Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Wiped hard disk, need to install thinkpad utilities

T4x series specific matters only
joefried

Wiped hard disk, need to install thinkpad utilities

#1 Post by joefried » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:49 am

I wiped my C: drive on my T43 by accident and though I've installed a number of Thinkpad utilities (downloaded from Lenovo) including presentation director, active protection, ultranav and power management) my thinkpad is still not working as it should -- sleeping when I close the lid, hibernating at F12, etc. Nor does the power management software in the intray have all the options I'm used to. Could you suggest what I need to download to restore my old thinkpad...

Many thanks,

Joe

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Wiped hard disk, need to install thinkpad utilities

#2 Post by killer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:46 am

Joe, Sorry to hear you wiped your T43's hard drive. Did you wipe the hidden Rescue & Recovery partition as well? Press the Access IBM button when you power on the machine and see if it allows you to do a restore. If it doesn't offer a restore then you are in the smelly stuff and you need to install loads of programs to get back to normal.

Looking on my machine I have several folders with names including; Ibmtools, Lenovo, Thinkpad, Thinkvantage, etc. Each of these contains programs that have been either factory installed or added via System Update. SU no longer works, but the word is that something will be around in May that will allow you to download all the required software. (Don't hold your breath.)

Which model of T43 do you have? Mine is 1871-FWG and I have a set of recovery CDs for that model. If you also have model 1871 then you could use those to get yourself back to factory settings which would be a start.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

joefried

#3 Post by joefried » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks for replying. My model is 2687 I don't get any response from the Access IBM button so I'm in for a long term install. One immediate problem is that though I was able to download a driver for my wireless, I don't seem to be able to connect through through my ethernet connection. Do I need a separate driver for that?

Joe

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by killer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 am

It's a shame that the R&R bit has been wiped too. Your model is different from mine but someone on ebay might have the factory reset disks for your model.

Regarding your ethernet connection, you do need drivers for this to work. My machine has a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet driver (according to Device Manager). I have no idea whether your model requires the same or different driver. Try looking on the Lenovo support website.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by killer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:29 am

Joe, I had a look at Lenovo's support site and this is the page you need to go to do download the driver for ethernet connection:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-58618

I hope this helps.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

joefried

#6 Post by joefried » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks very much for that. My ethernet port is now in operation again.

One thing I've noticed is that my screen seems to flicker almost every time i take some action -- delete an email in Outlook Express, enter a transaction in Quicken. Is there utility for this too?

Joe

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by killer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:15 am

No idea, I've not heard of that one before. Try doing a search through all the entries on the forum.
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by davidspalding » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:06 pm

You'll need the power management driver, AND Power Manager. I believe the version 1.52 power mgmt drier and 1.13c of Power Manager work best for me (T43, X32). If you can't find them, PM me.
2668-75U T43, 2GB RAM, 2nd hand NMB kybd, Dock II, spare Mini-Dock, and spare Port Replicators. Wacom BT tablet. Ultrabay 2nd HDD.
2672-KBU X32, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm TravelStar HDD.

CeeDee
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by CeeDee » Wed May 06, 2009 5:57 am

Sounds like you don't have the correct video driver installed, go to the Lenovo site and let it disscover your TP iit will then give you a list of drivers etc. for your specific TP. When you download a driver, make a note of the locatiion because you then have to manually install.
For what it's worth, the restore disks that yyouu were offered should work they generally cover more than one type.
Regards
Colin D.
T-60p Core 2 Duo T7200 4gig ram. ips uxga 160g Intel SSD. 320g-7200 Hitachi hd. Or DVDRW DL in Ultrabay
past: 600x T-23 T-30 S-30 T-41 X-32 T-60