Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Why do people keep going back to Thinkpad?

Got a question or suggestion about the forum? Ask or comment here, or
PM an admin or moderator.
FryPpy

Re: Why do people keep going back to Thinkpad?

#31 Post by FryPpy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm

My 0.2c to 701c ;)
Old ThinkPads have good BIOS with all things in place: PM bios for older systems + ACPI for newer and EC that do all this work. All this things works right till T60 era :( may be this is Lenovo's BAD thing may be this is due transition to dualcore processors ):
And what about 701c? Fn+F1! You can switch to BIOS screen from already working OS and return to work without rebooting. May be this feature is not big deal on ThinkPad. But I have seen this before only on Sun computers (Stop+A) and that was cool.
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 pm
madicetea wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 pm
Did we totally ignore the world of the Panasonic Toughbooks?
Well that's basically like bringing tanks into a truck battle. Yeah I mean it's going to win on durability, but it's not at all the same thing.
Ok. Let it be Let's Note from Panasonic ;) There are a big family of notebook series under this name. Different size and features. All is slimmer and lighter than Toughbook... but only some models can be bought outside the island :(

I wanted to write separate thread "Off-Topic Stuff" in january (it was my new year present) but still Work In Progress. Upgrading Panasonic is much more harder than ThinPad.
And may be write it this weekends....
Last edited by FryPpy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#32 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm

FryPpy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm
My 0.2c to 701c ;)
Old ThinkPads have good BIOS with all things in place: PM bios for older systems + ACPI for newer and EC that do all this work. All this things works right till T60 era :( may be this is Lenovo's BAD thing may be this is due transition to dualcore processors ):
And what about 701c? Fn+F1! You can switch to BIOS screen from already working OS and return to work without rebooting. May be this feature is not big deal on ThinkPad. But I have seen this before only on Sun computers (Stop+A) and that was cool.
I have a Sharp and a Tandy that did that BIOS thing. Really seemed neat at first until I realized that I believe with all 3 most settings will require a reboot to take into effect or immediately reboot anyway. I have a TI laptop(some later Tandys/Panasonics did this too) where you have to use a DOS program to change the BIOS.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

FryPpy

#33 Post by FryPpy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm
I have a Sharp and a Tandy that did that BIOS thing. Really seemed neat at first until I realized that I believe with all 3 most settings will require a reboot to take into effect or immediately reboot anyway. I have a TI laptop(some later Tandys/Panasonics did this too) where you have to use a DOS program to change the BIOS.
I understand that this feature is not very important on ThinkPad.
On SUN after Stop+A you drop to shell (like modern UEFI shell) and can do rescue actions or reboot injured OS.
AND old ThinkPads have PS utility to manage BIOS things from DOS;)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#34 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

FryPpy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:41 pm
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm
I understand that this feature is not very important on ThinkPad.
On SUN after Stop+A you drop to shell (like modern UEFI shell) and can do rescue actions or reboot injured OS.
AND old ThinkPads have PS utility to manage BIOS things from DOS;)
Oh yeah I remember Stop-A when I was fooling around with the Sun Sparcstation that I have sitting in my closet. Wierd machines..but a handy command.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#35 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am

TheForgottenKing wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 pm
I've already opened up a 701C keyboard. I can post pictures of the matrix.
I'm not sure I can figure out the matrix with just pictures. It's best to have the keyboard at hand and use a multimeter in continuity test mode to verify.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X601 Core 2 Duo T8100
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
On loan: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#36 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am
TheForgottenKing wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 pm
I've already opened up a 701C keyboard. I can post pictures of the matrix.
I'm not sure I can figure out the matrix with just pictures. It's best to have the keyboard at hand and use a multimeter in continuity test mode to verify.
Screw the multimeter, get a breakout board and hook every pin up to an Arduino. There is a program that will get the pinout simply by pushing each key down. You'll be done so much quicker.

TheForgottenKing

#37 Post by TheForgottenKing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am
axur-delmeria wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am

Screw the multimeter, get a breakout board and hook every pin up to an Arduino. There is a program that will get the pinout simply by pushing each key down. You'll be done so much quicker.
Can you link me to that?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#38 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:13 pm

TheForgottenKing wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:56 pm
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am

Can you link me to that?
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... ontroller/

This shows you it all. You will need some custom adapters for the 701C's specific ribbon cable but past that it should be very similar.

About 2/3 into the video he goes into the matrix finder.

TheForgottenKing

#39 Post by TheForgottenKing » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 am

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:13 pm
TheForgottenKing wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Can you link me to that?
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... ontroller/

This shows you it all. You will need some custom adapters for the 701C's specific ribbon cable but past that it should be very similar.

About 2/3 into the video he goes into the matrix finder.
Thank you

Dragunov
Freshman Member

#40 Post by Dragunov » Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 pm

Insomniac1971 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:55 pm
Admin you should make this sticky.

Why is that people who have had Thinkpad before, and then bought something else, keep going back to Thinkpad?

Is it an quality issue?
An stability issue?
Or the fact that Thinkpad are made to meet military standards where other brands don't brag about this?
W540
T440p
T430/s
T420/s
T400
T500
R series.

All easy to repair, upgrade and improve.
Great support
They just work.

Return to “Forum Notices, Questions and Suggestions”