Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

My New X60T

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
ATXChris

My New X60T

#1 Post by ATXChris » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 am

My second ThinkPad. First was T400, it was nice but a bit too big... this thing on the other hand...

It took one day of shipping to get here, since they are located in the same state. Let me tell you, for $200 shipped/taxed, I think this thing is a steal. It's what I'd consider mint condition and I usually am very, very picky. The ONLY thing "wrong" is that it doesn't have the AC adapter with the original IBM logo on it... :roll:

Also got a steal of a deal on a 256GB SSD locally, which only set me back $100. Totally worth it, this thing is a monster for what it is. No slowdown in Xubuntu at all. Loving this thing so far. Got a steal of a deal on a MSI bag off ebay for it, it's gonna be a nice laptop for school.

Installed Windows XP, didn't like the interface for a tablet (and some drivers just WOULD NOT WORK), and it also made my drive "D:/" so I everything was trying to install to drive "C:/"... rubbish. Wiped it, installed Xubuntu and with some tweaking (see my signature), I have never been so happy with a computer... and I've owned a LOT, including but not limited to:
2 MacBook Pros
MacBook Air
MacBook 13" Unibody
iMac
MSI gaming laptop
At least a half dozen netbooks
3 custom built gaming computers
Asus X401
An acer or two....

Yet this is the first laptop where I really enjoy everything about it... I thought I'd miss the trackpad, and I'm using a USB mouse now, but I'm sure I'll get used to TrackPoint at some point :roll: Now I just need to find 4GB of PC-5300 RAM... I also have never used an SXGA+ screen... I am in love :banana: :banana: :banana:
IBM ThinkPad X60T
(Core 2 Duo @ 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 256GB Toshiba SSD, 12.1" SXGA+ Screen, Xubuntu 12.10)
Guide to Tablet Rotation in Linux
Formerly ATXZerg

ZaZ

Re: My New X60T

#2 Post by ZaZ » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:43 am

Very nice. SXGA+, best resolution ever.
ProBook 470 G5

ATXChris

#3 Post by ATXChris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:08 am

First computer I've ever used that had it. I don't know if I could ever go back :oops:
IBM ThinkPad X60T
(Core 2 Duo @ 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 256GB Toshiba SSD, 12.1" SXGA+ Screen, Xubuntu 12.10)
Formerly ATXZerg

Cola

#4 Post by Cola » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 am

Wow, I've tried SXGA+ on 14'' models, so on 12'' it must be amazing. :o
Also, as far as I'm concerned, X60t and X61t are the only 12'' Thinkpads which can have the SXGA+ screen, so that's a really nice laptop you've got there. (y)

ATXChris

#5 Post by ATXChris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:46 am

Coming from never using one before, it truly is amazing. Especially considering this isn't exactly a "new" laptop. It's also a bit weird not having a "wide screen" display but I'm find it more useful with this resolution. that was my problem with the T400 I think. So far, every website I go to loads everything without missing edges on the side and lets me see A LOT more before I have to scroll down.

The pen interface has been amazing too. Pressure-sensitivity worked out of the box for the program I've been using called myPaint on Xubuntu.
IBM ThinkPad X60T
Formerly ATXZerg

Genghis7777

#6 Post by Genghis7777 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 pm

ATXChris wrote:My second ThinkPad. First was T400, it was nice but a bit too big... this thing on the other hand...

Installed Windows XP, didn't like the interface for a tablet (and some drivers just WOULD NOT WORK), and it also made my drive "D:/" so I everything was trying to install to drive "C:/"... rubbish. Wiped it, installed Xubuntu and with some tweaking (see my signature), I have never been so happy with a computer... and I've owned a LOT, including but not limited to:
2 MacBook Pros
MacBook Air
MacBook 13" Unibody
iMac
MSI gaming laptop
At least a half dozen netbooks
3 custom built gaming computers
Asus X401
An acer or two....

Yet this is the first laptop where I really enjoy everything about it... I thought I'd miss the trackpad, and I'm using a USB mouse now, but I'm sure I'll get used to TrackPoint at some point :roll: Now I just need to find 4GB of PC-5300 RAM... I also have never used an SXGA+ screen... I am in love :banana: :banana: :banana:
Welcome Chris. Nice buy. I upgraded my X60 Tablet to Win 8 from Win XP Tablet Edition. Handwriting Recognition is better. Compatibility with text input into modern browsers is less buggy too. On the whole a positive experience.

How would a Linux experience differ from a Windows one when using the X60T in tablet and stylus mode? Does it have HWR? How is that supported. I'm a big fan of Pen Computing.
ThinkPads owned so far: 701C, T40, 2 x T60, X60 Tablet, T410

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Cigarguy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:06 pm

darn you guys. Made me go and picked up a X60t today. $150, great condition, SXGA+, base but battery is meh. Add a SSD, 2x2GB ram and Win 7. Pretty sweet! Much faster than I expected. Love the screen.
Last edited by Cigarguy on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#8 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 pm

One of my favourite ThinkPads...the first generation panels used on SXGA+ version of X60T were simply stunning...

And yes, batteries for these (unless made by Panasonic) are mostly outright garbage...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

ATXChris

#9 Post by ATXChris » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 am

Genghis7777 wrote: Welcome Chris. Nice buy. I upgraded my X60 Tablet to Win 8 from Win XP Tablet Edition. Handwriting Recognition is better. Compatibility with text input into modern browsers is less buggy too. On the whole a positive experience.

How would a Linux experience differ from a Windows one when using the X60T in tablet and stylus mode? Does it have HWR? How is that supported. I'm a big fan of Pen Computing.
The Linux experience is quite good. Just need to setup screen rotation (see my guide in my signature). I'd say it's just as good... the only thing with HWR I've seen is CellWriter, which gives you a "keyboard"-esqe box grid to write each letter in, and then you press enter to input it... kind of clunky, but I think it could be gotten used too.
As for the experience in every other way, I personally feel Linux is a superior operating system. As time marches forward, we are seeing a lot of what Linux lacked before (industry-standard tools, i.e Photoshop, & gaming) getting ported over here. It's free, easy to reinstall, lighter, and more flexible than Windows could dream of being.

Sadly I am be returning this. The seller failed to inform us that there is a small, "almost" un-noticable grey pixel. With how it is, I normally wouldn't care, but when using this tablet for the reason I got it (art), it is quite annoying. He hopefully he doesn't charge me the restocking fee. We'll see. For now, it'll be back to my Chromebook with ChrUbuntu installed... I am considering a Galaxy Note tablet because I started at BestBuy yesterday and they allow you to keep a tablet with you to demonstrate the product and it could be really useful in general. I'm beginning to think it's far-fetched to try and get my art experience and coding experience on one machine, while still remaining light-weight. It's shame really, I enjoy the computer when I'm not on a page that isn't bright enough to show it, but even the dark blue in some places on this website barely hides it.

If anyone is local to me, you'd be more than welcome to come see it. I'd offer it, with the upgraded SSD I bought, for only what I paid, which would total out to $300. Otherwise, keep on eye on North New Jersey craigslist for a 256GB SSD for $100. I am interested in owning a X100E if that stupid Craigslist seller would respond... replace that limited Chromebook in a second. Especially for $100.
IBM ThinkPad X60T
Formerly ATXZerg

dukenukems

#10 Post by dukenukems » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Lovely tablet man:)

Medessec
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#11 Post by Medessec » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:06 am

I want one of those so bad right now... although I was always a bit frightened by such a good resolution on a screen so small. I would ask how well it's working for you, but since you've mentioned you're "in love", I guess my question's already been answered. :)
Trying my hardest to collect Thinkpads, but college and being broke kinda gets in the way. However...
701C, 760, 770, X24, T30, G41, A31p, T43p, T60/61 Frankie, Z61p, X60 SXGA+, W700ds
MEDESSEC

and yes. I am a bit of a lunatic.