Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Removing that sticky rubber coating

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
Zygmo

Removing that sticky rubber coating

#1 Post by Zygmo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:17 pm

For you guys with the early T models that have rubberized coatings. Mine had turned sticky, and was all nasty looking. Take a single-edged razor blade, and slide it across the cover like you would to clean a glass window pane. You will be amazed how quickly and cleanly it comes off. Take reasonable care you won't get many scratches on the plastic, if any. But anything is better than that sticky rubber!!

I need to update this. I noticed (after I posted my use of the razor blade) that someone else here mentioned using a credit card. I had not completely removed all the rubber from the edges, because besides the fact that it is hard to use a blade on that area without nicking the plastic, it was really not much of an issue on mine. But, I did try the credit card approach on those areas just now. It does sort-of work, but it gives the impression of just pushing the rubber, without completely removing all of it.
However, I think that is still better than using the blade on the edges. So I believe a combination of both is the way to go. Use a razor blade for the large flat areas, then switch to the credit card for the rest. And, I will try to find some sort of hard plastic with a thinner edge than a credit card and try that.
Last edited by Zygmo on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Removing that sticky rubber coating

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Return to “ThinkPad T20-T23 & T30 Series. NOT for T25-Retro”