Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Can I determine temperature(s) in my T60?

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
Muse

Can I determine temperature(s) in my T60?

#1 Post by Muse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:31 am

I've been having persistent delays of typically 1-3 minutes with one of my T60's. It runs Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and has an Intel 330 180GB SSD, which has 2 partitions. Event log indicates that I'm getting errors on iaStor, the read exceeding timeout. Yesterday this happened a few times. I typically get this daily, it's always frustrating. The machine will just not respond at all. What I usually do is press Control+Alt+Delete and wait for the blue screen to show up and then I know the system is again functional, I hit Cancel and continue with my work.

It's been suggested that I might have an overheating machine. Of course, it could be a bad SSD (mine is nearly 3 years old, but was only installed 1.5 years ago... the warranty is for 3 years), but before trying to pursue warranty replacement I figure I should try the easy stuff. I have been told by one guy who needed warranty relief for his Intel SSD that he was given the runaround and that in any case they were only willing to prorate his relief by the factor of what time was left on his warranty. I haven't pursued replacement yet therefore.

It was also suggested that before opening up the machine and checking the fan for dust or whatever that I check a software temperature application. Is there something like that I can use to assess and determine if the internal temperatures are excessive?

I made a thread on this problem I've been having at Anandtech Forums in June where I got these ideas: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread. ... to=newpost. Thread title is 'SSD error, how to proceed?'
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Can I determine temperature(s) in my T60?

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:15 am

You can install ThinkPad Fan Control and monitor the temps. Version 0.62 will work fine on your machine.

With that being said, I would tend to believe that the SF controller in your SSD has seen better days.

Install TPFC and report back the temps, then we'll take it from there.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:48 pm

I installed TPFC 0.62, rebooted and took a couple of photos of the utility's screen. I wanted to crop the shots and get that posted at a hosting site. This particular machine didn't have photo editing software. I opened it in Paint but didn't see a way to crop it the way I wanted (the image was larger than my 23" display), so I tried installing the software that came with my old Samsung V3 digicam around 10 years ago. Simple software, but very easy and intuitive to use and lets you see a collection of photos (for me, JPGs), and edit any of them at will using a link in the title bar to a photo editing software, which I also installed. Problem is, the installs seem to have screwed up the machine and it wouldn't boot. I attempted restores, which seemed to fail, but the machine finally booted anyway. After restore, TPFC wasn't installed, so I installed it again, in the same location. Then the machine wouldn't boot! Finally it did boot after Windows tried to repair itself and TPFC is running. The photo apps weren't installed, just a few vestiges. Well, I have a copy of Photoshop LE, which I've never installed, I'll try that, fingers crossed. This machine has problems. Last time I did Windows Update things didn't work out. I haven't tried since, that was around a month ago.

Well, I'll just post here TPFC's readings that I see right now. What do these imply in regards to the machine running too hot or whatever:
--------------------------

TPFC.62

Temps

1 cpu 75 C
2 aps 37 C
3 crd 36 C
9 bus 43 C
10 pci 50 C
11 pwr 56 C

all act (selected radio button is "act")
- -
Fan Control

State
Fan 3

Switch
73 C

Speed
3539 RPM

Mode (radio button)

BIOS
Smart (selected)
Manual

(0-7) 7
----------------

I have been using TPFC on some of my Thinkpads over several years. I don't know whether to run in BIOS or Smart Mode, the default being Smart Mode, which is what it's in right now.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Your CPU is quite hot. The rest seems fairly normal. Some cleaning and re-pasting of the heatsink might be in order.

One should run TPFC in the Smart mode.

Cheers,

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by rkawakami » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:57 pm

In addition to looking at your SSD and temperatures, I'd also run a memory diagnostic just in case. You can download the latest version of memtest86+ at: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

Muse

#6 Post by Muse » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:51 pm

rkawakami wrote:In addition to looking at your SSD and temperatures, I'd also run a memory diagnostic just in case. You can download the latest version of memtest86+ at: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
I ran memtest86+ not long ago on it, should probably run it again. I found that one of my sticks of Crucial memory was bad and got a warranty replacement not 4 months ago.
ajkula66 wrote:Your CPU is quite hot. The rest seems fairly normal. Some cleaning and re-pasting of the heatsink might be in order.
What kind of temp should I expect? It's running the T5500, not a very powerful CPU. Here are the system specs:

Lenovo T60
1953CTO ThinkPad T Series T60
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
14.1 SXGA+ TFT (Displaying to 23" and 19" LCDs by virtue of model 2504 mini dock)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
3 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory
Intel 330 180GB SSD

So, clean off the CPU and spread a little Arctic Silver 5 on it?

Do I want to have a look at the fan, make sure it's clean?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#7 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Muse wrote: What kind of temp should I expect? It's running the T5500, not a very powerful CPU.
Your idling temps should be in the 50s at the most.
So, clean off the CPU and spread a little Arctic Silver 5 on it?

Do I want to have a look at the fan, make sure it's clean?
Yes to both.

Cheers,