Windows 7 on the T43

T4x series specific matters only
Xenomorph
Sophomore Member

Windows 7 on the T43

#1 Post by Xenomorph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:44 pm

EDIT:

Whoops! I didn't even notice there was an ENTIRE Windows 7 sub-forum!

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=57

I saw very few Windows 7 threads, but I didn't see a main Windows 7 thread or any Windows 7 megathread.

Where can we go for more information on running Windows 7 on ThinkPads such as the T43?

I just got a ThinkPad T43, and the first thing I did on it after verifying everything worked (MemTest86+, DBAN, then MHDD), is installed Windows 7 on it.

After Windows 7 installed, I got all the drivers for just about all the hardware installed - except one thing. The Biometric Coprocessor.

For drivers, Windows Updates found the December 2008 release of ATI drivers and some other stuff (like Sound).
I used the latest drivers for the 2915ABG (XP) from Intel's site.

I downloaded the latest Fingerprint Scanner package from Lenovo's site for Vista/32.

The software installed, but it didn't install a driver for the Biometric Coprocessor.
After install, the software would just crash on every load. (Under Vista, the driver was installed fine and I could run the software without issue.)

Other than the Fingerprint Scanner, everything seemed to work great. Windows 7 will be better on the Laptop than Windows Vista is.

My Windows 7 score:

CPU: 3.7 (pentium M 2.0 ghz)
RAM: 4.4 (two 512 sticks)
Desktop Graphics: 2.0 (mobility radeon x300)
Gaming Graphics: 3.3
Primary Hard Disk: 2.0

Overall: 2.0

My Windows Vista score:

CPU: 3.9
RAM: 4.4
Graphics: 2.1
Gaming: 3.2
Hard Disk: 4.3

Overall: 2.1
ThinkPad 560X
ThinkPad T23