SpaceSaver 11 work with desktop

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
Sand
Sophomore Member

SpaceSaver 11 work with desktop

#1 Post by Sand » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:54 am

I have been looking for so long for a keyboard and finally just tried to order the SpaceSaver 11 to use with my desktop, the #9979A1U, but was told by the website that I could not use this keyboard with a regular desktop; it only worked with something called a 'Server'. I didn't understand the explanation.

I know that it has a PS/2 connection and my computer is USB but I thought that I could use some kind of adapter that would make the connection.

I've read so many posts about others that bought this keyboard and they seemed like they were using it with a regular computer .

Could anyone tell me if this right that I can't use this keyboard with a regular computer?

Thanks,
Sand

spaznrq
Freshman Member

#2 Post by spaznrq » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Do you mean the SpaceSaver II (2) keyboard? Like this one? http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/ibm-s ... 86762.html

If so, I have been looking for one of these as well. Would you mind sharing the website where you are thinking about buying it from?

I already have an IBM Model M (1987, model 1390131) and am using a converter and a $5 adapter to convert it from AT to PS/2 to USB. It is working successfully. If you know for sure that the SpaceSaver II has a PS/2 connection, I don't see why it wouldn't work on your desktop or my laptop. I'm not familiar with what "servers" use.

Google Shopping is reporting 3 websites, all of them selling near $100. But again, please share where you found the online store. Thanks!
X220 Windows 7 Pro, X60 - 1709-7HU Ubuntu 9.10 + Ultrabase X6, X61t - 7764-CTO Windows 7 32b Ultimate + Ultrabase X6, , 19" Sony - SDM-HS95/B, Logitech MX Revolution, Logitech Dinovo Cordless keyboard and mouse, IBM Model M (1390131)

Sand
Sophomore Member

Spacesaver11

#3 Post by Sand » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Spazrnq,

Yes, I went ahead and ordered it and had no problem connecting it to my computer. It does have the PS/2 connections and my computer had them too so it was very easy to just connect it and it started working immediately. I really like it so far and am glad that I got it.

The online site that I bought it from is called ServerSupply.com; they had the lowest price I could find for 117.00 with free shipping. Their delivery also was very fast. I received a shipping notice and a UPS Tracking number the very same day and received it two days later. If there had not been Veteran's day in between I wondered if I may have gotten it the next day. I can recommend both.

HTH,
Sand

spaznrq
Freshman Member

#4 Post by spaznrq » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks for the update, Sand. The store you mention now only has an English model for $185.00. How unfortunate. I appreciate your info anyways, and I hope you enjoy your new keyboard.
X220 Windows 7 Pro, X60 - 1709-7HU Ubuntu 9.10 + Ultrabase X6, X61t - 7764-CTO Windows 7 32b Ultimate + Ultrabase X6, , 19" Sony - SDM-HS95/B, Logitech MX Revolution, Logitech Dinovo Cordless keyboard and mouse, IBM Model M (1390131)

RobertJohnB

Space saver keyboard

#5 Post by RobertJohnB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:58 pm

While this does not help any of the enthusiasts posting earlier, if anyone wants a Spanish Space Saver keyboard, try ITXChange [ http://www.itxchange.com ]. They have about a dozen new ones in the UK for about $12.50 US plus shipping.

What I have always wondered about though, was why did IBM chop the numeric keypad off the right side? Why did they not remove the cursor keys in the next section (adjacent to the numeric keypad)? The cursor control keys were duplicated in the numeric keypad and so should not have been missed.

:banana:
Health Warning:
These posts may contain traces of nut ‹(•¿•)›
Frugal (nicer word than cheap)
Pack rat (hate to throw anything away)
ThinkPad 600x (Model 2646-8EU)