Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Post HDD upgrade: Bluetooth does not turn on at boot

T4x series specific matters only
davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Post HDD upgrade: Bluetooth does not turn on at boot

#1 Post by davidspalding » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:48 am

After using an X32 for a while, I've upgraded my trusty T43 to a Hitachi 7K100 drive (and flashed it with the MCZIA5CA firmware to eliminate the 2010 error on boot), performance is faster, but there are a couple of idiosyncrasies that I can't seem to figure out. Particulars: Win XP Pro (shipped with T43), SP3.

Background: partitions (C:, U:, P:, L:) were backed up with Ghost. I used Ghost to copy from the original Toshiba HDD to the Hitachi in the UltraBay, then checked the HDD in the HDD0 position with PartitionMagic, all good. After these problems surfaced, I restored the system and program partitions (C:, U:, P:) with a Ghost recovery disc, checked again (all good), and booted. Same problems.

First one ... on boot, the Bluetooth is not enabled. This wasn't the case with the Toshiba HDD, and BIOS hardware settings weren't changed. I upgraded from the 3.0.1.918 drivers & software that were stable to 4.0.1.3000 (which I remember being stable, but adding nothing to this model's BT hw), no joy. I returned BIOS settings to factory default, no joy. This is consistent across multiple bootups.

Any troubleshooting suggestions welcome. :)
Last edited by davidspalding on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2668-75U T43, 2GB RAM, 2nd hand NMB kybd, Dock II, spare Mini-Dock, and spare Port Replicators. Wacom BT tablet. Ultrabay 2nd HDD.
2672-KBU X32, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm TravelStar HDD.

lukee

Re: Post HDD upgrade: Bluetooth does not turn on at boot

#2 Post by lukee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 am

What's your operating system?
Current: T420
Previous: T400, T43p Flexview, T40, R52, T43p 14"
My first ThinkPad was 570

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by davidspalding » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Sorry, I should known better than to post in a hurry before driving to work. LOL

XP Pro as shipped, upgraded to SP3 and all current Windows patches and updates (excepting hardware driver updates from MS, I found those usually broke functionality, so I stuck with IBM updates). For the most part I'm using the most recent IBM updates that fixed or enchanced for the T43.

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by davidspalding » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:50 am

While confirming that I still had my recovery discs and "post-setup and -update backup" discs, I happened up recovery backups I'd made in 2009. I'd restored the T43 to the 2005 post-setup backup, applied all known good updates since 11/2005, and saved as "New base recovery 2009." This was with little differences (setup of personal user, installation of third party content creation apps from Allaire, Adobe, et al) to the setup that I'd started using again this summer. So your suggestion was not as labor intensive as it seemed; I only need to apply 2 years of Windows updates (that'll kill a few hours), and install the applications again. IBM's System Migration Assistant will make easy work of copying over the user and MS Office settings.

Since I have all user files backed up, I decided to user R&R 3 from these disc to restore this to the Hitachi 7K100 drive. This completed without a hitch, and then booted up fine. With Bluetooth operating, using version 3.0.1.918 software. :??: Must have been something that happened to hardware by switching out hard drive, but resolved itself by booting up to an older, stable OS installation.