Fire-breathing workstations

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
kc7gr
Freshman Member

Fire-breathing workstations

#1 Post by kc7gr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:22 am

Gotta love off-lease resellers...

I just got a grand deal on an Intellistation Z Pro. Twin 3.6gig Xeons, 4 gig RAM, 73 gig U320 SCSI, all for just under $375 with shipping.

There are more available if others want to try for the same deal. The seller is tech-traders on That Auction Place, item #300309367261. Asking price, BIN, was $403, I offered $335. Granted, the things are only on sale for another few hours, so his threshold for accepting offers may change.

The system will replace a custom-built twin-AMD Athlon MP box which I put together back in 2002. It still works well, but I've been looking for something a bit less power-hungry than the Athlons (that's one edge Intel has always had over AMD -- better power management!).

UPDATE: 9-Oct-09

The monster arrived a couple of days ago. What a work of art! Built like the proverbial tank, weighs just about as much, but I can't believe how QUIET this thing is! IBM certainly seems to know what they're doing with the fans.

A bit of an unexpected bonus: The auction ad says Nvidia Quadro FX1000, but the card which came with the machine is actually an FX1400 which, if I recall, either has a bit more memory or better speed under some conditions.

I would be surprised if any of Lenovo's current offerings could hold a candle to this beast for sheer quality of build.

Keep the peace(es).
---
Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies
T500 with Windows 7 Pro x64, Webcam, Atheros/IBM a/b/g Wireless card. Thinkstation E31, Intellistations M Pro and Z Pro.
"Quid Malmborg in Plano" (Firesign Theater)

gb_ibmguy
Freshman Member

Re: Fire-breathing workstations

#2 Post by gb_ibmguy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:03 pm

I agree with you 100%. These things are awesome! As you can see from my sig, I have 2 of these monsters. I LOVE 'em. Got mine about a year ago for $125.00 each plus shipping. Since then, have just kept adding stuff, Xeon's, memory, HD's and changing fans. I notice now that they are starting to appriciate in price on e-bay, guess people woke up, too bad, I could use another one (or two) :D :D Looking for a unit for my garage. (one of the last rooms in my house without an IBM in it)

Enjoy!!
4- A31P's- All IPS UXGA Flexviews
2- X41 Tablets
Intellistation Dual 3.2 Xeon, 380G U320,6 Gig
Intellistation Dual 2.8 Xeon, 340G U320, 4 GIG
Thinkcentre m51 3.2, 120 GIG, 4 Gig ram
THinkcentre S51, 3.0, 80 Gig, 512 Ram
4-xSeries 235 2.66 Dual Xeons
4-EXP300 Arrays

Return to “IBM or Lenovo Desktops/Workstations/ThinkStations only”