Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How long should a TP keep working?

T4x series specific matters only

How long should a T4x work without failure?

One year
1%
Two years
3%
Three years
34%
Forever
62%

Total votes: 79

fschwep
Sophomore Member

How long should a TP keep working?

#1 Post by fschwep » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:24 am

After reading this in another thread:
"I have been a thinkpad user for more than 3 years starting with thinkpad x30,x31,T30,T41 and now T42"
I got to thinking. How long are we supposed to use our machines anyway? Are we happy if the thing has been working for three months without obvious failure, and ready to throw it out the window when it fails after more than a year, or if another more flashy model is introduced?
How long have all you guys/girls been using your ThinkPads before they failed and/or were replaced by something newer? And if they failed, were they spontaneous (i.e. manufacturing) failures or likely due to some sort of mistreatment (like bouncing them on a hard floor, being struck by lightning, getting drowned or splashed)?
My T42 failed (mobo) after about 20 months of fulltime use. Just like that, in the morning it worked perfectly and after lunch it just gave up. I had a T22m before that, which ran a little more than 2 years before it figured that a nearby lightning strike was too much for its sensitive innards (mind you, we had full spike protection for the house and a cascade of protective equipment). Before that I had a T340 (student model) which, in fact, still works if only with DOS/Win 3.11, but it did suffer BIOS memory loss once and of course its battery is worthless now. Before that I used a Tosh 1000LE which was full metal, had a superb keyboard and was built to be used as a blunt instrument in a fight. Of course it also cost more than twice as much as high-end T4x with all the goodies costs today, and it was only a 286 CPU with 1MB RAM and a 20 MB (!) harddisk running DOS and WordPerfect 5... and before THAT there was the Tosh 3100 luggable weighing in at 7 kilo's, no battery, red plasma screen and a huge built-in handle/support to lug it around. Not to mention the original IBM PC in the stone age of the late 80's. Those earlier machines were dinosaurs compared to our elegant little notebooks of today, but they took a lot of bashing (like a brontosaur would) and usually just worked. I remember one of my colleagues, who smoked noxious hand-rolled Gouloises, regularly shaking enough tobacco out of her (Tosh and IBM) keyboards to roll a couple of extra cigarettes with...
Now do we feel happy with the obvious trade-off of reliability/longevity versus light weight and supercomputer-class all-singing, all-dancing specifications? How many TPs must we keep in our stables to ensure that we always have one that works when a machine suffers the apparently inevitable breakdown? Should Lenovo sell them in lots of two for the price of one as at least one of them will fail disastrously within the warranty period?
How is this today with other brands? I read unfavourable comments on Dell but have little idea how other brands compare (not that I have much hope things are better elsewhere). Have things deteriorated since production moved to China and then after Lenovo took over completely?
Would anyone here be prepared to pay extra for a machine that was proven to be practically indestructible and, in the rare case of getting broken, would be repaired for free at your kitchen table by a capable person, next business day, guaranteed?

Personally, if I buy a high-end product and pay extra for three years on-site warranty, I expect that a) failure within that time frame should be a rare exception, and b) that it will be serviced, pronto, on the spot. b) is obviously possible if a) is true. If it is not, why pay extra for a high-end machine like a T42 instead of buying say an R50e that, in real life, does most of what the T42 does, at close to half the investment (and why not, in that case, buy two of them so you have a spare when the first breaks down, and forget about buying extra warranty)?

So start shooting.
T42 (14"/250GB/1.5GB; NL; with minidock); R51 (15" flexview/40GB/1 GB). X31 (12"/320GB/1GB); T42 (14"/60GB/1GB; FR)

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#2 Post by christopher_wolf » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:16 pm

For me, 3 years + would be a minimum. I expect any Thinkpad I buy to last at *least* 3 years if not 5 to 10.

Yes, I am perfectly serious. :D

Thus far, over the 10 Thinkpads I have personally used as my main machines, I have never been disappointed.

If my 701c has lasted this long and is still perfectly functional with over an hour for the battery life, then I know my T43 will do the same. :)
IBM ThinkPad T43 Model 2668-72U 14.1" SXGA+ 1GB |IBM 701c

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"

JaneL
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by JaneL » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:28 pm

My answer would depend on what you meant by failure? Does failure mean the unit never has to go in for service, or does it mean falling-apart, not-worth-repairing failure after 3-5 years of service?
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

GomJabbar

#4 Post by GomJabbar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:08 pm

'Til Hell freezes over....... :!:
[I can dream can't I?]

I think 5-years is not unrealistic. The ThinkPad 600E that I passed on to my daughter is still working, and it is about 7-years old.
DKB

mybellyisempty

#5 Post by mybellyisempty » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:15 pm

I have a 3 year at home warranty for the T43 I have. I demand that it work properly that long.

I expect to work for longer than that though....although I may not expect to be using it afterwards.

I've never had a computer that I've used for over 16 months. My T42P lasted that long before I sold it off....still good as new.

Due to what I did on my T43, I expect to be able to last 3 years as far as hardware specs being adequate, I expect the machine to physically last longer, assuming no abuse.

Hdds can go bad, keyboards can wear out...but as far as something that is not easily repairable...3+ years.
DS1100(work-built): i7 2700K; 16GB; 64GB SSD & 2x 500GB 7200; 970; U2410
Thinkpad Yoga 260: i5 6200u; 16GB; 256GB SSD; 12.5" 1080p
NUC: I5-4250; 12GB; 256GB SSD & 1TB 5400

ex-SOLDIER

#6 Post by ex-SOLDIER » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:25 pm

It'll Outlive me...=(

KristianJ
Moderator1
Moderator1

#7 Post by KristianJ » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:36 pm

GomJabbar wrote:'Til Hell freezes over....... :!:
[I can dream can't I?]

I think 5-years is not unrealistic. The ThinkPad 600E that I passed on to my daughter is still working, and it is about 7-years old.
We all can! :lol:

I bought my T40 with the expectation that it'll perform without major troubles for another 2 years or so, which would equate to 5 years (since it's a month away from 3 years old). And I think my 760XL was my main laptop for a year and a half before I moved on from that.
X220 4291-46M
HP Pavilion dv7-2109tx

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by JHEM » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 pm

I was all set to wax poetic about how I expect my T41p to serve me or someone in my family in one capacity or another for years to come.

Then my display went off!

Tried everything, must be the backlight or inverter.

Ah well, swapped the HD into my backup T41p (GGU) and I'm up and running again. It's off to Memphis on Monday for my GEU.

Kismet?

James
James at thinkpads dot com
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

grimmster

#9 Post by grimmster » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:26 pm

except maybe a harddrive failure, I think these would last a very long time. up until just last year I was using a 600e almost daily, alongside my T21 and that came out what, 8 years ago or so?

K. Eng
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#10 Post by K. Eng » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:52 pm

I voted for "3 years" because that was the best choice. I think it is unreasonable to expect that a ThinkPad will last forever. The expectation is unreasonable because a ThinkPad is a machine, and all machines inevitably suffer failures.

I bought my T40 in April 2003, and it suffered its first system board failure around March of 2004. The replacement board failed in November 2004, and the replacement for the second board failed in April 2005. I don't think these failures were a result of mistreatment. I thought the HDD would be the first part to fail because it contains moving parts, but the HDD is still in perfect shape.

I agree with your conclusions. A high end machine should be more reliable and come with better service and support. Sadly, that is not always the case.
Homebuilt PC: AMD Athlon XP (Barton) @ 1.47 GHz; nForce2 Ultra; 1GB RAM; 80GB HDD @ 7200RPM; ATI Radeon 9600; Integrated everything else!

fschwep
Sophomore Member

Three years...

#11 Post by fschwep » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:25 am

K.Eng said
I voted for "3 years" because that was the best choice. I think it is unreasonable to expect that a ThinkPad will last forever. The expectation is unreasonable because a ThinkPad is a machine, and all machines inevitably suffer failures.

I bought my T40 in April 2003, and it suffered its first system board failure around March of 2004. The replacement board failed in November 2004, and the replacement for the second board failed in April 2005. I don't think these failures were a result of mistreatment. I thought the HDD would be the first part to fail because it contains moving parts, but the HDD is still in perfect shape.

I agree with your conclusions. A high end machine should be more reliable and come with better service and support. Sadly, that is not always the case.
To elaborate a bit more, I agree that three years (i.e. the maximum warranty period) is probably the best answer. A TP is indeed a complex machine, with moving parts and with things like a backlight that tend to wear out like any light bulb. Batteries don't last forever either. Harddisks certainly don't. OTOH, a motherboard has no moving parts and should be able to last a lot longer than those three years when it has no manufacturing/design weaknesses. I'd expect a T42 that is not mistreated to last physically longer than its economic lifespan, if only as a backup machine for a newer model that takes over the role of principal laptop. [/quote]
T42 (14"/250GB/1.5GB; NL; with minidock); R51 (15" flexview/40GB/1 GB). X31 (12"/320GB/1GB); T42 (14"/60GB/1GB; FR)

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

#12 Post by Kyocera » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:47 am

Till you can't get parts no more?

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#13 Post by christopher_wolf » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:04 pm

Having the system work, essentially, forever isn't impossible. As long as you treat any existing problems and prevent future ones with due dilligence, it should work fine. Of course, if the T40 has had 3 new system boards in that short of a time span...I wouldn't know what to think.

But I think what Kyocera said nails it pretty good too. :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

wantathinkpad
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by wantathinkpad » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:25 pm

If you want it to last two 5 years you can buy warranty again before the 3 years are up right?

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#15 Post by davidspalding » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:02 pm

Well, I had to pick "forever," because your next choice, "Three years," is woefully short for most, well-built, well-cared-for laptops. I've had my Omnibook for 8 years, and though not being used continually it's on 24/7/365, and it's still in fine working order. (In fact, I just remoted into it to check my LAN watch log.)
2668-75U T43, 2GB RAM, 2nd hand NMB kybd, Dock II, spare Mini-Dock, and spare Port Replicators. Wacom BT tablet. Ultrabay 2nd HDD.
2672-KBU X32, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm TravelStar HDD.

wantathinkpad
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by wantathinkpad » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:17 pm

davidspalding wrote:Well, I had to pick "forever," because your next choice, "Three years," is woefully short for most, well-built, well-cared-for laptops. I've had my Omnibook for 8 years, and though not being used continually it's on 24/7/365, and it's still in fine working order. (In fact, I just remoted into it to check my LAN watch log.)
Actuall I agree with that. In general laptops last awhile. At college many of my friends who had their laptops as freshman have them through their senior year.

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#17 Post by christopher_wolf » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:08 pm

wantathinkpad wrote:
davidspalding wrote:Well, I had to pick "forever," because your next choice, "Three years," is woefully short for most, well-built, well-cared-for laptops. I've had my Omnibook for 8 years, and though not being used continually it's on 24/7/365, and it's still in fine working order. (In fact, I just remoted into it to check my LAN watch log.)
Actuall I agree with that. In general laptops last awhile. At college many of my friends who had their laptops as freshman have them through their senior year.
Yup, I still expect that out of my Thinkpads; the market at the large seems to think that laptops are supposed to last around 2 years at most before the customer buys another one due to increases in technology and cost....but by that logic, desktops should last far shorter; trouble is, they don't. Inverting that makes much more sense, laptops *should* last longer than 2 years due to the expensive of buying a hi-tech piece of equipment that is on the cutting edge, it is much costly to replace it every 2 years than, say, every 5 + years unless the rate of hardware advancement skyrockets exponentially.

~o/
But she is an IBM.

ex-SOLDIER

#18 Post by ex-SOLDIER » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:19 pm

One nightmare of people having is buying the latest hardware only to find it obsolete the next day. It's like buying an Ipod the day before the Ipod Video came out...

emit

#19 Post by emit » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:36 am

ex-SOLDIER wrote:One nightmare of people having is buying the latest hardware only to find it obsolete the next day. It's like buying an Ipod the day before the Ipod Video came out...
Or how about price drops.. I just bought a T43 from Newegg and a month later Lenovo decides to put out a $200 rebate on the same model :evil:

As for the original question I expect at least 3 years. My first thinkpad, a T30 actually failed within 6 months (refurbished). But what impressed me was that it only took three days to get the laptop fixed and back in my hands.. which is what convinced me to get a new T43. At least now I can worry less about hardware failures with IBM/Lenovo warranty.

yossarian
Freshman Member

#20 Post by yossarian » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:52 am

I was going to say I'd expect cocroaches and thinkpads to survive a nuclear war, but then I remembered the EMP :?

ex-SOLDIER

#21 Post by ex-SOLDIER » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:08 pm

yossarian wrote:I was going to say I'd expect cocroaches and thinkpads to survive a nuclear war, but then I remembered the EMP :?
Maybe a lead shielding or so?

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#22 Post by christopher_wolf » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:17 pm

ex-SOLDIER wrote:
yossarian wrote:I was going to say I'd expect cocroaches and thinkpads to survive a nuclear war, but then I remembered the EMP :?
Maybe a lead shielding or so?
Encase the device in a hermetically sealed metal case (either that or with the addition of a faraday cage inside the case as well, add wire meshing if you want), that is pretty much it; preferably, use twisted pair cables, don't loop cables, keep them at ground level and as commonly grounded as possible (also make sure your groundings have the lowest possible impedance), also try to reduce external cable length as they act as "conductors" for the EMP waves.

All EMP really is is a bunch of radio waves, on the order of 1KHz to 100MHz and some severe peak amplitudes (usually around 50KV) over a small field distance (~1-2 meters). They have a *huge* power density, way more than what most systems have engineered tolerances for. Such high amplitudes generate little currents in equipment, especially vulnerable are smaller and smaller circuits due to current limits and overheating; that is the main effect of EMP.

That said, with the proper measures, a Thinkpad can withstand everything from HEMP (high-altitude orign, very wide area coverage; most dangerous), to SREMP (the nuclear blast will be close enough that you should have gotten out of there in the first place); maybe not SGEMP because that involves the actual gamma rays hitting the metal chassis and shooting off x-rays...at which point, you are either insanely close to the blast zone or you are in outer space. Although I am pretty sure that NASA uses a 700 Series Thinkpad on the Shuttle flights (See; http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/shu ... s-tpcs.htm ; the good old 755C :) ) and they don't appear to have hardened it against anything.; then again, the space shuttle probably has enough protection from gamma rays to render that concern negilgible. The Army and Navy also have done alot of research into this and have *tons* of info about it should you want. :)

Maybe that is the next thing that IBM/Lenovo will offer; an EMP shielding internal/external cage/dock for the Thinkpads or a EMP shielded carrying case; although I bet I could make one of those cases easier and for far less. :D
Last edited by christopher_wolf on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~o/
But she is an IBM.

ex-SOLDIER

#23 Post by ex-SOLDIER » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:29 pm

Ah...The joy of making an item that will outlast its creator...

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#24 Post by JHEM » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:46 pm

A simple Faraday Cage will protect against all EMPs.

Regards,

James
James at thinkpads dot com
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#25 Post by christopher_wolf » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:04 pm

JHEM wrote:A simple Faraday Cage will protect against all EMPs.

Regards,

James
I know, but sometimes...sometimes I just like to be over-prepared; proper preparation and thought during action prevents poor-performance....Or maybe that is just my OCD coming through. :lol:

~o/
But she is an IBM.

archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#26 Post by archer6 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:29 am

christopher_wolf wrote: Thus far, over the 10 Thinkpads I have personally used as my main machines, I have never been disappointed.
My experience is the same, as I have always used my ThinkPads as my main computer. Each of them have countless hours of usage. 70 - 90% of my work day is spent on a ThinkPad.

This brings back great memories as I reflect back to my first ThinkPad 600 (which is still a joy to use, thank you). I too have experienced world class durability and reliability from my numerous ThinkPads. And that is just my personal ThinkPads. Taking into consideration the hundreds I have purchased over the years for my business, ThinkPad's track record is simply amazing.
Favorites From My ThinkPad Collection

Workstations... T40p ~ T41p ~ T42p ~ T43p ~ T60p ~ T61p ~ W500 ~ W510
T Series..... T22 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 41 ~ 42 ~ 43 ~ 60 ~ 400 ~ 500 ~ 510
X Series..... X20 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 60 ~ 60s ~ 200 ~ 200s ~ 301
Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12

egibbs

#27 Post by egibbs » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:58 am

I voted forever, but I recognize that might not be entirely practical. In a few billion years the sun will become a red giant and expand beyond the orbit of Mars, and that might cause problems. Even if the TP is safely in another solar system at that time, runaway inflation or the heat death of the universe might eventually lay it low.

But given that there are still lots of people running 600 and 700 series machines, 3 years is obviously way too low. And my T20 (what, 6 or 7 years now?) is still going strong and being used by my daughter for college stuff and my grand-daughter for kid stuff.

Of course, I still have my NEC Multispeed laptop - one heck of a machine. Dual 720K drives (no HDD), processor that can run at 4.77 or 8 Mhz (if the software can handle 8 MHz), blue monochrome LCD (no backlight). Haven't used it lately but I bet it would boot if I could find a DOS boot floppy.

Ed Gibbs

archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#28 Post by archer6 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:40 am

egibbs wrote:Of course, I still have my NEC Multispeed laptop - one heck of a machine.
Wow!.. I used one of those a "few" years back and should have hung onto it. I usually keep my laptops but I sold that one. I literally had an offer I could not refuse from a guy who really wanted it and was very convincing, plus he caught me in a mood to "reduce my inventory by one".

Enjoy that baby! It's a great reminder of how far we have come....

Archer6 :D
Favorites From My ThinkPad Collection

Workstations... T40p ~ T41p ~ T42p ~ T43p ~ T60p ~ T61p ~ W500 ~ W510
T Series..... T22 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 41 ~ 42 ~ 43 ~ 60 ~ 400 ~ 500 ~ 510
X Series..... X20 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 60 ~ 60s ~ 200 ~ 200s ~ 301
Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12

lithium726

#29 Post by lithium726 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:11 pm

Forever.

My T23 has yet to let me down, same with my T40. I fully expect them to keep on truckin, and I expect the same from the T60 that will soon be in my hands.
Thinkpad T60 2613-CTO (2\4m\667, 3GB, 200GB 7200, DVD-RW DL, SXGA+, 3945ABG, 128MB x1400, GBe, BT IV)
Thinkpad T40 2373-PU7 (1.7\2m\400, 2GB, 120GB 5400, DVD\CDRW, SXGA+, Intel 2915ABG, 32MB MR7500, GBe, BT II)
Thinkpad T23 2648-PS1 (1.2, 512mb, 2915ABG)

gunston
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#30 Post by gunston » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:13 am

forever :lol: :lol: :lol:
1. T43 2668-B97 14" SXGA+ 1.5G RAM 9cells
2. X60s 1703-CA3 powerful