Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T23 Motherboard works with battery, doesnt work with charger

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
Hixon

T23 Motherboard works with battery, doesnt work with charger

#1 Post by Hixon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Hello!

I have an interesting problem with one of my T23s. The system works perfectly with battery, but can not work properly when it is charging.

I disassembled the T23, disconnected everything from minipci to hdd, but the problem is still exist. When it is charging, the system does't want to boot up. Actually, it starts and shows the IBM Thinkpad logo for 0.5 sec and it just suddenly turns off (no matter if the battery is connected or not). When it is working with battery, and i connect the charger it turns off immediately too. And yes, after a this type of turn-off, I have to disconnect the battery (and of cource the charger) also in order to be able to reboot the machine, because if i dont disconnect and reconnect the battery the system just simply doesnt react to the turn on button anymore.

I have checked my T23 with two different types of IBM chargers, both of them work properly with my another T23. I've checked inductors which seem fine.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you very much in advance
IBM Thinkpad T601, Boe-Hydis UXGA, Native Penryn, QX9300, Intel X3100, 8GB Crucial RAM, 250GB Kingston SSD

OrionStar

Re: T23 Motherboard works with battery, doesnt work with charger

#2 Post by OrionStar » Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Could it be the circuit immediately after the port for charger?
I have a problem (here) opposite to yours but with one similarity. In my case, the same thing happens when both battery & charger are connected, but it works fine with charger only. If I add the battery, it falls into the same problem after a short time.