Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad Synchronization Utility?

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
FryPpy

ThinkPad Synchronization Utility?

#1 Post by FryPpy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:06 pm

From the T30-era thinkpads was grown in pairs - T for hard work in office and X for work on the move (business trip, work in field, presentation). These days i think normal desktop computer (not T-series thinkpad) was the main office equipment. Synchronizing couple of files - text documents, or programs, or something else is not a big deal.
But now... Source code repositories and multimedia data can have many files and occupy gigabytes of storage space. Cloud storage is the key answer for this question, but cloud computing (ex office 360 - for online document creation) is not universal solution. And synchronization with cloud server (to work with date locally on thinkpad) with the WWAN can be very painfull.
From T40-era these thinkpads have almost identical hardware. And it is possible to make virtual machines roaming between main T(W)-series thinkpad and jorney X-series seamlesly.

So the question - have you seen (worked with) any synchronization utility that can be used in this usecase:
- synchronizing tonn (10Gb+) of files
- synchronization over fast 1Gbps network - but it is needed to use fast algorithm to transfer only changed pices
- 2-way synchronisation
- synchronization automatically begins when X-series thinkpad have landed to the dock and network connection established with tha main T(W) series brother.
????

pointyhat
Freshman Member

Re: ThinkPad Synchronization Utility?

#2 Post by pointyhat » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:28 am

I wouldn't bother TBH. I have one machine in flight at any time - it's much easier than synchronising stuff. It has a dock so the moment it gets dropped on my desk, it is my desktop as well.

fefrie

Re: ThinkPad Synchronization Utility?

#3 Post by fefrie » Wed May 20, 2015 3:21 pm

pointyhat wrote:I wouldn't bother TBH. I have one machine in flight at any time - it's much easier than synchronising stuff. It has a dock so the moment it gets dropped on my desk, it is my desktop as well.
I agree.

And as a side not. If the OP really needs to sync 10gb of files. Why not just use a USB flash drive, or instead create a "my documents' folder and put it on a SD card and just move the card back and forth?

10gb really isn't much to transfer these days.

Does "My Briefcase" still work these days?
IBM Thinkpad T23 1.13 2647-9LU 640MB Ram 40GB hard drive SOLD!
T42 SXGA 1.7 64mb xp