Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

K430 not quite so poor spec

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
Kilowatt

K430 not quite so poor spec

#1 Post by Kilowatt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:19 am

Reminds of that song 'Mother Father kindly disregard this letter'

Apologies to Lenovo,after looking with a bigger torch I have found all four SATA ports and the HDMI socket!

Having had a SFF A61e for a few years and having been very happy with it (and my collection of Thinkpads), I needed a more powerful tower, so I bought a Lenovo K430.

Looking on the internet at Lenovo Towers, there were various configurations, with VGA, HDMI and DVI sockets, with some complaints about the meagre 280w PSU, making it useless for fitting a second or higher spec graphics card, but later talk about a decent 500w upgrade being fitted.

I chose Intel Core i7-3770 3.40ghz, 8MB cache with 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, very nice so far

In the advertising they say:-

Upgrade for greater possibilities

Whether your bag is HD video editing or high performance gaming, the K430 is the ultimate upgradable PC.

The PC features a unique and exceptionally easy 'tool free' upgradable design.(agreed) You can expand your setup to accept two optical drives, two graphics cards and even two HDDs for unbelievable (agreed) flexibility, interactivity and storage.

You'll be able to make your computing life even more comfortable and powerful with this great feature.

After a quick look I can find only one SATA port so how do I fit more DVD drives or Hard drives, as far as I know you can't split SATA cables. Also on the motherboard plan in the handbook it shows only one SATA port, yet other similar models in the book show four. I am also limited to one monitor as only one VGA port is included, and yes, I have the 280wPSU.

I am amazed at Lenovo sending this PC out with these limited expansion options, saving a few quid but what a spec for a 'powerful PC'.

I was wrong, plenty of SATA Ports and VGA plus HDMI sockets, the only drawback is the cheapo 280w PSU, all working O.K. now with Windows 8.1, very good after taking time to learn how it works!

Rant over, I still love my thinkpads, just to warn anyone who is thinking about buying this model about the 280w PSU.

Happy days

Kilowatt

TP - X1 Carbon, X61, X200s, X220, X250, R61i, T430, Flex 10, Yoga 2-8", Yoga Book.
Other - Panasonic CF-19, HP EliteBook 2540p, HP EliteBook 8760w, HP600-G1.