Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IBM Model M2

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
Bibin

IBM Model M2

#1 Post by Bibin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 pm

I got an IBM Model M2 in pretty good shape recently. However, it would not work, showing just the caps lock and scroll lock LEDs lit solid. Replacing two filter capacitors that had certainly gone bad fixed it (verified by the awful smell when de-soldering). However, possibly from putting it back together, the asterisk key on the numberpad is far too sensitive. Even nudging or torquing the keyboard can fire it off. If I remove the keycap, it doesn't randomly fire on its own. With the keycap on, it is oversensitive and prone to random input.

If anyone has dealt with an M2 and has any tips I'd be happy to hear them.

thinkpadcollection

Re: IBM Model M2

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Is that one with noisy springs?; The fix for mis-installed keys was like this:

Pull the key, lean the keyboard up with front end upwards, carefully put keycap in and snap in. The idea is that spring lays flat and straight inside the keycap.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

Bibin

#3 Post by Bibin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:34 pm

thinkpadcollection wrote:Is that one with noisy springs?; The fix for mis-installed keys was like this:

Pull the key, lean the keyboard up with front end upwards, carefully put keycap in and snap in. The idea is that spring lays flat and straight inside the keycap.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection
I've got all the springs installed correctly, though. I re-did the whole process twice, even tried swapping other springs. I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the membrane in that area. For now, since I seldom use the asterisk on the numpad, I've disabled the switch with a small piece of tape on that contact area. The keyboard is then otherwise usable.

micrex22

#4 Post by micrex22 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:13 am

Clean the membrane with isopropyl alcohol (of course it will require taking that whole thing apart, again).
May as well clean the whole membrane while you're at it, actually.