG for a long time on both my Thinkpads and my Desktops. Thanks for the link, btw! I bookmarked it! :)
Hawaii born, living in California.
T41, T42, X31, X61S