Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to remove long fan assembly heat sink from GPU

T4x series specific matters only
CyberDog

How to remove long fan assembly heat sink from GPU

#1 Post by CyberDog » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to remove the heat sink from the GPU on my T42p. It is the long assembly. I can see under the assembly that it is lifted off the CPU but there is a sandwich of several layers over the GPU and I can't see what part should stay and what should come up with the heat sink. All are very stuck.

Thanks for any advice!

- Bill

CyberDog

Re: How to remove long fan assembly heat sink from GPU

#2 Post by CyberDog » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 pm

This post (http://forums.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.p ... y&start=30) has some good information on how to remove it. Some people even had to use dental floss to get between the two.

My question is, did they "floss" between the copper heat sink and black gunk or between the black gunk and the layer below that. I'm planning on moving the heat sink to a new motherboard so I'd like to just reuse the black gunk.

- Bill

CyberDog wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to remove the heat sink from the GPU on my T42p. It is the long assembly. I can see under the assembly that it is lifted off the CPU but there is a sandwich of several layers over the GPU and I can't see what part should stay and what should come up with the heat sink. All are very stuck.

Thanks for any advice!

- Bill

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:34 pm

The 'gunk' is a thermal pad, which you can replace.
Cut it up/off any way you want, then clean all of it away.
Alternatively, get a piece of 2mm thick (or 2 pieces of 1mm thick) copperplate, the size of your GPU.
Put that on the GPU with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste between gpu/layer(s)/bottom of cooler.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes)

CyberDog

#4 Post by CyberDog » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Ok, I got it off. I cut around the pad with a razor blade and worked under it with a flat screwdiver and pushed horizontally and it popped up. It has the pink piece between the black bad and the ATi chip and it is still in one piece without any rips so I hopefully will just be able to reuse it with my new board.

- Bill

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by poshgeordie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:31 pm

I remove these every day and the best way is similar to what you've done Bill, but a quicker way is to use a very small slotted screwdriver (jewellers screwdriver size) and place it horizontally against the top right corner on the GPU heatsink.

Then using something for a "hammer" like a pair of pliers, tap it against the screwdriver a few times.

Then down to the bottom right hand corner of the GPU heatsink and repeat.

The heatsink usually lifts gently up with hardly any marks on the top of the GPU heatsink.

I then use flux remover - or an alcohol based cleaner to soften any black gunge on the top of the GPU and get a nice clean surface.

I like RBS's idea of using copper plate - a good source is modelling brass which I found in UK on eBay. It will give much better heat transmission than the pink pad. (I guess copper or brass are both OK?)

Just remember to use very thin layers of Arctic Silver since it's there to fill in any imperfections between totally flat faces, not to fill in craters!

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Norway Pad » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

You help once again. :)

I need to do this sometime this week, as I am changing the fan/heatsink on the T43. When I have worked on computers before this, I have usually never cared if I use some force (within reason, of course) to remove a stuck heat sink from a processor or another chip. But with the potential loose GPU issue in mind, the last thing I want to do is to apply too much force (or force at all..) to my ATI chip.

So if I got you right, you put the screwdriver against the edge of the copper heat sink above the GPU unit and tap in the direction of the fan?

I can probably get far by being careful, just felt like trying to replicate your method since you do these things for a living.
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.

Paul Pennington
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Paul Pennington » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:50 pm

The Arctic Silver folks recommend using "Goof Off" paint remover to clean the parts prior to applying a thin layer of their product. Works very well. Don't know if that's available outside the US. Check the Arctic Silver web site for the chemical name of the product, which I forget.
My ThinkPads: 700C(2+), 701C(2), 380XD, 385XD, 390X, T23, A31(2), T42(3)

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by poshgeordie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:45 am

Norway Pad wrote:You help once again. :)

I need to do this sometime this week, as I am changing the fan/heatsink on the T43. When I have worked on computers before this, I have usually never cared if I use some force (within reason, of course) to remove a stuck heat sink from a processor or another chip. But with the potential loose GPU issue in mind, the last thing I want to do is to apply too much force (or force at all..) to my ATI chip.

So if I got you right, you put the screwdriver against the edge of the copper heat sink above the GPU unit and tap in the direction of the fan?
Yes NP - screwdriver horizontal (as far as is possible)with tiny jewellers screwdriver flat blade against the top right hand corner resting against the black goo and resting on the top of the GPU heatsink, and the screwdr. facing towards the fan.
I just use very gentle taps on the handle end so the SD blade starts slipping between goo and the GPU top.

I then stop and repeat for the bottom RH corner all exactly the same, and usually the fan just lifts off very gently.

Sometimes need to repeat the cycle.

I can now do it so there are no marks at all on the top of the GPU heatsink.

The advantage of this is that there is no twisting action, upward strain on the GPU, but it more a case of the fan lifting off the top of the GPU.

I'd do photos but don't have the camera here.

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by Norway Pad » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Yes, that worked. Thank you!

I was surprised by how stuck the pink pad really was to the GPU. I made a little track with dental floss first, then I tapped the screwdriver in 3 different places, and it finally lifted up. So I hope I didn't put too much stress on the GPU. I can see that it is easy to do damage here, taken into consideration that the GPU is a weak spot to begin with.

Otherwise it was a quick operation, and I am now online from the T43 again. No grinding noises from the fan anymore.

I also noticed the small red dots of glue/epoxy around the GPU and the North/Southbridge chips, which IBM did in order to help the issue. I took some pictures, and I can upload to Picasa and share if anyone is interested.
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by poshgeordie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 am

The red dots (which can also be black or an orangey colour) are epoxy and I guess are supposed to reduce the chips from becoming unsoldered.

You can guess the age of a board from the colour of the dots, with the earliest ones having none up to the the most recent incarnation being strips of clear epoxy, with dots inbetween.

c_frank

#11 Post by c_frank » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 pm

HELP!!! Have I killed the GPU in my T43? When I was seperating the heatsink from the gpu I got the top of the GPU too. The metal part that says ati and all of the other info about the chip. What i am looking at now is 3 smaller chips that were under the metal part.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#12 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Nope, you're OK, that's just the cover that came off...

Just re-install it carefully and the heatsink will hold it in place.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

c_frank

#13 Post by c_frank » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm

ajkula66 wrote:Nope, you're OK, that's just the cover that came off...

Just re-install it carefully and the heatsink will hold it in place.
Should I use any thermal paste between the cover and the chips on the gpu?

FTC

#14 Post by FTC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Should I use any thermal paste between the cover and the chips on the gpu?
Yes, put a thin layer of thermal paste there...
760CD -> 770X -> 600E -> T23 -> T40 -> T42 -> T400 -> T430
Thinkpad T430 i5 3320M 320GB HD, 8GB Mem

c_frank

#15 Post by c_frank » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Should I completely cover the back side of the cover with a thin layer or just each individual chip?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#16 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:31 pm

An extremely thin layer is fine...honestly, you can do without anything.

Too thick of a layer is a lot worse than having nothing at all.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

FTC

#17 Post by FTC » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 am

Should I completely cover the back side of the cover with a thin layer or just each individual chip?
Thermal transfer will happen between the individual chip surfaces and the heat spreader (cover), so you only need to apply paste there. You can also put a 'rice grain' size of paste on the center of each chip's surface and let it be spreaded by the pressure of the cover.
760CD -> 770X -> 600E -> T23 -> T40 -> T42 -> T400 -> T430
Thinkpad T430 i5 3320M 320GB HD, 8GB Mem