Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Preferred Pro Keyboard vI vs II vs something else?

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
WarhawkCZ
Sophomore Member

Lenovo Preferred Pro Keyboard vI vs II vs something else?

#1 Post by WarhawkCZ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:59 am

Hi guys,
I hope this is the right place to ask. I am looking for a new keyboard for the office. A mechanical keyboard is out of discussion because of noise. I work in something between the cubicle and open space type of a workplace and my colleagues would not be happy with it. Now I have some rubbish from Logitech (k520) which is terrible and completely worn out after only two years.
I've just discovered positive reviews on Lenovo Preferred Pro keyboard. I really like the black-gray-blue combination and standard layout and option for the palmrest. It also seems that this keyboard exists with IBM branding. However, there is also a newer variant - Lenovo Preferred Pro II. I have not found many information about it except few reviews on amazon.

Does any of you have a comparison of both? I know that for the price it sells on ebay I can buy both and test but it is somehow against my belief. 8)

I also appreciate any other tip.

Regards, Jiri

bit_twiddler

Re: Lenovo Preferred Pro Keyboard vI vs II vs something else?

#2 Post by bit_twiddler » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 am

There are many different types of mechanical keyboards. They can be characterized as:

"clicky" - produce a click at or near actuation point
"quiet" - produce no audible click at actuation
"tactile" - pressure increases near actuation point
"non-tactile" - pressure is constant

to which I would add:

"clacky" - produces a loud "clack" when the key bottoms out

Here's something to view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDUyNY4CAGk

You can also install rubber bumpers to remove the "clack" at the end of the stroke.

Cherry makes various type of switches, it sounds like you want a tactile or non-tactile, non-clicky switch with
no "clack."
Daily Drivers: W520 i7-2760QM | W520 i7-2860QM | T420 FHD IPS i7-2640m | W701
Others: W510 | 701C (on its shrine)
Non-TP: Dell m7510
Currently Experimenting With: T420s

bit_twiddler

#3 Post by bit_twiddler » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 am

Here's another video to watch, which goes into more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbGZRouc8Q
Daily Drivers: W520 i7-2760QM | W520 i7-2860QM | T420 FHD IPS i7-2640m | W701
Others: W510 | 701C (on its shrine)
Non-TP: Dell m7510
Currently Experimenting With: T420s

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:54 pm

If you want a office mech. Keyboard that wont annoy your coworkers look at Matias QuietClick switches. Much quieter than brown.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:32 am

Noise aside, there is no need for a mechanical keyboard for simple office work. The good rubber domes (and the Preferred Pro is certainly one of them) suffice.

The Preferred Pro II seems to be a very new design (judging by the modern Lenovo logo). So it's not surprising there is not much experience with it. I have not seen one in person, but if the reviews on Amazon are good, it probably is OK.

Note that these keyboards are also not very quiet. They may not be as loud as the loud mechanicals, but the quieter mechanicals may be on par with them.

Also, pay attention that there are several variants of the "Preferred Pro". There is a PS/2 and a USB one, and there is also one with a built-in fingerprint reader, and what looks like much shallower keys. That one does not get good reviews at all!
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

thinkpadcollection

#6 Post by thinkpadcollection » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:07 pm

There are plenty of dome keyboards that are actually decent and quiet. I have a old Logitech K120 which is still good after several years.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

WarhawkCZ
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by WarhawkCZ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:21 am

I will probably give a shoot to Lenovo Preferred Pro version 1. I am somehow suspicious that the version 2 is a typical lenovo costdown f-up.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

ansible212
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by ansible212 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:13 pm

I have the Preferred Pro II and it's a very nice keyboard.

I have no experience of the previous version, however, and so cannot comment on whether it is better or worse.
X1C 5th Gen : WQHD : i7-7500U : 16GB : 1TB Samsung 970 Pro : ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock : ThinkVision P32u-10

X220 : Premium HD : i7-2640M : 8GB : 256GB Samsung 850 Pro : Mini Dock Series 3 with USB 3.0

X200s : WXGA : C2D SL9600 : 4GB : 256GB Samsung 830 : Ultrabase

WarhawkCZ
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by WarhawkCZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:57 pm

So, I've just received the keyboard and devoted the first few strokes to this thread. I ordered a Business Black Preferred Pro (bottom of the keyboard says P/N:41A5129) with the Slovak layout. This is actually super close to my native (Czech) layout. I wish I could get the English variant for this price but this is close enough. The difference between the business and non-business variant is probably only in the optional palmrest which is quite nice, rubberized (the Thinkpad lid type of style) and easy to remove. I give it thumbs up. The first impression is very good. After a few years with chicklet and low-profile keyboards, this is a refreshing experience.

The best part - I paid 7.95€ for the keyboard and 5.95€ for shipping.

WarhawkCZ
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by WarhawkCZ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 am

Just an update: I still like the keyboard 8)