Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Enable and customize the blue ThinkVantage button on W8

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
houndkr

Enable and customize the blue ThinkVantage button on W8

#1 Post by houndkr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 am

After upgrading my X201T to Windows 8, I noticed I couldn't use my ThinkVantage button no matter what.
I found out I could install SimpleTap to enable the button, but even though I made a good use of it back on Windows 7, I don't think I wanted it on W8, especially when its sole purpose was to make the button work.

I took out my other laptops, and after some comparing and testing, I found out that adding another entry other than HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\TPHOTKEY\8001 does the trick.

In addition to the "default" and "file" string you have in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\TPHOTKEY\8001, you need to add the same key plus a "Parameter" string(which is to be left blank) to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LENOVO\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\18
This key entry may not exist as default, so you may need to add the "18"entry to do this.

I made a preconfigured .reg file and files to make it easier to customize. If you feel a bit lazy or think my work is sleek enough to use, I suggest you just use it :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t45x8s68lw2f274

I didn't test it on Windows 7, but since this method has been discovered by examining the registry keys of Windows 7, I think it will work on the OS as well.
Not sure also, but you may need UltraNav Driver installed. Didn't test it without the driver, though.

houndkr

Re: Enable and customize the blue ThinkVantage button on W8

#2 Post by houndkr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 am

Hi. I other people say it doesn't work.
There must another hidden player in the game....

Jason404
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Jason404 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Have you made any progress getting it working?

I think I have discussed this with you on the Lenovo forums.

I would like the ThinkVantage button to open the Sound control panel on the Playback tab, as I need to open it very often to connect to my Plantronics BackBeat 903+ headset.

(It's an great headset with fantastic sound quality. The only bad thing about it is that it does not support multipoint, so I cannot connect to my smartphone and ThinkPad simultaneously)
T410, X220, X200s, X200, X40, X31, X30, 755c
STOLEN! sold still used in the family broken for sale!

Check out the ThinkPad subreddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad

kitor
Freshman Member

#4 Post by kitor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi!
I have T400 with W8 and I was digging through hotkeys driver.
From what I found now, the registry keys are doing... nothing. Every fn+fX combination is executing \Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\tpfnfX.exe (so if you'd like to run something using FN+F1, place here file "tpfnf1.exe" that will be executed).
Anyway, still found nothing about ThinkVantage button and Volume keys (funny thing is that vol up/down are working ok; but mute IS muting volume in hardware, not software [windows does not see change and I cannot unmute using key]). Maybe someone else can try to dig through this.

I'm using exactly this driver (8jvu34ww.exe)
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... D=DS014985

[edit]
Ok, this sounds like a bug with the newest driver v3.84. As advised on some older topic, I installed older, 3.81 version of driver, and everything's working now - both mute button, and editing ThinkVantage key in registry.

Jason404
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by Jason404 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 am

Kitor, I have been using v3.81 all along, as the newer versions do not work with the Communications Utility (Fn+F6) and do not give the Wireless radio on/off dialogue for WiFi and Bluetooth when Access Connections is not installed (which does not work with Windows 8 anyway), as the newer versions try to start the Lenovo Settings Metro app instead (which is insulting, seeing as there is no way for us to even get that).

To make it work, I install it in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode and only install the On-Screen-Display component (I disable the actual OSD in Advanced Graphics Options, as they are redundant in Windows 8, but the installer doesn't know that as I am using Win7 Compatibility Mode). I also install Auto-Scroll Utility (possibly from another version, I cannot remember) as I find that useful.

What have you got in the registry to get the ThinkVantage button working? Do you think it requires more than just the OSD component of the Hotkey drivers?
T410, X220, X200s, X200, X40, X31, X30, 755c
STOLEN! sold still used in the family broken for sale!

Check out the ThinkPad subreddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad

kitor
Freshman Member

#6 Post by kitor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:50 pm

HKLM\Software\IBM\TPHOTKEY\8001
File: <path>

HKLM\Software\IBM\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\18
Parameters: (empty string)

HKLM\Software\Lenovo\TPHOTKEY\Class\01\18
Parameters: (empty string)

I have those three - not sure which of them is doing the trick - you must try them all.

I have OSD installed, but disabled - as yours + driver, and AFAIR nothing more.

houndkr

#7 Post by houndkr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi guys, it's been a long time. Sorry for the lack of response for your replies.
I've digging into this a bit more, and unfortunately I don't think I can get it working...
There is a workaround though. If you install SimpleTap the blue buton works as SimpleTap button. After that, the classic registry tweak seems to work normally.
I think this program installs some kind of monitoring service to the computer, but I can't figure out for sure...:(
Also, Lenovo solution center seems to work with the blue button as well. I didn't check out if registry tweak works on this case though...

kitor
Freshman Member

#8 Post by kitor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:04 am

I just checked on clean install of Windows 8, I have driver ver 3.81 and only this key
kitor wrote:HKLM\Software\IBM\TPHOTKEY\8001
OSD is installed, but disabled. Everything's working Ok.

TPpakistan

#9 Post by TPpakistan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:34 am

in Windows 10, these procedures apply (thanks to various posters in different places on the net)
First steps (modifying registry to accept any .exe or .bat file)
1. Open regedit as admin

2. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lenovo\ShortcutKey\AppLaunch (if the directory doesn't exist install Lenovo drivers)

3. In AppLaunch directory create a new Key called 'Ex_17' (without quotes)

3-1. In Ex_17 directory create new DWORD value called 'AppType' (without quotes)

3-2. Right click on the newly created AppType value and select Modify option

3-3. In value data field type '10001' (without quotes). In base, select hexadecimal.

4. In Ex_17 directory create a new Key called 'Desktop' (without quotes)

5. In Desktop directory create a new String value named File.

6. Right click on the newly created File value and select Modify option

7. In value data field provide path to the executable/batch script/whatever you want to launch

7-1. In Desktop directory create a new string value named Parameters. (leave data field blank)

8. Save changes

9. Voila your thinkvantage button now launches whatever app you want on Windows 10

Second: if you want to open Lenovo Vantage, do this:
1. Make a new notepad document in a location of your choice (root, users/ username folder, documents folder... you'll need to provide the exact path in last step)

2. Copy-paste following in the newly created txt file

@echo off
start/min explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\E046963F.LenovoCompanion_k1h2ywk1493x8!App

3. change txt file name and extension. Could be any name (e.g. LenovoVantage) but extension must be .bat

2. In above steps, enter this in step 7: [Drive]:\[Folder(s)]\[Filename.bat] (e.g. "C:\Users\[username]\LenovoVantage.bat" without inverted commas, replacing [username] with your username)

Lastly if/ in case LenovoVantage windows app name is different, do this to confirm:

1. Run/ Win+R > "shell:appsFolder" (without inverted commas). An explorer window titled "applications" will open

2. Locate Lenovo Vantage. Right click > create shortcut > click yes to dialogue "windows can't create a shortcut here..." to send shortcut to your desktop

3. On desktop Lenovo Vantage shortcut, right click > properties > shortcut tab, look under target/ target type to confirm above name (E046963F.LenovoCompanion_k1h2ywk1493x8!App).

Note "target" might be greyed out or full name (e.g. last letters of "!app") not visible. This is OK as you're only confirming. If the name is different, the difference will be before the "!App" ending. If still no success, google "running windows store apps from batch script" to find a slightly more elaborate procedure. Note: in my case, the name I got from googling above was different (longer with version numbers, etc.) than in shortcut; it didn't work: so use google to get exact syntax but modify app name as appears in shortcut (or as much of it as you can see). Best luck