M13 keyboard

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
Sand
Sophomore Member

M13 keyboard

#1 Post by Sand » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:02 pm

I found an M13 keyboard that is 11 years old for 285.00.

Could someone tell me if this is a good price for this? Is there anything to look for or ask about before I make the purchase? Is the age a problem?

The model number is 13H6705 and the Serial number is M314733.

Can I connect this to my thinkpad T422379dxu?

Because it's the only one I better decide quickly.

Thanks,
Sand

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#2 Post by Harryc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi Sand. That price sounds a little steep to me. The most expensive and nicest M13 I can find on EBay is @ $190 shipped.
If it looks brand new, offer the guy $200. Check that all keys work and spring back into position. Make sure there are no cracks or frayed wires. Try it hooked up and powered on. Make sure the trackpoint works and does not drift and that the mouse buttons work smoothly. As far as connecting it to a T4X machine, I know a dock would work, not sure about other options.

Sand
Sophomore Member

M13 keyboard

#3 Post by Sand » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi Harry,

That one on Ebay looked great, like new. It said bidding was over and it was sold. I don't look on Ebay because something got mixed up with my acc't with them years ago and I can't sign in anymore.

If you think thats a little high then maybe I will continue looking for a better price. It's just that I only want black and they seem to be hard to find.

But is the age okay for that keyboard?

Thanks,
Sand

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by Harryc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:17 pm

I think the original M13's stopped production in the late 90's , so 11 years old would be about right. They are mechanical keyboards, so they never really break permanently. You can replace individual key modules. So age is irrelevant. It's overall condition and function that counts.

Sand
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by Sand » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 pm

I was wondering how to attach the new M keyboard. If it's in the front of course, wouldn't you have to push the monitor so far away from you; the depth of the thinkpad keyboard, 10"? Would I just have to make the font size larger ? The setup I have is one where everything would be on the same flat level.

Sand