Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Monitor spec questions

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
Sand
Sophomore Member

Monitor spec questions

#1 Post by Sand » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:44 am

I just ordered the M57 9979A1U Lenovo desktop but am having a problem choosing a compatible monitor for it. I originally wanted a 17" just for research, email, et., no gaming, movies or such. But they are few, and the ones available do not seem to be the latest technology as far as speed, clarity and so forth. So I'm opting for the 19". Things I don't understand to make a more informed decision are; is Pixel pitch better if the number smaller; same for Response time? Is the Contrast ratio better if larger? For Resolution, is the first number more relevant, or second?

I've noticed with the most expensive model, the Resolution is larger in first number, but smaller in last number (than the cheaper model) , and Response time larger(25), the opposite of what I thought they should be, causing the confusion.

The prices run from 359.00 to 202.00 so I don't know if going by price is better or not without knowing what the spec numbers mean. As far as Standard vs Wide Screen, I guess it would be an individual choice.

Much appreciation,
Sand

Bookworm

#2 Post by Bookworm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:31 pm

I've never heard of "contrast ratio" and I've always wondered about dot pitch. But at least I can help with resolution.

If the resolution is, for example, 1600X1200, that means the screen is 1600 "Pixels" wide, and 1200 pixels high. The entire picture is made of pixels, which are comparable to tiles in a mozaic. The more you have, the more detail there is in the picture.

If you get a flat monitor, make shure the resolution matches the resolution you plan to use on the computer.

Stargate199

#3 Post by Stargate199 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Okay here is what you need to know about monitors.

Resolution - already discussed. Make sure your graphics card can support the resolution. The higher the resolution, the more
Video RAM you need to drive that display.

Contrast Ratio- I swear manufacturers fudge these number, but it is essentially how deep of a black the monitor can display. The higher the ratio, the deeper the black. This gives you a better color range.

Response time- how fast each pixel can change color. Typical response time is between 4 - 10 ms. 25 is very long and if you will be displaying video or gaming, you will get the "ghost" effect.

VGA and DVI will be the two common connectors on the monitor. You may also fine HDMI and Component inputs as well.

The quality of the monitor depends on how cheap you want to go. I got the black friday special Westinghouse Digital 22" monitor. Overall it quite good IMO. The blacks are not as good as many others, but it has a nice picture overall and is easy to see. I would go into the stores and look at the monitors you are looking at and see how good the picture is.
I have finally rejoined the dark side.
ThinkPad T450s, Core i7 5600u, 12GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD.
Previous ThinkPads: T41, T21, 600E

Sand
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Sand » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 am

Thanks Stargate and Bookworm. I ended up getting the 19" Lenovo 4434HE1.It seems alright so far; only real problem is that the text doesn't look clear but raised the resolution and size of text to compensate best I can get it.

The larger size monitor isn't too large as I thought it might be after being used to the 15" on the Thinkpad.

About the graphics card; isn't it built in to the monitor to support whatever resolution you set it to? So if I set it to the native resolution shouldn't the graphics card be made to handle it?

Thanks,
Sand

Stargate199

#5 Post by Stargate199 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:27 am

I would try messing with ClearType and see if you can get the text any clearer. also, you will want to set your computers resolution to the native resolution of the monitor. The resolution of that monitor is 1440x900 so just about any graphics card should support it just fine.

The monitor should display any resolution you set the computer to that is lower than the native. It will look crappy because you have a few pixels on the monitor that will make up one pixel of the resolution. If you need to make the screen easier to read, change the dpi in windows to 120 (default is 96) This will make it a lot easier to read.
I have finally rejoined the dark side.
ThinkPad T450s, Core i7 5600u, 12GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD.
Previous ThinkPads: T41, T21, 600E