Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Logging in from IPad

Got a question or suggestion about the forum? Ask or comment here, or
PM an admin or moderator.
wmgeorge64

Logging in from IPad

#1 Post by wmgeorge64 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:29 am

I can not log in from my IPad, prior to July 15. 2015 or so I could. Not now, I know my log in is correct because its the exact same one I type in when needed on my computer??
Retired guy from Iowa with a W500, T520 and a T43. ULS Laser engraver, TAZ 5 3D Printer, complete metal working shop and a background in CNC .

Khipata

Re: Logging in from IPad

#2 Post by Khipata » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:07 am

Sell the iPad and buy IBM X60 (or newer) Tablet, problem solved ;)
I am joking of course :)
5140,L40SX(3),PS/NOTE 425(2),PS/2 NOTE,700T,730T,700,700C(3),720C,701C(3),701CS(3),360P,360PE,750P,380,385,PC110,TRANSNOTE, Z50,240,240X,600,600E,600X(2),A31P,750C,755C,770,X40,X60,X61S,X61T,R50,R51E,R61I,
T20,T21,T30,T42(2),T43,T60,T61(4),T500(2),W520,HP95LX,100LX,200LX,300,PSION II,3,NEWTON130

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by rkawakami » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:47 pm

There shouldn't be any difference/problem logging into the forum using an iPad. I do it a lot of times with by iPad 1. If your password uses any upper case letters, double-check that the shift key is engaged when entering the letter(s). Although it shouldn't matter, if you are in Safari's Private Mode, try the normal mode. Worst case, restart the iPad and see if that clears up the problem.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Not necessarily related, but I've been unable to log in from my BlackBerry for months now. Forum software upgrade, maybe? It is running an outdated OS, but I have no problem logging into numerous other websites... :?:
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by rkawakami » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:48 pm

George,

Can you specify exactly what happens when you try to log in? I don't have a Crackberry to try myself but if somebody else can duplicate your setup we might see if it's a systemic problem. The forum's software is now slightly out-of-date since there was an update released a few weeks ago. I don't think that anything has been done recently to the software which would cause any login problems. The one anomaly that still exists is this large font when composing posts/PMs which started around early May.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

wmgeorge64

#6 Post by wmgeorge64 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:46 pm

rkawakami wrote:George,

Can you specify exactly what happens when you try to log in? I don't have a Crackberry to try myself but if somebody else can duplicate your setup we might see if it's a systemic problem. The forum's software is now slightly out-of-date since there was an update released a few weeks ago. I don't think that anything has been done recently to the software which would cause any login problems. The one anomaly that still exists is this large font when composing posts/PMs which started around early May.
I'm the one with the Ipad, up until a week or so ago no problems. Now I can not get logged in. I leave the show characters on so I can see what I type. Now no matter what I do it says incorrect log in. When I use up all my tries then it goes into you need to type the Capitia code or whatever... so even if you get it right you can never do both at once.
So I go back to my T520 next morning and I can log right in. Something has changed and I am on a LOT of forums with both the computer and the Ipad. Never a problem on the others.
Ask for a email to send my password, nothing ever.
Retired guy from Iowa with a W500, T520 and a T43. ULS Laser engraver, TAZ 5 3D Printer, complete metal working shop and a background in CNC .

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by rkawakami » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:06 pm

@wmgeorge64: My post about the Blackberry was directed to ajkula66 whose first name is George. Sorry if this confused you.

As to your iPad login problem, please confirm that you are using the same web address (URL) on both your PC and iPad. A hint: I use www.forum.thinkpads.com/search.php?search_id=newposts as a bookmark so that it takes me directly to the listing of new posts. Also confirm that you are using the same username on both systems; not your email address. If you have autocomplete set up, you may have typed the one on the iPad wrong. Please also confirm the items I posted earlier (third post in this thread). Sorry to be so obvious about all of this but I've not seen any problem with the forum software on logins that wasn't the result of PEBCAK.

The reason you are not getting emails from the forum is that you are using a hotmail.com address. The forum appears to be on a blacklist by all of the Microsoft domains (msn, hotmail, live, outlook, etc.). I emailed you on 7/12 after you registered telling you that information and that I manually activated your account here. In that email I also mentioned that you would not be getting any email from the forum until/unless you changed your email address in your profile. I did receive your "Thank you!" response.
Ray Kawakami

wmgeorge64

#8 Post by wmgeorge64 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:34 pm

rkawakami wrote:@wmgeorge64: My post about the Blackberry was directed to ajkula66 whose first name is George. Sorry if this confused you.

As to your iPad login problem, please confirm that you are using the same web address (URL) on both your PC and iPad. A hint: I use http://www.forum.thinkpads.com/search.p ... d=newposts as a bookmark so that it takes me directly to the listing of new posts. Also confirm that you are using the same username on both systems; not your email address. If you have autocomplete set up, you may have typed the one on the iPad wrong. Please also confirm the items I posted earlier (third post in this thread). Sorry to be so obvious about all of this but I've not seen any problem with the forum software on logins that wasn't the result of PEBCAK.

The reason you are not getting emails from the forum is that you are using a hotmail.com address. The forum appears to be on a blacklist by all of the Microsoft domains (msn, hotmail, live, outlook, etc.). I emailed you on 7/12 after you registered telling you that information and that I manually activated your account here. In that email I also mentioned that you would not be getting any email from the forum until/unless you changed your email address in your profile. I did receive your "Thank you!" response.
Well I went and retrieved my iPad, turned off the power let it set and re-booted. Went to the same Bookmark I have been using for a couple of weeks, did the Log In and used the exact same login that I use on the T520 and W500 computers.... Nada. Incorrect Password!.
Yes the Caps lock key is off, and yes I am watching the letters as I am typing appear in the box.
Seems weird that this problem only exists on this Forum? I am active on at least 6 others and all can be accessed from the iPad. I am sorry you think its pilot error when the problem only exists here. And it was fine last week??
I have not tried to log in with my BlackBerry, it would be interesting to try since someone else is having a problem.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#9 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Ray,

The BlackBerry just hangs at the sign-in screen, like it's attempting to retrieve a page but it never happens. I am able to browse the forum - albeit not signed in - left, right and center. There's a number of other websites/forums where I'm able to sign in without any problem.

It's running OS6 which is now unsupported by many websites which I presume to be a problem in the first place, but I have no means of upgrading it.

Not the biggest of deals really since I seldom use my phone for these purposes anyway, but this thread has just reminded me of it...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

GomJabbar

#10 Post by GomJabbar » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:20 pm

No problem logging in with my iPad mini. Tried 2 different browsers.

If you can, try a different browser. You might need to delete the cache of your current browser, or even re-install it.

Probably not your issue, but you might try using a different ISP if possible to rule out issues with your ISP.
DKB

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#11 Post by JaneL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:35 pm

This message is being sent from my iPad.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

wmgeorge64

#12 Post by wmgeorge64 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:03 am

I can't get in with my BlackBerry smartphone either. Not using my ISP wireless but Verizon server. This computer and my iPad are both on the same wireless from Century Link DSL.

I updated my OS last night on my iPad and deleted History... again. Same deal.

FYI I don't know of another browser besides Safari. You can use another one but it all goes through Safari. Once again I am on at least 6 other Forums using iPad without a problem? This is the only one?

Its not a deal breaker but now I am curious as to what is going on.

Jane what OS on your iPad and what browser? I am Google searching and finding others with the same problem. Are you logging in via Facebook? Everything was fine until last week??

Just tried Chrome, ugh and it does not work either. I even went to this computer logged out and back to iPad, clear history and cookies, but no dice. Same O.

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#13 Post by JaneL » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:48 am

Posted from my iPad using Safari on 8.4
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

wmgeorge64

#14 Post by wmgeorge64 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:11 pm

JaneL wrote:Posted from my iPad using Safari on 8.4
Thanks Jane, that's exactly what I am using. I wonder if some settings got changed on mine from a "Upgraded" app? Funny, its the only site I have a problem with but I will keep looked for a solution.

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by rkawakami » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:20 pm

@wmgeorge64: Sorry to be so pedantic, but can you specify exactly what you are doing to log in with your iPad? We're are going have to get down to the nitty-gritty as other people are not having problems who are apparently using the same browser and OS.

- Are you using "normal" or "Private Browsing Mode" in Safari?
- What are your cookie settings? Settings icon, Safari, Block Cookies setting. Note: this is what I see on my Touch using iOS 8.3; 8.4 may be different.
- While it's probably not relevant, is JavaScript enabled? Settings, Safari, Advanced
- What is the exact URL you are using to access the forum? When posting this address information, use the "pre" BBCode tag like this: <pre>URL GOES HERE</pre>" (Use square brackets [] around the "pre" tags; I had to use angle brackets here so you can see them.)
- I'm assuming that you are then clicking on the Login link at the top of the page, correct?
- What is the URL of the Login page? Tap in Safari's address window, long tap, Select All, then Copy. Paste the URL inside the <pre> tags in your post.
- When your sign-in attempt is rejected, are you getting the "You have specified an incorrect password. Please check your password and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the Board Administrator." message?
- Is your username retained in the text box for each retry or do you have to re-enter it each time?
- Is the "Remember me" option on the login page enabled?

iOS 8.4 is reported to have some major bugs upon initial release (it's the main reason why I haven't updated my Touch yet) but I don't see anything directly related to rejected logins at web sites. Do you know when you first updated your iPad to 8.4? I believe that you are correct when saying it won't matter which browser you use on the iPad (Safari, Chrome, Cheetah, Puffin, Photon, etc.) as Apple has insisted that all browsers must use the underlaying Safari engine. This leads me to believe that there's some setting on your iPad that's out-of-whack but I'd like to get confirmation on the URLs you are using and the forum's responses.

Some other things to try/consider:

- Have a friend come over and use their iPad/iPod running iOS 8.4 on your wireless system and see what happens.
- Take your iPad to a public WiFi spot and see if you can connect to the forum there.
- If possible, downgrade to iOS 8.3. Don't know if this is still available as I heard that Apple was going to pull access to 8.3 faster then they have before for old versions.
- Install the Tapatalk app and see if you can sign in that way.
Ray Kawakami

wmgeorge64

#16 Post by wmgeorge64 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:31 pm

rkawakami wrote:@wmgeorge64: Sorry to be so pedantic, but can you specify exactly what you are doing to log in with your iPad? We're are going have to get down to the nitty-gritty as other people are not having problems who are apparently using the same browser and OS.

- Are you using "normal" or "Private Browsing Mode" in Safari?
Normal
- What are your cookie settings? Settings icon, Safari, Block Cookies setting. Yes
Note: this is what I see on my Touch using iOS 8.3; 8.4 may be different.
- While it's probably not relevant, is JavaScript enabled? Settings, Safari, Advanced
Yes
- What is the exact URL you are using to access the forum?
Is there a wrong log in address?
When posting this address information, use the "pre" BBCode tag like this: <pre>URL GOES HERE</pre>" (Use square brackets [] around the "pre" tags; I had to use angle brackets here so you can see them.)
- I'm assuming that you are then clicking on the Login link at the top of the page, correct?
- What is the URL of the Login page? Tap in Safari's address window, long tap, Select All, then Copy. Paste the URL inside the <pre> tags in your post.
- When your sign-in attempt is rejected, are you getting the "You have specified an incorrect password. Please check your password and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the
Yes, exact same message
Board Administrator." message?
- Is your username retained in the text box for each retry or do you have to re-enter it each time?
Not Retained
- Is the "Remember me" option on the login page enabled?

No

iOS 8.4 is reported to have some major bugs upon initial release (it's the main reason why I haven't updated my Touch yet) but I don't see anything directly related to rejected logins at web sites. Do you know when you first updated your iPad to 8.4?

Yesterday it was updated to 8.4 and before that problems, the Log In issues started about a week ago

I believe that you are correct when saying it won't matter which browser you use on the iPad (Safari, Chrome, Cheetah, Puffin, Photon, etc.) as Apple has insisted that all browsers must use the underlaying Safari engine. This leads me to believe that there's some setting on your iPad that's out-of-whack but I'd like to get confirmation on the URLs you are using and the forum's responses.

Some other things to try/consider:

- Have a friend come over and use their iPad/iPod running iOS 8.4 on your wireless system and see what happens.
I am using the exact same ISP and wireless on my Laptop

I just took my wifes iPad which I don't think has been updated for a long time, same thing.

- Take your iPad to a public WiFi spot and see if you can connect to the forum there. I will try to do that

My BlackBerry smartphone running OS 10.xx I can log in all the websites I have interest in, except this one. That is using the Verizon Wireless network.

- If possible, downgrade to iOS 8.3. No way
Don't know if this is still available as I heard that Apple was going to pull access to 8.3 faster then they have before for old versions.
- Install the Tapatalk app and see if you can sign in that way.
I will looking into
Is it possible to have same user name and two different passwords? Remember I tried to set up a log in and failed because of the Hotmail problem. Then you intervened and set me up on this end? Is it possible that the Other logins could be the issues as maybe they finally got into the system?,
Yup I think that's the problem. I just checked and I have two login keys, neither one is checked. I also changed my email address to a gmail account. I found this under the Remember Me heading.

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#17 Post by rkawakami » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks for those answers. However, I need clarifications on these points:

- Cookies: "Yes" is really not the answer I was looking for. My Touch 8.3 has FOUR options: Always block, Allow from current website only, Allow from websites I visit, Always allow. Which of these is yours set to? And if your system has a different setting, please respond with it in full.

- What is the exact URL you are using to access the forum: Answering a question with a question is also not what I was expecting. There's MANY wrong addresses that will never lead you to the forum but there can be variations in the way you get here. As an example: forum.thinkpads.com OR http://www.thinkpads.com/forum If you can put the URL you are using inside the <pre> tags it will keep the forum software from shortening it upon display in your post.

- What is the URL of the Login page: Please include that as well. The forum software can include a session ID as part of the login URL; for privacy you can delete the last few characters in the "sid" string. I'd like to know if you are getting the session ID or not when using your iPad.

- You mentioned that you were having problems with logging in on the iPad something after July 15th (or so); re: your original post in this thread. You also say that you only updated iOS to 8.4 yesterday so that means you were using 8.3 (or earlier) when this login problem first appeared. That's another point we need to consider.

- Please verify which version of iOS that your wife's iPad is running. We need to "know", not "think".

- Interesting that your Blackberry is also having the same problems. This seems to point to your network/internet connection or the forum software, assuming nothing else discussed above is the real fault.

It should NOT be possible to have the SAME username on different accounts with different passwords. By the same token, you can't have two different passwords on ONE account. The phpBB software is supposed to prevent all of this from happening. It IS possible to have slightly different usernames: BillSmith and BillSmith@domain.com would be allowed with our system. However we tend to dissuade members from registering their email address as their username as this would expose their address to the public. Again, the phpBB software should NOT allow usage of the same email address on multiple accounts. Username account for BillSmith would have to be using a different email than BillSmith@domain.com. Once an email address is registered with the system, another user should NOT be allowed to specify that same address when registering. When you registered I sent you an email outlining the forum's problem with Microsoft-controlled domains. I also manually activated your account. Normally account activation is done by the user by responding to an activation email. Since you couldn't get one at your hotmail address, it's why I sent you that email.
I just checked and I have two login keys, neither one is checked. I also changed my email address to a gmail account. I found this under the Remember Me heading.
I believe that setting in your Profile page is supposed to control the automatic login option. I was marginally aware of this feature since I don't use it. I'm assuming that if you delete those login keys it will then rely on your password input for the next session instead of using the stored information.

Looking through the forum's maintenance logs, I don't see where you've changed your email. Your current profile still shows the hotmail one. If/when you do change it, you should receive an activation email so that you can verify the new email and re-activate your account.
Ray Kawakami

wmgeorge64

#18 Post by wmgeorge64 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Well deleting the Remember Me keys and changing my password got me in. Problem solved. When I saw both keys and on different dates, with different keys, ding. Same ISP, same wireless, same iOS and so on.
Yes I did change my email, I know the board has an issue with Hotmail.
Last edited by wmgeorge64 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigellus

#19 Post by Nigellus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Khipata wrote:Sell the iPad and buy IBM X60 (or newer) Tablet, problem solved ;)
I am joking of course :)
Lol. You win this thread (in the humor category).
T420 i5-2520M 2.50GHz 4 GB RAM 64-bit OS WIN7pro SP1

T60 1951-46U Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 1 GB RAM 60 GB XPpro

TP 600E 2645 PII 366MHZ 160MB RAM 37.2GB WIN98SE

Computers do exactly what you tell them at amazing speeds; this can be bad if what you told them wasn't what you had in mind.

wmgeorge64

#20 Post by wmgeorge64 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Got the email changed and activation email, used new password , got right in. Problem solved.
Plus now posting this edit from my BlackBerry Smartphone.
Only changes made were on this (the Board) end.

Return to “Forum Notices, Questions and Suggestions”