Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Best HDMI Graphics card to stream video to TV from M58P-MJV2740 ?

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
E350

Best HDMI Graphics card to stream video to TV from M58P-MJV2740 ?

#1 Post by E350 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:51 pm

ThinkCentre M58P-MJV2740 Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB
Windows 10 64-bit OS

I want to stream mp4 video to the TV and stereo.

Any suggestions?

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Best HDMI Graphics card to stream video to TV from M58P-MJV2740 ?

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:19 am

Anything will do I guess? Even the lowest-end cards (Geforce GT 730 64-bit, Radeon R7 240) have HDMI output.

Alternatively, you can use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but since the M58p doesn't support audio over the DisplayPort, you'll have to use the analog audio jacks for that. Since you mentioned a stereo, analog may be the easiest option.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

E350

#3 Post by E350 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:56 am

Thank you again axur-delmeria! I just ordered this, and hopefully the 3.5mm audio jack will work when the adapter is working. A great suggestion! For a great price which I am looking forward to report how it works!

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Pl ... MI+adapter

I just installed Chromecast Ultra and I am not impressed.
I also just installed Amazon Fire TV and I am not impressed.
What do they do that the pc cannot do better when the pc is connected to the internet and to the tv and stereo?

Am I missing something?

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:36 am

E350 wrote:I just installed Chromecast Ultra and I am not impressed.
I also just installed Amazon Fire TV and I am not impressed.
What do they do that the pc cannot do better when the pc is connected to the internet and to the tv and stereo?

Am I missing something?
Flexibility and raw CPU performance, I guess?
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:15 am

I suggest to get a ROKU 2 XD or newer.
You also get a remote with it.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

E350

#6 Post by E350 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:19 am

Dang, in the M58p the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter did not direct any signal to the TV HDMI input. I looked through the BIOS and couldn't see any obvious setting to change. I also looked in display under the Windows 10 operating system and didn't see anything to adjust. I did that Project duplicate thing and it didn't do a thing.

On my wife's T61p with dock the DVI to HDMI adapter worked perfectly without any setting change or anything.

So axur-delmeria thank you for suggesting the cable adapters.

And thank you RBS, for suggesting the Roku.

But I've got to tell you, the computer connected by Ethernet to the internet has much less lag than the Chromecast Ultra or the Amazon Fire TV. And the Amazon.com video rental website is much easier to navigate than the Amazon Fire TV rental interface. And using a full size keyboard for searching youtube is much better than that Chromecast youtube interface.

So I returned the Chromecast Ultra and the Amazon Fire TV today.

I told the sales guy at Best Buy "I am thinking of returning this Chromecast thing" and when he asked "Why?" I said "I think my computer connected via Ethernet to router and via HDMI to the TV with a battery operated backlit small keyboard would be better to drive the TV." He said, "The Chromecast is essentially for using your phone as a TV remote." And when I pulled my nearly bullet proof, waterproof, Casio G'zone Boulder flip phone out of my shirt pocket he said, "Return the Chromecast."

But back to the M58p. I really want to use a desktop to drive the TV not a laptop. So any thoughts about getting the displayport on the M58p to work?

Thanks in advance brothers.

Update: I notice that the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter I am using is "passive" and that there are also DisplayPort to HDMI adapters which are "active." I wonder if the M58p needs an active adapter? I will try an active adapter. From an Amazon question re an "active" adapter:

"Question: What does it mean by 'Active?'

Answer: Active display ports actively convert the signal to a digital signal. Passive adapters simply do not, but rely on the device (video card) to do it before sending the signal out towards your monitor.
Getting an Active Adapter is the sure shot way to ensure it'll work if you're not sure if your device converts the signal before outputting it.
If your device does not convert the signal and you use a Passive Adapter, it simply will not display an image and you'll be left to assume the adapter or video card is flawed/DOA. see less

By Buster on December 30, 2014"

excal32
BANNED

#7 Post by excal32 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:18 am

I have put GTX 950 or GTX 1050 in a lot of machines this age to breathe new life into them. After adding these GPUs they can even handle some 1080p gaming.

Like RBS says, a ROKU is a very good choice. I use an android TV box myself (S912 based). Not as smooth as Roku or OpenELEC but works well if you know to expect a little roughness around the edges as it is Android. does come with an IR remote. Nice if you have an IR remote TV like me, it can learn up to 4 buttons + the tv's power button.

E350 - even a lower end GPU like a R7 360 would be able to do the job. But, if you can afford to spend around $100, the GTX 1050 would last you far longer than the R7.

P.S. Neither the R7 360 or 1050 need a PCIe power connector, they can be fully powered from the socket. This is someting to consider if you don't have or don't want to use molex/SATA to PCIe adapters.
1x R500 (P8600), R61e [T9300], X61 (T7300) - RIP T420 (replaced by HP Z420 workstation)

E350

#8 Post by E350 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 pm

excal32, RBS and axur-delmeria: Update. I was using my wife's T61p 2.4GHz 8Gb RAM Windows 10 64-bit with a passive DVI to HDMI adapter connected the T61p's dock to drive the Samsung 4K UN40KU6290F tv. *

Works fine when playing DVDs from the T61p's DVD player.

Does not work fine when the T61p is plugged into internet via Ethernet to stream a movie from Amazon: Video freezes and then jerks ahead repeatedly/rhythmically.

Works perfectly when the Samsung 4K UN40KU6290F tv is itself directly plugged into Ethernet to stream a movie from Amazon ** - i.e., totally bypassing the computer as a media streamer (i.e., bypassing its use as a media center).

But I hate looking for available movies using the TV's smart tv function. In comparison, the computer's movies/internet search abilities are so much more flexible and powerful because, primarily, the PC uses a keyboard.

Any thoughts. Would the desktop do better if it had the suggested video card?

Or does the smart tv interface much better with its Amazon video, etc. apps such that tv directly connected to internet will always be better than internet to computer to tv?

And to throw another variable into the mix. What about Kodi? Initially I thought I could install the Kodi app on the Windows 10 computer and stream to the tv, but now I wonder. Is that why people buy the Kodi hardware? Or install Kodi as an app on a Roku or Fire?

In summary, am I being disabused of my assumption that I would have a more powerful media center by streaming internet to PC to tv? My experience suggests that internet to tv without PC is higher quality. Surprising... But is my experience wrong? Can this unsatisfactory result be overcome? Would a high end GPU graphics card make the first scenario possible or desirable or preferable?

Thanks for you help.

* Won't work on battery only works with power plugged into the dock which I think effectively makes it "active."

** Suggestion: Don't steal John Wick's car, or hurt his dog...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:50 pm

How about you scanning/browsing for movies on your desktop/laptop and after you found one, type it in on the TV-remote?

I have also heard of a remote with built-in keyboard, such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Blu ... 12&sr=1-22
or this: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-5-Keyboards ... 638/g.html

E350

#10 Post by E350 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks RBS: And I think what you suggest is what I may be left with - search via computer / play from tv. The remote for the particular Samsung we have is an iPod type dial and I haven't found a way to open an alpha keyboard for search (there is a button for a 123) so at this point I am reduced to scrolling through the video thumbnails...