Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Loose Connection when I plus in AC Adapter on T42

T4x series specific matters only
t42User

Loose Connection when I plus in AC Adapter on T42

#1 Post by t42User » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:04 pm

When I plug the AC adapter into my T42 it is very loose and wiggles around. I have to jiggle the plug just right to get it to charge the battery or power the laptop. Is it possible to open up the laptop and tighten something up or resolve this. What other options are available.

Thanks

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Loose Connection when I plus in AC Adapter on T42

#2 Post by poshgeordie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Welcome to the forums.

The DC connector is probably worn out, but it's quite easy to replace as follows:

You can buy a suitable replacement from eBay.
Alternatively put in a Want to Buy in the Marketplace here in the forums.

Refer to this document which shows you how to strip down the laptop.

You will need to completely strip the Thinkpad to the end of the document.

Carefully remove the motherboard and rear metal plate assembly from the base.

Detach the rear metal plate from the motherboard by undoing the two hexagonal bolts either side of the parallel port, using a suitable spanner or pair or pliers.

Remove the old connector and fit the new one.

Reassemble in reverse order.

jimgard

#3 Post by jimgard » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Is this absolutely the only way to replace it? I'm having this problem, and it's driving me crazy. And I feel like if I'm stripping the entire laptop, I might as well just buy a whole new shell with a better mobo for my T40... do I have any options there?
Thanks for the help.

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by poshgeordie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:30 am

It's not actually as difficult as it seems and the problem with buying a new mobo is you don't know what hidden problems it may have - ie unsoldered graphics or southbridge chips (to say nothing of the expense).

I'd suggest spending a little bit of time following my instructions for stripping the laptop down, and when you hit a problem to stop and get back here so we can help you over that bit.

GENERAL WARNING - don't strain or bend the mobo and potentially cause the graphics / southbridge chips to become unsoldered. It's V unlikely this will happen but it's better to be aware of it.

The only slightly tricky bit is removing the mobo out of the bottom case:

1. Lift the top right corner metal chassis with the VGA connector out of the base so it just clears the top of the base.

2. The board is now held in on the left hand side o fthe base by the two red and blue audio connectors. Ease the base edge outwards slightly and very gently pull the mobo inwards so the two parts separate. You should now be able to pull the mobo towards you out of the base.

3. Occasionally the mobo catches on a metal shield at the back of the base near the DC connector. To free it, VERY GENTLY lift the board up whilst supporting it underneath around the CPU area. This is so you don't strain or bend the mobo and cause the graphics or southbridge chips to become unsoldered. It should free itself from the edge of the shield.

I've done a lot of these and it's actually very easy so don't let the instructions put you off.

Get back with any problems.

Nick Y

#5 Post by Nick Y » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:38 pm

t42User wrote:When I plug the AC adapter into my T42 it is very loose and wiggles around. I have to jiggle the plug just right to get it to charge the battery or power the laptop. Is it possible to open up the laptop and tighten something up or resolve this. What other options are available...
Sounds exactly like the problem I had. So it could just be that one of the wire solder joints onto the connector has broken -as on our T41p. With care I was able to re-solder the wires and all was OK after that -without removing the motherboard. Also, there is a cross-head screw holding the power socket in place, which may need to be tightened.

I hope that this helps you.
IBM ThinkPad T43-2668-F5G,
T41p-2373-GEG & a T61-6466-9YG

jimgard

#6 Post by jimgard » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

poshgeordie wrote:It's not actually as difficult as it seems and the problem with buying a new mobo is you don't know what hidden problems it may have - ie unsoldered graphics or southbridge chips (to say nothing of the expense).

I'd suggest spending a little bit of time following my instructions for stripping the laptop down, and when you hit a problem to stop and get back here so we can help you over that bit.

GENERAL WARNING - don't strain or bend the mobo and potentially cause the graphics / southbridge chips to become unsoldered. It's V unlikely this will happen but it's better to be aware of it.

The only slightly tricky bit is removing the mobo out of the bottom case:

1. Lift the top right corner metal chassis with the VGA connector out of the base so it just clears the top of the base.

2. The board is now held in on the left hand side o fthe base by the two red and blue audio connectors. Ease the base edge outwards slightly and very gently pull the mobo inwards so the two parts separate. You should now be able to pull the mobo towards you out of the base.

3. Occasionally the mobo catches on a metal shield at the back of the base near the DC connector. To free it, VERY GENTLY lift the board up whilst supporting it underneath around the CPU area. This is so you don't strain or bend the mobo and cause the graphics or southbridge chips to become unsoldered. It should free itself from the edge of the shield.

I've done a lot of these and it's actually very easy so don't let the instructions put you off.

Get back with any problems.
Okay great thank you. I've basically stripped down the computer to the mobo before, but never actually removed it. I got myself a second set of screws, as well as the replacement part. I'm going to tackle this sometime next week, I suppose. I hope I don't run into any problems, but I'm guessing I'll be back with some. Thanks a ton.

jimgard

#7 Post by jimgard » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Just another thought- since I'm going in there anyway, is there anything else I should consider replacing? Maintenance type things, or potential upgrades?

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by poshgeordie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm

If you're stripped down to the motherboard, it's probably worth removing and cleaning the dust out of the CPU fan and renewing the heatsink compound with Arctic Silver typically like this.