Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IBM Intellistation maximizing RAM

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
blackj

Re: IBM Intellistation maximizing RAM

#31 Post by blackj » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 am

Reviving this thread again... :oops:

Would I need 2 VRM's for 2 processors, or does the Z Pro only need one? Pardon my newbness...

Gewehr98

#32 Post by Gewehr98 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 am

Blackj, your IntelliStation 9228 already has one built-in VRM on the motherboard to support a single occupied socket.

On the top edge of the motherboard nearest the power supply is the edge connector mount for the second VRM.

You'll need to source and install one of those before you can add a second Xeon (dual core or quad core) to the system.

Theokretes
Freshman Member

#33 Post by Theokretes » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:01 am

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that non-ECC RAM could be used-- I am certain that FB-DIMMs have a different notch?
2x T60p, 1x T61, loads of 701Cs, 1x WorkPad Z50, 2x TransNotes other random thinkpads...

livinstyle

#34 Post by livinstyle » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

i have acquired an Intellistatino Z Pro 6223, and for the life of me i cannot get windows 7, 8, or 10 installed on this machine.

I was able to install WinXP x64 perfectly fine. I only have an 80GB IDE drive and an IDE DVD-ROM drive in the machine currently.

I've tried to install win7 with SATA raid and SCSI raid, no dice on each.

ran a hardware check, everything passed w/o issue.

Here are the specs:

BIOS ver 1.7
Dual XEON 3.0Ghz
3GB PC2-3200 RAM Non-ECC (512x6)

changed every possible setting in the BIOS, still no luck. i have the HDD on ATA channel 0 and the DVD drive on Channel 1. HDD is set to master for jumper settings, and the DVD drive set to slave. If i leave it on CS, some reason it only detects the HDD, so i had to manually set the jumper on each so the computer can recognize both drives.

the only thing in the BIOS that is still enabled is SATA raid and SCSI raid, but no drives are installed. i was hoping to get win7 installed and install the drivers for them so i can have both SATA and SCSI raid setup for more drives.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you