Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T42 touchpad getting stuck?

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
steverod

T42 touchpad getting stuck?

#1 Post by steverod » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi all:

I have a T42 2379 and it's mostly great. However, recently I've noticed the
touchpad just ceasing to work all of a sudden, some time after a reboot.

I.e., I'l lbe using the touchpad and all of a sudden, it will stop working. Neither the pad nor the touchpad buttons responds at al. The TrackPoint works just fine, but that's not an acceptable solution because it really
gives my hands grief.

A reboot fixes everything, for a while. The touchpad works just fine for a period, then stops.

Once the touchpad has stopped responding, any attempts to try to configure the UltraNav results in that program just hanging (i.e., I try to look at the UltraNav tab and the device manager window never responds).

I am running Windows XP SP2, and have the most recent Ultranav drivers that I could find. (not too recent, 7.2.3.10: 6/24/2003)

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a software/driver issue, or is my touchpad hardware going bad, or something else?

Thanks!
--Steve

sugo
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#2 Post by sugo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:42 pm

steverod

Drivers don't make a difference.

#3 Post by steverod » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:54 am

I have updated to the latest drivers, I have removed the drivers (and XP has automatically re-installed them for me), and the touchpad continues to not work once I restart from hibernation/suspend.

Since quite a few people have looked and no one else seems to have this problem, I guess it's time for EasyServ...

--Steve

steverod

TouchPad followon: it's the drivers

#4 Post by steverod » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:12 pm

It appears that it's at least partially a software issue.

After downloading and installing the generic Synaptics drivers
(from, appopriately enough, www.synaptics.com), it's currently
working like a champ.

We will see how long this continues (i.e., if it's a hardware problem
or was purely software).

segbed

Re: T42 touchpad getting stuck?

#5 Post by segbed » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:53 am

did anyone noticed that in t42 touchpad work is interrupted by pressing any keyboard key? Looks like touchpad and keyboard use same resources and can't work simultaneously. Easily identified on shooters games where you need to move and aim simultaneously. Yes I know I can use a mouse. But still it brings some inconvenience. E.g. t60 and x201 have no such issue.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by dr_st » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:19 am

Did you notice that you are bumping a thread that's 18+ years old? It's old enough to drink alcohol in most parts of the world, but not in the United States. :)

But, yeah, I guess it is relevant and interesting info. No, I never noticed that, because in T42 era I never used the touchpad and would always just turn it off in the BIOS. The first Thinkpad where I didn't do it is the Thinkpad 25.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

segbed

#7 Post by segbed » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:17 am

dr_st wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:19 am
Did you notice that you are bumping a thread that's 18+ years old? It's old enough to drink alcohol in most parts of the world, but not in the United States. :)

But, yeah, I guess it is relevant and interesting info. No, I never noticed that, because in T42 era I never used the touchpad and would always just turn it off in the BIOS. The first Thinkpad where I didn't do it is the Thinkpad 25.
)))thanks any way. Seems fixed buy turning off "touchpad priority" option in touchpad settings. For some reason I didn't find solution before.
This forum and IBM thinkpads becoming better each year, like a good wine or whisky.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:53 am

That sounds like a feature to prevent accidental touchpad input while typing. When you type a key, the touchpad is temporarily disabled. After a delay it works again.

For example Windows 10 has this features enabled by default, bundled in with touchpad sensitivity. I turn it off because the delay phase also disables trackpoint buttons for some stupid reason. :x

Maybe Linux distros do a similar thing. Wouldn't surprise me. I'm not current with Linux but can't really speculate what other OS you'd be using on T42. Personally I'd go for Windows 7 which doesnt have this feature, I don't believe.