Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Whitelisting and Thinkpad Anniversary editions (PIC)

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
FryPpy

Whitelisting and Thinkpad Anniversary editions (PIC)

#1 Post by FryPpy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:48 am

The first photo is a teaser as a continuation to this thead.
Sorry for bad quality of photos ;(
As you can understand there is only one real anniversary edition on this photo - 10th anniversary with ID 1048.
TP25 is FrankenPad with TP25 palmrest and keyboard and other parts from T470 (you can see T470 on LCD bezel). Even power button have been made from T470's one.

And the rest of the thread will be about whitelist in T470 (TP25).
Yesterday i have made last mods. Added NFC, sawed of space for 2.5" hdd / SSD and added WWAN module. But found some problems... so i haven't placed plastic spacer ontop of power and sound buttons.
Now it runs gentoo and lsusb shows that there is Sierra EM7345 here (VID=1199 and PID=A001). After checking that WWAN card is here i decided to check NFC and begin installation of Windows....
And ThinkPad have showed me that WWAN card is not Whitelisted!!!!

FACTS:
I haven't done any modifications to the T470 motherboard. Firmware is N1QET90W and classic keyboard works well out of the box.
Yes, this WWAN card from x40 - x50 generations of ThinkPads - so it should be BlackListed for T470 (TP25). This is my mistake - i should use other WWAN module already obtained for this TP25.
This Linux distro was installed (built) before installation of WWAN card. But when it starting now there is no WhiteList checking at all...
And the last (and may be most interesting) - this linux kernel was built as uefi module - so it boots up from UEFI environment without any loader.

Is this a fault in ThinkPad whitelisting system?