PM an admin or moderator.
Can anyone tell me what happened and what was the cause of the problem?
Bill left a bottle of scotch on top of the server and his parrot got loose. During the ensuing brief flight, the bottle got knocked on the server.
The only sensible thing to do was to quickly grab the bottle, finish it off and get a new server.
I have no clue what happened. I was worried that the site was down for good and that would bother me. I've come to enjoy the time I've spent here over the years. This is a great community of people and one that I am proud to be a member of. Should it disappear, well that wouldbe a sad day indeed.
Thinkpad T430s 8GB DDR3, 1600x900, 128GB + 250GB SSD's, etc.
E6520, Precision M4400, D630, Latitude E6520
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301
Wasn't there some kind of statement on the forum header for a couple of days before the outage? I don't remember just what it said, though.
- Admin Emeritus
- Posts: 19442
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
- Location: Mt. Cobb, PA
The crash happened on Monday 26 October, around 10:00 am, not too long after the daily backup finished.
A few people may miss their posts they made between roughly 8:00am and 10:00am that Monday.
These posts have found their way into space, never to return!
if you care, here's what happened:
1. the dedicated server ran out of memory on monday just after the monday morning backup..
2. late that afternoon hostmonster managed to have an admin manually reset the dedicated server which brought everything back EXCEPT 1 long time user and nearly 15,000 of his posts..
3. RBS noted that he was 99.9999% gone..
4. in an effort to restore the last known good database i (bill) ran a restore of ONLY the MySQL database, or so i thought, from WHM legacy restore checking ONLY to restore the database..
5. the restore process actually did a full restore, BUT (and here is that hidden little "gotcha!") apparently, all this time the backup process had NOT backed up the forum software.. so when it restored it all it deleted the forum software that was there..
6. SO, now, what has been suggested by hostmonster is to reload a new copy of phpBB 3.1.?? and thereafter apply the db which does in fact still exist (i hope) in several places now..
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest