Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

PyTPFanControl - A fan controller for Linux

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
Arnavion

PyTPFanControl - A fan controller for Linux

#1 Post by Arnavion » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I'd like to announce a new GUI fan controller application for Thinkpads on Linux. PyTPFanControl is a Linux clone of troubadix's TPFanControl. It uses the sysfs interface exposed by the thinkpad-acpi kernel module to allow you to monitor and control the temperature and fan speeds of your Thinkpad.

Just like the other Linux fan controller mentioned in the thinkwiki, this one too requires thinkpad-acpi in your kernel. It is a Python program, and uses PyQt5 (compiled for Python3) for the UI.

Get it from https://github.com/Arnavion/PyTPFanControl

Features:
  • System tray icon + Minimizes to tray - The icon is colored and lists the sensor with the highest temperature.
  • Smart mode (rudimentary, see notes below) - Configure your own fan speeds according to temperature
  • Manual mode - For when you want to set your own fan speed.
Notes:
  • The sensor names and temperature settings (like in TPFanControl's INI file) are present at the top of tpfc.py for easy editing.
  • This is alpha software. I've tested it on my T61, so the sensor names are hard-coded for the T61.
  • The smart mode currently sets fan speeds based on the current temperature. This means the fan will turn on and off as the temperature fluctuates over a temperature threshold.
This is very much a work in progress. The code is open-source; feedback and pull requests are welcome.

Contact me at arnavion+tpfc <at> gmail for any questions.