New "Desktop" - Vertical or Horizontal

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
jdhurst
Admin
Admin

New "Desktop" - Vertical or Horizontal

#1 Post by jdhurst » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:16 am

I am looking for a new desktop computer. My current desktop is a full size NetVista A30 Tower that goes in a cupboard in my desk. It stands upright, so the disk drives are running horizontally as does the power supply. There is more than one fan if I remember correctly and at least one runs vertically.

So my new computer is likely to be a ThinkCenter M Series small forum factor with 2 500Gb SATA drives and 8Gb of memory. So it will be full from day one and there will be no expansion that I know of. It will come with Vista Business 64-bit and a free upgrade to Windows 7 which is the whole point.

So this computer will stand on its side. Does it matter? Does it matter which way the disk drives are oriented? The CD Drive? The Fans?

I don't think so, but I am interested in your views on orientation either way.

Thank you, ... JDH

qviri
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: New "Desktop" - Vertical or Horizontal

#2 Post by qviri » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:12 pm

jdhurst wrote:So this computer will stand on its side. Does it matter? Does it matter which way the disk drives are oriented? The CD Drive? The Fans?

I don't think so, but I am interested in your views on orientation either way.
It doesn't really matter.

Hard drives are definitely okay in either horizontal or vertical orientation. A non-90 degree angle isn't really recommended, though I am not convinced it would have any real effect, and of course changing the orientation while they are running is not a great idea. The only gotcha you may run into is a situation where the manufacturer explicitly designs the hard drive mounting so that it works best in only one orientation (horizontal suspension, slide-in with no support from the top, or the like).

I haven't used an optical drive vertically, so I can't really comment. If the drive is a notebook type (with central clip-in spindle) I imagine there wouldn't be problems -- after all, it deals with worse off-90 degrees problems in notebook usage. I'm not sure how the desktop type trays deal with vertical.

A specific type of fans (sleeve bearing) has somewhat longer life when the fan is mounted vertically and thus blowing air horizontally due to internal mechanics. This is not a large difference and will be inconsequential in real life when using modern sleeve bearing fans.

Only other thing I can think of is location of air vents, and whether placing the computer horizontally or vertically will block intake or exhaust.

And, of course, everything that is not mechanical doesn't care about the orientation. As far as I can see, the only mechanical thing you haven't mentioned is a floppy drive, but I don't think that's a concern.
X220/IPS, T60p/IPS
Nothing endures but change

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by jdhurst » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Thank you for the reply.

With respect respect to the location, my NetVista A30 has been running in that location non-stop for about 6 years. There are hole in the back and I leave the front door open a crack to ensure ventilation. Ambient tempurature in the cupboard is under 80 degrees F in heating months and about 85 degrees F in cooling months.

With respect to model, I have had second thoughts. After I posted, I realized that 2 hard drives precludes a DVD drive and that is no good. I spec'd out a regular size tower (like I have) and I can have a DVD reader and DVD writer, 2 large hard drives and a Floppy disk drive. This is probably what I will do.

Thanks, ... JDH

qviri
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by qviri » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Just to clarify -- by vents, I meant vents in the case of the computer itself. If the main air intake is on the left side, and you stand the computer on its left side without somehow spacing it away from the surface, things might get a bit hot.

I looked at the Thinkcentre M SFF and it seems to have intake in the front, so that shouldn't be a problem either way.
X220/IPS, T60p/IPS

beeblebrox
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#5 Post by beeblebrox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:49 am

Have you seen the new ThinkCentre 70z?
All-in-one and has all features you need.
20" Core 2 Duo with Thinkpad wireless keyboard and mouse.
starting at $499

I think it is an awesome business desktop, better than the Acer I was evaluating.

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by jdhurst » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:04 am

I will look for that. At this moment, when I go to lenovo.com and then to products and desktops, it does not show up. It probably will soon and I will take a look. Thanks, ... JDH

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by jdhurst » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:44 pm

Can anyone supply a link for the 70z? I cannot find it. ... JDH

qviri
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by qviri » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 pm

X220/IPS, T60p/IPS

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by jdhurst » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:02 am

Thank you. I want the space (2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, modem (for faxing), 4 memory slots) that only a tower can do. I even looked at the small form factor (that I very much like), but it has limits.

The A70z also brings back memories of the IBM PS/2 25 computer. ... JDH