Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Playing video on a T 22 Thinkpad

T20-T23 Series and T30 specific matters only. NOT for T25-Retro.
chzuck
Freshman Member

Playing video on a T 22 Thinkpad

#1 Post by chzuck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:47 am

I need some input on playing video on my T22 Thinkpad. What version of Windows Media Player can it handle running W2kPRO? What version of Quicktime will work? I have MOV files and the video freezes when I play them currently using Quicktime 7.1.5. I have Windows Media Player 6.4.09.1129 installed. I have converters loaded on my desktop where I could convert them to any format. I have also increased RAM to 512.

PowerPC
Sophomore Member

Re: Playing video on a T 22 Thinkpad

#2 Post by PowerPC » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Try the software above. I don't know if it works with Windows 2000. It plays almost every file format in existence.

chzuck
Freshman Member

#3 Post by chzuck » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 pm

VLC currently supports Windows XP SP2 or later.

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Read this thread.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index ... c=128545.0

and the VLC version that reportedly supports Windows 2000 is version 1.0.5

1) go to this link http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

2) navigate your way to 1.0.5 by clicking on the orange link 'our FTP archive.'

3) you should be able to find version 1.0.5 there

Let us know if this works. There may be others that have a similar question. Good luck :)
Thinkpad X230 | Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 | mATX Haswell Desktop | Hackintosh

chzuck
Freshman Member

#5 Post by chzuck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know.

chzuck
Freshman Member

#6 Post by chzuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm

I downloaded VLC 1.0.5 and it appears to work fine so far. I tried SMplayer and could not get it to work at all. I plan on trying the latest flash player as I saw on one of the links.

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 pm

I feel that the more recent versions of flash have gotten more resource heavy. I once had an 600X ThinkPad with an 500mhz processor (~2 years ago) and running youtube videos was not possible. I am thinking that since then flash has become even more demanding (and ridiculous IMO) and your T20 might have difficulty playing YT videos. If that occurs I have heard of a program called Minitube which you can read about HERE. In my experience it seems older processors are more adept at playing videos that do not require streaming (e.g. preloaded video files on your hard drive, flash drive, or DVD).
Thinkpad X230 | Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 | mATX Haswell Desktop | Hackintosh

chzuck
Freshman Member

#8 Post by chzuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks, I will take a look before I try the newer Flash.

DRobinson
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by DRobinson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Have you considered trying linux on the machine? It will have modern browsers and other apps available. I have a T23 (on it at the moment) and a T20 chassis with a T22 MB/CPU. Neither one of these machines have adobe flash on them. In fact, I probably would not try to run any current flash on anything less than a T60. Even the T4xs will be pretty underpowered for streaming flash video. I would not want to use an old version, that will leave you open to all sorts of security holes.

The older machines are very good machines still. They can surf the net (non-video), do office documents, email, and all the other non-media-intense functions that we used to use computers for. This T23 is running linux on a compact flash card. It is silent and fast (for the age). I wish you well keeping your T22 going, they are nice machines.
IBM T20 (2647-86U) - 900MHz/512MB - 2x8GB CF - Atheros AR5413 mini-pci - #! IBM T23 - 16GB CF - #!
IBM T42 (2373-JTU) - 1.7GHz/1GB - HM160HC IBM 560x - 233MHz/96MB IBM 701c
Lenovo T601 (8897/2007) - T9300 - 4GB - 32GB SSD - Xubuntu 14.04

czukuczuku

#10 Post by czukuczuku » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:17 am

for non flash videos im using geexbox with my t23 (http://www.geexbox.org) its really nice, lighweight linux based multimedia distro, dont need that much resources, and runs smooth most of xvid, divx, x264, rmvb standard definiction movies. i really like it so much that even on much more powerfull machines i like to run gb. you can run it from cd, usb, or just install on hd next to other os, and have dual boot. just make sure to get older version based on mplayer, the last is i guess 1.2.4, couse newer one are much more demanding and our old thinkpads are not sufficient for it..

chzuck
Freshman Member

#11 Post by chzuck » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:15 am

DRobinson wrote:Have you considered trying linux on the machine? It will have modern browsers and other apps available. I have a T23 (on it at the moment) and a T20 chassis with a T22 MB/CPU. Neither one of these machines have adobe flash on them. In fact, I probably would not try to run any current flash on anything less than a T60. Even the T4xs will be pretty underpowered for streaming flash video. I would not want to use an old version, that will leave you open to all sorts of security holes.

The older machines are very good machines still. They can surf the net (non-video), do office documents, email, and all the other non-media-intense functions that we used to use computers for. This T23 is running linux on a compact flash card. It is silent and fast (for the age). I wish you well keeping your T22 going, they are nice machines.
My brother is big on Linux. I have tried to use one of the many versions twice and I seem to have so many problems getting them to work. I just cannot seem to understand their programs. I wish I could because they seem like great programs for older computers.

posscakes

#12 Post by posscakes » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:21 pm

chzuck wrote:
DRobinson wrote:Have you considered trying linux on the machine? It will have modern browsers and other apps available. I have a T23 (on it at the moment) and a T20 chassis with a T22 MB/CPU. Neither one of these machines have adobe flash on them. In fact, I probably would not try to run any current flash on anything less than a T60. Even the T4xs will be pretty underpowered for streaming flash video. I would not want to use an old version, that will leave you open to all sorts of security holes.

My brother is big on Linux. I have tried to use one of the many versions twice and I seem to have so many problems getting them to work. I just cannot seem to understand their programs. I wish I could because they seem like great programs for older computers.
I'm pretty big on Linux. Every machine i've owned since '04 has either had Xubuntu or Arch as their primary OS (nowdays prefer bog standard Debian with a custom kernel) My T23 had a fairly paired down Arch install on it that worked good for a number of years, but i recently put xp on it to run a few specific programs ( Elsawin which is a vw workshop manual archive and Oziexplorer which is a moving map program that pairs with a gps) One thing i've noticed is much better video performance under xp, i'm assuming the drivers which are still supplied on the lenovo website are better than the linux ones... I never used to watch youtube with that machine cause it would lag and stutter and eventually turn off the OS after a few minutes (heat senser thing), but the other night i watched a 2 hour doco no dramas to my pleasant surprise. So i never thought i'd be advocating running windows on an old machine but i am now hehe!
T23 (purchased for $20, built up from dead laptops. 1.2ghz cpu upgrade, wifi mini pci card and ufl jack mod. refuses to die)
T40 (dead in cupboard - gpu thing - inspired to fix after reading this forum!)
T410 (current flagship)

chzuck
Freshman Member

#13 Post by chzuck » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 pm

With your upgraded processor I can see XP running fine. My processor is original at 900Mhz and I was told by several on this site that XP would run very slow.

I may be getting my son's T-60 when he gets a newer one. So, I don't want to spend any money on the T22 for now.
Last edited by chzuck on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#14 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:16 am

Don't forget that a T23 takes twice as much (2x512MB=1GB) RAM as your T22 (2x256MB=1/2GB).
And its top CPU runs 20% faster as well.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.