Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

UPDATED [PICS][GUIDE] Install MacOS 10.14 Mojave

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
paskudenz

Re: [PICS][GUIDE] Install MacOS 10.14 Mojave

#31 Post by paskudenz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:21 am

Hi, first of all, thank you for the guide.

I have problems to install Mojave 10.14.3 on my T420.

After the post install (the automated selection for MacBook Pro 8,1) the screen appears black when booting from Macintosh hd.

As the people before me wrote.

I figured out that it happened when I install the video patch in the post install app.

Without the video patch I could boot into Mojave.
So ich tried to install everything but not the video patch.
Followed the next steps in the guide.

Everything worked just the graphics where bad.
After that I installed the video patch in post install.

Same again - black screen.

Now I plugged an external display. It worked but the internal display was still black.
It worked because I installed the kext before like the guide says.

Then I thought the problem is maybe the 10.14.3 version.

So I downloaded the 10.14.2 - it should work but same problem..

I would be happy when you can help me.

Sorry for the bad English

paskudenz

#32 Post by paskudenz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm

I figure out something new about my problem.
My resolution is 1366x768.

In setting there ist 1400x900 (can’t remember exactly)
This is the reason why my internal display is black
Tried swichtresx but didn’t help.

Do you have an idea how I could solve it?

zxyz

#33 Post by zxyz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:47 pm

I tried it, it works, pretty well actually, however, few issues.
1)
>Do not select APFS format as this will prevent the installation from completing.
>The file system will automatically convert to APFS during the installation process if your target disk is a solid-state drive (SSD).

This is false for both statements. I tried to install it with APFS on a separate drive and it installs, boots and works fine. On the second one, I installed Mojave on my main SSD with HFS+ and it kept it in HFS+, no APFS upgrade is even possible via Disk Utility. This is quite important considering Mojave will ONLY serve system updates if you have an APFS drive.

2) 10.14.4 support?

The new update came and I tried updating from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4, but it panics during boot, even with the latest Clover.
Last edited by zxyz on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiduscrying

#34 Post by tiduscrying » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:30 pm

zxyz wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:47 pm
I tried it, it works, pretty well actually, however, few issues.
1)
>Do not select APFS format as this will prevent the installation from completing.
>The file system will automatically convert to APFS during the installation process if your target disk is a solid-state drive (SSD).

This is false for both statements. I tried to install it with APFS on a separate drive and it installs, boots and works fine. On the second one, I installed Mojave on my main SSD with HFS+ and it kept it in HFS+, no APFS upgrade is even possible via Disk Utility. This is quite important considering Mojave will ONLY serve system updates if you have an APFS drive.

2) 1.14.4 support?

The new update came and I tried updating from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4, but it panics during boot, even with the latest Clover.
Same issue here with 10.14.4. Tried to create an installer of 10.14.2 but I cannot seem to get it to boot at all. I either get ACPICPU timeout errors or "Stuck at IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3".

GrifterGuru
Sophomore Member

Re: UPDATED [PICS][GUIDE] Install MacOS 10.14 Mojave

#35 Post by GrifterGuru » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:00 am

Patcher tool has been updated, so here is the link for the 10.14.4 patcher.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmT7r7bnuXqkx93voJ ... atcher.dmg

Please, specify which machine you are trying to install on. It make life a LOT easier!
X31 2672-58G, M73 10AXS, M73 10AXS i7, L412 4403-72G i5,T420 4236-9N8 i7-2630QM, T430 2349-TDG, X201 3680-C85, X220 42902
Install Mojave on X220 & T420

dekani

#36 Post by dekani » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello,

I have similar issues with my X220 since few weeks.
Also locked at IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3 in console.
Only 1 successfull startup to installer screen after for more than 50 startup...
I'm using last mojave patcher, upgraded clover to version 4970 (works fine with High Sierra too) without any success.
During my last try, my computer hangs completely...
Finally, I have decided to remove battery to avoid this again and try it again.

It finally fixes my startup issue and I have fully installed Mojave. (5 successfull startup to installer without any issue)
I have plugged again my battery and can confirm it still successfully boot to Mojave.

Thank you for this useful guide.

GrifterGuru
Sophomore Member

#37 Post by GrifterGuru » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 am

It is interesting to hear that running the installer without the battery actually lets the install complete. That is an issue I have never come across, though it is certainly one I shall remember.
X31 2672-58G, M73 10AXS, M73 10AXS i7, L412 4403-72G i5,T420 4236-9N8 i7-2630QM, T430 2349-TDG, X201 3680-C85, X220 42902

zxyz

#38 Post by zxyz » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 am

GrifterGuru wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:00 am

Please, specify which machine you are trying to install on. It make life a LOT easier!
Machine is an X220, the patcher seems to work fine.
dekani wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:22 pm
Hello,

I have similar issues with my X220 since few weeks.
Also locked at IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3 in console.
Only 1 successfull startup to installer screen after for more than 50 startup...
I'm using last mojave patcher, upgraded clover to version 4970 (works fine with High Sierra too) without any success.
During my last try, my computer hangs completely...
Finally, I have decided to remove battery to avoid this again and try it again.

It finally fixes my startup issue and I have fully installed Mojave. (5 successfull startup to installer without any issue)
I have plugged again my battery and can confirm it still successfully boot to Mojave.

Thank you for this useful guide.
This got me somewhere farther, but not that far.
After booting back to the installed Mojave, and doing the post install steps (after
>Now that is done, lets carry on...)
Battery present or not, it no longer boots and panics at exactly the same time.

GrifterGuru
Sophomore Member

#39 Post by GrifterGuru » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Ok one quick, possibly daft, question....

Have you tried booting the system from the USB stick up to the Clover boot loader, then into Mojave? If it will boot using the USB stick EFI, then the problem is the HDD EFI. IF it does not, it is a problem with the install.

I have, on occasion, got around an EFI issue on the HDD by using the USB stick to boot from, then replacing the HDD EFI with the USB one. Not always a fix, but a way to know for sure if it is EFI or O/S related.

Other times, I have laid a copy of OSX over the top of the original, without losing data, to "Fix" a self created problem in the O/S.

IT may actually be, that using the _install_kext.command may be causing the issue with the latest Mojave version and that it would be better to use the Kext utility instead. I will have to run an install again myself to know for sure.

If you could let me know if booting from the USB stick helps, it would be appreciated.

This is also why I create a "FlyMac" drive. Basically, a 128GB USB stick with an install of OSX using the correct EFI for the machine in the EFI partiton. It can, and has on occasion, helped by allowing access to the HDD/EFI of an OSX install for resolving any issues.

zxyz

#40 Post by zxyz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:09 pm

GrifterGuru wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 pm
Ok one quick, possibly daft, question....

Have you tried booting the system from the USB stick up to the Clover boot loader, then into Mojave? If it will boot using the USB stick EFI, then the problem is the HDD EFI. IF it does not, it is a problem with the install.

I have, on occasion, got around an EFI issue on the HDD by using the USB stick to boot from, then replacing the HDD EFI with the USB one. Not always a fix, but a way to know for sure if it is EFI or O/S related.

Other times, I have laid a copy of OSX over the top of the original, without losing data, to "Fix" a self created problem in the O/S.

IT may actually be, that using the _install_kext.command may be causing the issue with the latest Mojave version and that it would be better to use the Kext utility instead. I will have to run an install again myself to know for sure.

If you could let me know if booting from the USB stick helps, it would be appreciated.

This is also why I create a "FlyMac" drive. Basically, a 128GB USB stick with an install of OSX using the correct EFI for the machine in the EFI partiton. It can, and has on occasion, helped by allowing access to the HDD/EFI of an OSX install for resolving any issues.
>Have you tried booting the system from the USB stick up to the Clover boot loader, then into Mojave?
Yes, I have done that, it is a problem with the install, not the EFI.

>IT may actually be, that using the _install_kext.command may be causing the issue with the latest Mojave version and that it would be better to use the Kext utility instead
I'll have to try that as well, sounds plausible.

GrifterGuru
Sophomore Member

#41 Post by GrifterGuru » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 pm

By way of a small update, I have recently found a methodology that allows the install of a fairly vanilla version of Mojave on the T420 & T430, however, the process involves a unique EFI folder & file system that is currently NOT available.

I will, in due course, re-test the installation process and if it is reliably repeatable without issues, I will release a "Vanilla" guide for that as the patched version whilst adequate, is not quite the end-goal. Should everything work out as expected, I may just release the unique EFI folder & file pack alongside the guide.

i will update all, as and when I finish the install-process testing phase.

Akash_S

#42 Post by Akash_S » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:09 am

GrifterGuru wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:00 am
Hi!

THANK YOU for a most excellent guide.

I managed to install it on an X220, Core i5 without any problems.
I do, however, have a few questions and would be very grateful for some answers.

1. PATCH UPDATER
Patch Updater starts every session and shows me more updates than what your screenshot in the guide shows.
Namely, Siri Patch and News Open CL patch.
Are these safe to install?
Should I keep Patch Updater in start up?

2. OS UPDATES
MacOS is constantly showing me updates for Catalina. I think that is off limits.
But,
It is also showing me updates for:
- macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2 is recommended for all users and improves the security of macOS.
- Safari 13.0.2
When I tried to install them, I screwed up my install and had to reinstall everything all over again.
Should I try to install these updates? Or stay away?

3. RESTORE
Is there a way by which I can easily restore my system?
Say, I try to install something that doesn't play well.. how do I go back to the last "clean install"

4. YOUR INSTALL GUIDE
Are all of the last 5 restarts mandatory? Or are some optional?

Thanks again!

suzunski

#43 Post by suzunski » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:45 am

Hello,
I followed the manual and successfully installed Mojave on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (i5, 8 Gb RAM, HD 3000, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 256 GB).
I followed the steps as described and the installation went smoothly and everything works, but I have one problem.
The most common problem is opening and minimizing Safari and other heavier programs.
For example, when I open Safari and try to minimize it as long as it causes the entire operating system to freeze and I have to shut down the laptop forcibly.
Please give me advice on what to do because I really like working with Mojave but I do not like this freeze and the constant restart.
I had the same problem with the installation and operation of the Hight Sierra.
I used different Clovers but for this installation I used these: https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T420-Clover/releases

vincedchart

#44 Post by vincedchart » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:53 am

Hi , your guidelines were very useful to me.

Still, today, I can't update to the last Mojave version. I'm stuck at 10.14.3.

I don't want catalina, because I have old apps.

Any update dmgs, won't do for me (update cant process because I have "an unsupported machine" as they say...

Please, how may I update my x220?