Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

UPDATE: Updating bios on thinkcentre 57 is a exercise in frustration.

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
thinkpadcollection

UPDATE: Updating bios on thinkcentre 57 is a exercise in frustration.

#1 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:51 am

UPDATE: Anyone with thinkcentre computers, storing CMOS settings is little different from other computers is most of settings is kept if saved and exit only kept most of settings. Except to do this properly and complete, has to save *custom* settings first then save and exit will keep complete settings permanently if power plug is lost especially the hard drive boot order.

D/L'ed various files for bios updates and all of them did not work on win 7 even 32bit. Then my brain was not in gear when I realized only thing is good needs XP to finish this BIOS update what worse, also did not realize I had to turn off AHCI! Heh. This is a C2D with C2Q capable box due to 280W PSU in a SFF chassis which is a remarkable thing. But why should be XP just to update BIOS? One more thing, I do not simply want to head out and purchase more CDR/DVD discs, they are considered obsolete unless I needed to and been doing fine without one for few years now. This is Q35 chipset, SATA with AHCI and supports win 7 best.

I was trying to do this to update the microcode via BIOS update in order E8600 get working without error. Succeeded. Was E6550 2.33Ghz in it and 80GB based on 160GB platform, both will not cut the mustard, so donated hard drive 500GB from my pile. Now 8GB, came to us without any ram and I sold mine to raise some money anyway and I have other computers to play with so don't have to miss the 8GB for awhile and put in my low profile video card instead of integrated video with incompatible DVI-D, most use DVI-A this does now. That new thinkcentre configuration almost emulates my outgoing optiplex 780. What all the fuss is this friend's son person brought it to me to fix this thing up.

What a circus. :(

PS: I noticed all the particular sources did not update any computer types to latest BIOS version which is a requirement for any reason.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

PS: I did not realize my optiplex 780 minitower had 255W PSU running almost full configuration, PCI-E video card (was HD3650 DDR2 512MB then HD5670 GDDR5 512MB that stat was checked via utility) without power connector, Pro/1000 PT x1 PCI-E, 2x 3.5" and C2D 3.33, 16GB running DDR3-1066. Fortunately I do have 305W from a GX620 MT if needed.

thinkpadcollection

FINAL UPDATE: Re: UPDATE: Updating bios on thinkcentre 57 is a exercise in frustration.

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri May 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Final update to this asinine lenovo creation called thinkcentre m57 is full on fan speed going like angry bug. For anyone who need full cmos reset on any thinkcentre computers to fix this:

1. unplug and open up the computer, move cmos jumper reset, remove battery button.
2. plug in and turn on. let it be do their thing with unhappy beeps for few times. Don't care how many time noises speaker makes.
3. *vital* thing is about this power button I can't stress that part don't skip what I say exactly. with this statement done: press and hold till computer cuts out and stays OFF. While holding this button, I'm not kidding this, *unplug* power cord then with a delay release power button. This is to do this in order to get motherboard into calibration mode.
4. move jumper back to original position and reset the cmos battery button in it's holder. Button computer up.
5. Plug in and stand back and watch the 3 power cycle magic do it's magic. On final cycle, computer will come up and complain about cmos settings all wrong. Just do your thing and reset any settings you wanted to be. On save, I can't stress this one, this what I fought with was I did not realize this was save custom setting. Do this first (this is what will save the certain items including custom boot order). Then select save and exit.

On this part about not using saving custom setting. Custom settings in cmos is temp in memory as long as power cord is plugged in even only used standard cmos setting saved. Doing this custom cmos setting save command is what takes care of both settings. This is a feature on this thinkcentre not a a bug. Quiet computer now is bliss. :)

Oh yeah, computer came with weak cmos battery too (2.6V). I had to order pack of japan-made batteries to get very "strong" voltage stay up. :) I used up 3 out of 5 pack battery on computers as well.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: UPDATE: Updating bios on thinkcentre 57 is a exercise in frustration.

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri May 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I have an M58 ThinkCentre with E7500 that has no problems whatsoever.
I did update it with a modded BIOS, without having to go through any of your crazy hoops...

LonnieWall

#4 Post by LonnieWall » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:37 pm

I needed to update the BIOS for the microcode update needed for the machine and OS to recognize the Core 2 Quad Q9550. After a few hours of searching online on possible ways to do this to no avail, I was able to update the BIOS on the ThinkCentre M57 by doing a little prep work on Windows 10, but it can also be done on any other version of Windows. No re-installation of Windows or creation of a bootable CD is necessary for this to work.

1. Create a bootable DOS USB flash drive with Rufus (https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html).
2. Download Plash16 from wimsbios.com (https://www.wimsbios.com/files/flashers ... 7.0.21.zip) and extract its contents
3. Copy Plash16.exe to the root of the USB drive.
4. Download the latest BIOS from

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... /downloads

Go to BIOS/UEFI > Flash BIOS update (Flash from operating system version - 32 bit OS support only)
You can ignore the 32 bit OS support only - that is only for running the flash utility provided on a 32 bit OS. Since we are running the flash utility in DOS, this isn't an issue.

5. Run the installer as administrator. This will extract its contents to C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\2RJY64USB by default.
6. Go to C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\2RJY64USB and copy the file $image2R.usf to the bootable USB flash drive. $image2R.usf is the updated BIOS. You can verify this by opening Phlash.ini in the same folder in a text editor. There should a line that says "ImageFile=$image2R.usf"
7. You should now be able to restart the M57 and boot to the USB flash drive by pressing <Enter> on startup and selecting F12 to choose the USB drive, if it has been made available as a bootable drive in the BIOS.
8. At the prompt, enter phlash16 $image2R.usf <Enter> on the command line.
9. Enjoy the show!!!

I've done this successfully on 2 ThinkCentre M57 6072s. I hope this helps!!

Behemot

#5 Post by Behemot » Wed May 25, 2022 10:15 am

resurrecting this thread; I had no troubles flashing from under Tiny7 install (no chance ever under 7 x86-64), however, that thing's ignoring me custom splash logo, any idea why?

after some messing with image size and stuff, the preparation tool managed to create LOGO.MOD file succesfully, yet the winplash program does not seem to be actually flashing that particular area of the EEPROM even forcing it from command line via /L:LOGO.MOD (tried even logo.mod despite that file being named in capitals)

flashed twice already and there is still that stupid lenovo logo :screwy: