Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IBMception!

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
gfuller
Freshman Member

IBMception!

#1 Post by gfuller » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Lately (over the last week or so) I've been doing some research on the history of data processing and computing here at my University. The room my research is being done in has an old IBM mechanical clock (made before 1958.) I thought that made for an interesting photo opportunity with my IBM T42 displaying an image of a System/360 console that was in use at my University way back in the mid-1970s.

IBM made clocks, fire bells (another building on campus actually has some of the original IBM bells!), and even microphones up until they sold that division in 1958.

Cross-posted on the ThinkPad Subreddit
ThinkPads: T420, T42

MustardOrMayo

Re: IBMception!

#2 Post by MustardOrMayo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 am

Wow, beautiful!

Actually, this gives me an idea for a forum game*, where we basically do paradoxes (but not using screenshots), but then again, that probably sounds too generic of an idea.

*I'm pretty sure forum games aren't a thing here, but they're at least a thing over on one other forum I'm on
Wander wrote:I only have turkey left but I'll let you pick... Mustard Or Mayo? Mustard Or Mayo? Mustard Or Mayo?
X250 FHD+T | R52 15" x2 (1 for parts) | R51 15" | T43 14.1" | 760ED & EL (TFT) (both SG) (both unbootable/parts) | 760ED (USA) (semi-functioning) | 760EL (DSTN, USA)

gfuller
Freshman Member

Re: IBMception!

#3 Post by gfuller » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 pm

For those curious, here are some more pictures of the IBM clock. It has the pre-1956 IBM logo, so it is older than IBM. I venture to guess that it's 1940s vintage, partially because it doesn't use their "globe" logo.

The only marking on the clock that points to an identifying number is "Model A111." Not much information, closest I've found is that it *may* have been a "daily card recorder." Perhaps part of the reason for all of the terminals on top?

ThinkPads: T420, T42

Return to “Pictures of your ThinkPad & desk setup”