Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows Registry key for UltraNav settings?

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
Jason404
Sophomore Member

Windows Registry key for UltraNav settings?

#1 Post by Jason404 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 am

I am planning to reinstall Windows on my ThinkPad in a week or so, so that I can do an unattended installation using an answer file that will put the C:\User directory on the D:\ HDD, while Windows is installed on the mSATA SSD.

I have got my UltraNav trackpoint and touchpad settings tuned just how I want them, so I want to back them up. I don't think it will be difficult to find the relevant registry key (or possibly %APPDATA% file?), but I thought I might as well ask if anybody else already knows.

I'm also using 2-finger-scroll for Windows 8 gestures on the touchpad, so if anybody knows the key for the settings for that, that would be great.
T410, X220, X200s, X200, X40, X31, X30, 755c
STOLEN! sold still used in the family broken for sale!

Check out the ThinkPad subreddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad

kitor
Freshman Member

Re: Windows Registry key for UltraNav settings?

#2 Post by kitor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:36 am

HKCU\Software\Synaptics with subkeys.

About two finger scroll - I don't know. I'm using "clean" driver from Synaptics that has much more features than UltraNav one.

Jason404
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Jason404 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks. I had found them, but I forgot to say here to help others.

I am not using 2-fingerscroll on my new OS installation and I'm finding that it works okay without it.

Where did you get that Synaptics driver from? I would like to give it a try.

kitor
Freshman Member

#4 Post by kitor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 am

I have some older "beta" driver floating around the net - newest was not detecting ultranav.
It's called "Synaptics_v16_2_21" and I found it here: http://www.kbench.com/software/?flag=1&no=49098
Remember to remove Lenovo one first.

Jason404
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by Jason404 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 am

Thanks kitor. I have tried that driver but I cannot see any features that it has that the standard ThinkPad UntraNav driver from System Update does not have, except for 'Touchpad Activation Gesture'. Everything else and more is in the standard driver.

Also, trackpoint scrolling no longer works with it. I use the trackpoint much more than the touchpad, which I only use for scrolling (chiral and two finger), middle button click (with three fingers) and for Windows 8 gestures.

I don't know why you say this driver had much more features when it actually seems to have less and cripples the trackpoint.

mnvfred

#6 Post by mnvfred » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:57 am

Both the TrackPoint and the TouchPad (UltraNav) work with the standard ps2 mouse driver of Linux kernels.
For advanced configuration of the touchpad, see the Synaptics TouchPad driver for X page.
Select ThinkPads (at least some of R61) have ALPS dual pointing device (instead of Synaptics). This leads to some problems since ALPS refuses to provide specs how exactly TrackPoint is separated from TouchPad. Currently the choice is to configure TrackPoint to scroll properly with middle button pressed using generic "mouse" driver in X.Org OR apply tiny patch posted to bugzilla and configure TouchPad as Synaptics (but this breaks TrackPoint scrolling).
Passing by. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kitor
Freshman Member

#7 Post by kitor » Mon May 13, 2013 3:21 am

Jason404 wrote:Also, trackpoint scrolling no longer works with it. I use the trackpoint much more than the touchpad, which I only use for scrolling (chiral and two finger), middle button click (with three fingers) and for Windows 8 gestures.

I don't know why you say this driver had much more features when it actually seems to have less and cripples the trackpoint.
Maybe because I'm using this as exact opposite - middle mouse button is middle button, and I'm scrolling using two fingers on touchpad. I think there was more, but as Windows 8 forced me again to download 'updated' Lenovo driver, I can't tell it now (downloading synaptic one over EDGE network will take two hours :roll: )