Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkCentre M58p, Vista preinstalled, how can i install xp?

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
LithiumKid1976

ThinkCentre M58p, Vista preinstalled, how can i install xp?

#1 Post by LithiumKid1976 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:49 am

Hi
has anyone had any experince with rebuilding this model that has vista pre-installed>? i want to put xp on it, but it bluescreens before the "F8" options. i have tried making changes in the bios section, but nothing here makes any diffrence?

im wondering if i would need to maybe download a driver for the sata disk, and maybe use the F6 option to add it?
Any suggestions welcomed.
damien`

invictus
Freshman Member

Re: ThinkCentre M58p, Vista preinstalled, how can i install xp?

#2 Post by invictus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:28 am

LithiumKid1976 wrote:i have tried making changes in the bios section, but nothing here makes any diffrence
What changes did you make in the BIOS?

I'm having the same issues and did some research on the internet and found here about disabling the AHCI.

After reading this I went into the BIOS and from Devices -- ATA Drives Setup I disabled the entry for SATA AHCI. This will turn off AHCI for the SATA connections and they'll revert to IDE compatibility.

Now, while still in the BIOS, you'll have to go to Startup and include the IDE CD & IDE HDD (initially they are excluded). Once I done this I was able to install XP onto the hard drive.

I tried to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software, but with AHCI & RAID disabled I wasn't able to install it. I went back into the BIOS to enable AHCI (and RAID) but I wasn't able to boot from the HDD.

It looks like you'll have to have the AHCI disabled to install and from from XP.

- Jon
Z60m 2529-EAU
Z61t 9440-28U

LithiumKid1976

#3 Post by LithiumKid1976 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:37 am

hi jon
Sorry about that, i should have replied earlier, got this sorted about a week after posting.
basically i made the following changes. (had to contact lenovo for help)

1. under Bios, enter into the “devices” Section
2. choose the “ATA Drives Setup”
3. under Here make sure the settings are set as follows
a. External Sata Port: = Enabled
b. Serial ATA: = Enabled
c. Native Mode Operation: = Enabled
d. SATA RAID Enabled: = Disabled
e. SATA AHCI Enabled: = Disabled
f. Hard Disk Pre-Delay: =Disabled

Once i set them to this, i was able to install xp on it.

hope this helps.
Damien

Stargate199

#4 Post by Stargate199 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Do these machine's have floppy drives? If so all you need to do is load the SATA driver onto that floppy using a program that you should be able to find on Intel's site, With that done, insert you XP cd and boot from it and then press F6 (might be some other F key) to load that driver, and the boot process will continue. Now the XP install should be able to see your drive and install to it.
I have finally rejoined the dark side.
ThinkPad T450s, Core i7 5600u, 12GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD.
Previous ThinkPads: T41, T21, 600E

LithiumKid1976

#5 Post by LithiumKid1976 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 pm

The machines i got, didnt have a floppy drive. i went down that route initally, but when that didnt work, i contacted the suppliers of Lenovo, who told me to make the changes i mentioned above. once i made these changes i was able to build the M58 with the xp image.

dolson60174

#6 Post by dolson60174 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 am

So I am having the same issue as mentioned before. I have tried the BIOS settings as mentioned as well. I can get it to work, but it seems as though the BIOS resets the boot order. I have also installed the AHCI drivers and use the defualt settings in BIOS, it goes to the Windows splash screen then reboots, no BSOD, no errors, just a continuous loop. Anyone see this? thanks!

Dan
-It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.
-Dave Marschack