Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problem about memory

T20-T23 Series and T30 specific matters only. NOT for T25-Retro.
nexgardvietnam

Problem about memory

#1 Post by nexgardvietnam » Wed May 09, 2018 11:03 pm

It is supposed to be genuine IBM 19K4656 memory. And I bought a 512mb stick of memory for my T23 (2647) Also I see there is a 3 year warranty on memory, is this transferrable? Does it matter which slot I put it in if it will be the only memory in the thinkpad? If so, how do I verify the date on which the warranty started?

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Problem about memory

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 pm

I find new memory warranty is only as good as the vendor. Some vendor can determine the date by the serial number on the label. GSkill was good with this. I sent it to them and they sent a replacement.

Used memory can and is a crap shoot. Also, considering the age of your machine it could be the machine too. Test your memory and machine by taking 1 module and placing into 1 slot. If it works move the next slot. If it doesn't work install a know working memory module, etc. Until you know that all slots on your machine works it's hard to determine if it's the memory module or the machine that is at fault.