Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Investigating T410s screen problems.

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Investigating T410s screen problems.

#1 Post by TPFanatic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

The T400s and T410s use a rare LCD, a 14.1" 2 channel 6 bit LCD with a proprietary connector and pinout. It is a similar design to the HD+ panels used in T420/s and T430/s with a control board below the active area. Apparently a multitouch panel option was also available.

T400s and T410s are notorious for the MIGR-76367 vertical band problem as this video shows in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM9_ZM_8qkQ

Image Image

It is impossible to see in my pictures, but these two screens are significantly different in person. The left screen (with MIGR-76367) is brighter, has better color accuracy, and better horizontal viewing angles. The right screen (without MIGR-76367) has worse contrast, a blue-green tint, and worse horizontal viewing angles.

For some reason I thought the vertical bands issue was isolated to the TMD-Toshiba LT141DE18B00, so I was disconcerted to open up the left T410s specimen with MIGR-76367 to find a Samsung icon on the LCD. I thought a bit that this could be a misapplied sticker, that it was applied by Lenovo, the company who put Panasonic FRUs on Sanyo batteries and NMB FRUs on Chicony keyboards. I also considered that Samsung historically makes dull screens. Turns out I shouldn't stereotype.

Actually digging them out | a ridiculously easy process that only requires removing two screws and the front bezel, after which the LCD just comes out with no screws attached | out reveals that the left screen with superior colors, contrast, and MIGR-76367 is a Samsung LTN141BT08-003 FRU 04W0433, and the right screen without MIGR-76367 but with crappy color and contrast is a Toshiba LT141DEQ8B00.

From this, I discover that it is the Samsung that is susceptible to MIGR-76367 and the Toshiba just sucks. What this really means is a larger sample size is needed to determine if MIGR-76367 only affects Samsungs, or if it affects both Samsungs and Toshibas, because I would like to replace the LCDs in both these laptops but not with time bombs. Like the T61 Nvidia bug, MIGR-76367 just seems to happen with time. It was an issue prevalent enough for Lenovo to release some writeups that have since disappeared from there website, which is a shame. Used Samsung LTN141BT08 002 and 003 variants are 60% the cost of the Toshibas on eBay and they are all ridiculously expensive.

A T420/s or T430/s HD+ cannot be put into the T410s because the T410s LCD cable is a different pinout. Swapping panels between T410s and the other 14.1" CS09 T-series blows up their fuses, in case you were wondering how viewtopic.php?f=45&t=125198 happened...

Identifying differences in Samsung and Toshiba LCDs:

Image Image

Samsung LCD

- Large sticker
- Black sticker over descending control board
- Green PCB
- Good colors, contrast, viewing angles.

Image Image

Toshiba LCD

- Small sticker
- Clear sticker over lower control board
- Blue PCB
- Crappy colors, contrast, viewing angles.