Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[REQUEST] Dark(er) theme option for the forum

Got a question or suggestion about the forum? Ask or comment here, or
PM an admin or moderator.
Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

[REQUEST] Dark(er) theme option for the forum

#1 Post by Temetka » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 am

Hello,

This is something that's been on my mind for a # of years but I bring up now. I have sensitive eyes and bright things give me eyestrain and headache. I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a dark(er) theme option for the forum? This would be on a per-user basis and users could select which style they want from the user control panel. I'm not talking about making the forum black or anything. Just a tad easier on the 'ol eyeballs would be nice.

Something akin to this should work nicely I think.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/pbtech/

Thanks for looking at this and considering it.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: [REQUEST] Dark(er) theme option for the forum

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:13 am

Just looking at the options, and your interest in a darker environment, Black or proFormell might be closest.
Whether this is going to happen is a different story, it has been discussed before...

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Temetka » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:50 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Just looking at the options, and your interest in a darker environment, Black or proFormell might be closest.
Whether this is going to happen is a different story, it has been discussed before...
Thanks. I am aware it's been discussed before and the answer came back as a nope. That being said, I'm hoping with more users asking from time to time that more weight will be given to the request when you all meet at the secret pub to discuss such ponderings. :)
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

Omineca
Sophomore Member

Re: RE: Re: [REQUEST] Dark(er) theme option for the forum

#4 Post by Omineca » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 am

Temetka wrote: I'm hoping with more users asking from time to time that more weight will be given to the request when you all meet at the secret pub to discuss such ponderings. :)
Well, then, add my name to the list. I use the dark theme on Tapatalk, and it's one of the reasons I use that app so often to check out this forum.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Home: L440 | R500 | X120e Server
Work: ThinkPad Yoga 260 | Dell Latitude 5320

teamde78
Freshman Member

#5 Post by teamde78 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:25 am

I am usually a dark theme user on many forums that I visit (as well as software programs that have a "darker theme" (Mac OSX and Visual Studio 2017), however I greatly enjoy the current theme on this forum. I feel it is very easy on the eyes and it gets the job done nicely in my opinion. Nothing wrong with suggesting though so users have the preference. :thumbs-UP:
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by brchan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:35 am

As a workaround, you can install a "night mode" type of addon in chrome or firefox to automatically invert or change the color/contrast of pages. BYM is super lightweight and good for firefox, although it disables multi process. Deluminate for chrome is the BEST extension/addon regarding night mode, but its computations to know what to invert can be fairly cpu heavy on more complex pages.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53

teamde78
Freshman Member

#7 Post by teamde78 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am

brchan wrote:As a workaround, you can install a "night mode" type of addon in chrome or firefox to automatically invert or change the color/contrast of pages. BYM is super lightweight and good for firefox, although it disables multi process. Deluminate for chrome is the BEST extension/addon regarding night mode, but its computations to know what to invert can be fairly cpu heavy on more complex pages.
Forgot about that option, I will have to test out those addons on a myriad of sites I visit.
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410

TRS-80
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by TRS-80 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm

As others correctly point out, this isn't a problem specific to this forum or any other web page. I often work/browse at night and white background is just way too bright for me, also.

I use the plug-in "Dark Background and Light Text" on Firefox. I have tried a few others, and keep coming back to this one. It's simple, lightweight, the defaults work the vast majority of the time, but it also gives you some options in case they don't (and then it remembers them per site).

I also use a dark theme on XFCE for the Desktop Environment, and with a dark theme in Emacs, I'm all set all the way 'round. That was one of the things that annoyed me about Windows (at least 7, which was the last version I used)... It was very difficult to set up any kind of dark theme in the Desktop Environment. In Linux, it's a single menu selection. Beautiful! :)
All good things are Wild and Free.

What is free software and why is it so important for society?

(2022) Actively on the lookout for for 15" T60 FlexView / Hydis LED displays and parts, for my own usage. Kindly PM me your demands if you are willing to part with anything. :D

pkiff

#9 Post by pkiff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:19 am

I use an add-on called Stylus to display some websites with a dark theme when the sites themselves don't offer that option. Stylus overrides the CSS on a site by inserting its own custom user CSS:
https://add0n.com/stylus.html

Stylus allows you to install website "styles" from userstyles.org that have been created by other people. And someone developed a dark blue style that converts phpBB forums into a dark mode:
https://userstyles.org/styles/95077/php ... lue-simple

In order to get this to work with the forum, I had to add "forum.thinkpads.com" to the list of URLs that this style applies to. Once I did that, here is what the thinkpads.com Forum looks like:
http://thinkpads.kiff.ca/images/thinkpa ... -09-07.png (254KB)

I have started to tweak the style with a few of my own customizations, but it looks like it works pretty well right out of the box.

Phil.
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.

Return to “Forum Notices, Questions and Suggestions”