Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

My old 380

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
aoitenshi
Sophomore Member

My old 380

#1 Post by aoitenshi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 am

Hi,

actually this is my wife's laptop, kept years as a base for home UPS

unfortunately, the screen is well destroyed, but the laptop still shows it strength ..

tested during ThinkPad's 20th Anniversary on Jakarta (October 31st, 2012 ), using external monitor and borrowed 16V charger, the laptop came to life ... but the backup battery was totally exhausted

I've replaced the old backup battery, but got no time to "power her up" again because of my work ..

more pics in here
Hello world.

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: My old 380

#2 Post by Norway Pad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:24 pm

How come the screen became so bad? It almost seems like it's melted. Has it been exposed to heat, long periods of direct sunlight, or something else it wasn't meant for?

I like these too, I have a 380ED. It works 100%, even the battery holds up to an hour of charge. I had fun reinstalling Win95 on it, and for the fun of it, I installed an Ethernet PCMCIA card and put it on the home network. IE3 still displays the Google search page, but little more. :lol: But I made it show up on the network, so the hassle I had with the need to put files on a cd in order to transfer to it is not an issue anymore. I assume I will install Office 2000 on it, and use it for some typing. Since the battery still works, it's easy to carry around the house.

A later project will be to see if I can install Win98 on a CF card and make it boot from it through a PCMCIA card reader. Not sure if it will be possible, but I will have fun trying.

God luck with your 380. You should find a new LCD for it, it seems like there are some for sale on eBay, both brand new panels and used complete lids.
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.