Keeping both internal sound and TV connection active

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
chermesh
Freshman Member

Keeping both internal sound and TV connection active

#1 Post by chermesh » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi,
I wonder if you can suggest a solution to the following problem:
Wnever I connect my M55e (WinXP Pro (SP3)) to a TV set, I loose system sound.
Is there a way to keep both sound outlets active?

Ran

leoblob

#2 Post by leoblob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm not completely understanding the situation. Are you saying that you try to plug the output from the TV audio into your computer, or ar you trying to plug the audio output from your computer into the TV?
TP360 • TP365x • i1452 • TP T42 • Intellistation Z Pro

chermesh
Freshman Member

Let me clarify

#3 Post by chermesh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:21 pm

leoblob,
I'm trying to establish a permanent connection between my Yamaha receiver (leading to a home cinema system) with my M55e Lenovo desktop.
Whenever I plugin the cable leading to the Yamaha, I get acceptable quality of sound. Still, I loose my system sound. Since the home cinema system if in one room and my pc in another, I can't supervize the broadcasting from the pc.
Therefore, I would my system sound to continue operating even when the external cable is connected to the soundcard.
I got two serious suggestions, to add a USB sound adapter and to add a sound card.
I wonder if these are the best options (and if so, would appreciate suggestions for specific brands), or if a better option exists.

I hope, this time I made myself clearer. If not, please let me know.

leoblob

#4 Post by leoblob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:16 pm

OK, I think I understand now.

You are probably losing your audio since many of these jacks have a built-in switch which is mechanically activated when a plug is inserted. Short of disassembling the front (or rear) panel of your computer and replacing the jack with a non-switching type, adding another sound device seems best. If I am correct about the jack, then this is a hardware problem which can only be solved with hardware.

I can't recommend models or brands of audio devices since I'm not sure. My intuition tells me that a USB audio device is less likely to conflict with your existing sound card than adding a second sound card, but that's largely speculation on my part.

By the way, my Intellistation has the same exact behavior, and if I remember correctly, the PC300s do, too.