Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T23 CMOS Battery

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
Summer Deep

T23 CMOS Battery

#1 Post by Summer Deep » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:28 pm

I've been trying to restore a 'spares and repairs' T23 to good usable condition. So far the dvd drive has been renewed and I've installed an internal hard drive and operating system, which was not without problems. But progress has stalled with repeated failed attempts to replace the dead CMOS battery.

Firstly, could anyone please tell me whether the red or the black wire should be on the left? I've assumed the latter, as that's how I recall it being positioned when removing the old one, but I'm far from certain.

Secondly, how to get it to plug in? The restricted working area in the battery compartment has made this impossible so far: I've tried holding the tiny white connector with tweezers, but they just slip off the hard, shiny plastic. If I try to insert it when attached to the black plastic 'cradle' (or whatever it's called) I can't see where I'm putting the connector, as the cradle assembly obscures the view. Plus, securing the connector to the cradle is an incredibly fiddly and difficult business, and I'm sure I'll only be able to attempt it a few times before the very thin, fragile wires get damaged. Whoever designed this setup clearly didn't think through the implications for future owners!

I know there've been one or two other threads on this subject, but I've read them and am not much the wiser.

I've noted that the BIOS seems to retain its clock settings after the operating system is shut down, provided that the laptop is on on mains power and that it's not disconnected, but this is hardly any kind of 'solution'.

kfzhu1229
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T23 CMOS Battery

#2 Post by kfzhu1229 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Summer Deep wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:28 pm
I've been trying to restore a 'spares and repairs' T23 to good usable condition. So far the dvd drive has been renewed and I've installed an internal hard drive and operating system, which was not without problems. But progress has stalled with repeated failed attempts to replace the dead CMOS battery.

Firstly, could anyone please tell me whether the red or the black wire should be on the left? I've assumed the latter, as that's how I recall it being positioned when removing the old one, but I'm far from certain.

Secondly, how to get it to plug in? The restricted working area in the battery compartment has made this impossible so far: I've tried holding the tiny white connector with tweezers, but they just slip off the hard, shiny plastic. If I try to insert it when attached to the black plastic 'cradle' (or whatever it's called) I can't see where I'm putting the connector, as the cradle assembly obscures the view. Plus, securing the connector to the cradle is an incredibly fiddly and difficult business, and I'm sure I'll only be able to attempt it a few times before the very thin, fragile wires get damaged. Whoever designed this setup clearly didn't think through the implications for future owners!

I know there've been one or two other threads on this subject, but I've read them and am not much the wiser.

I've noted that the BIOS seems to retain its clock settings after the operating system is shut down, provided that the laptop is on on mains power and that it's not disconnected, but this is hardly any kind of 'solution'.
You make sure the connector is right against the plastic tray, and use the little arm of the plastic tray to force the connector in, if it is the right orientation. I will double check the orientation of my T23 CMOS battery to give you a better visualisation.
Worst comes to worst you can always disassemble the palmrest to connect the battery with a much better view.
While this solution isn't the most ideal one, it is still far better than some other home computers that I have seen, which has the tiny cells soldered onto the motherboard.
Dell Lat CP MMX-233 64mb 40gb W2k
600 PII-266 416mb 40gb WXP
T23 PIII 1.13ghz 1gb W7
Precision M4300 X9000 8gb 160gb WUXGA Ultrasharp fp W10
T530i 15.6" i7 16gb fp W10
UXGA:
A30p PIII 1.2 1gb W7 (IDTech)
T43p 2.26 2gb fp W10 (Sharp)
Lat C840 P4-2.5 2gb 60gb W7 (Ultrasharp)

tfflivemb2
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#3 Post by tfflivemb2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 am

With the laptop upside down, the black wire is facing the back, and the red to the front. I believe when I tried replacing one before, i had a thin flat tip screw driver that I placed BETWEEN the two wires, to steer it into place. I just removed the main battery on one of mine, but honestly, I didn't want to remove the CMOS to test it so that I don't have to reset things.

Summer Deep

#4 Post by Summer Deep » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Well, after another exasperating half an hour or so of trying, and a good deal of cursing, I've finally got this thing plugged in and working! :D

Many thanks to tfflivemb2 for confirming the arrangement of the wires, and to kfzhu1229 for providing reassurance that this could be made to work by persevering with using the mounting tray.

Seriously though, it's a very tricky operation indeed to get the wires and connector properly mounted on that structure, and you really need sharper eyesight and steadier hands than I have. Maybe I should lay off the Chenin Blanc....

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:15 pm

Summer Deep wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:17 pm
Maybe I should lay off the Chenin Blanc....
Try these (IMHO much, MUCH better) white wines instead: Pinot Gris, Riesling and Gewurztraminer (all from the Alsace).
I've lived for 25 years next door to the Alsace, and it's absolutely amazing what this area can produce!
(not to forget the great wine festivals they have every year in Eguisheim, Gueberschwir, Turckheim, etc.).
But don't go for the cheap ones that you can buy from the likes of Tesco or Asda!
Maybe take a trip over and stock up on French wine/booze before Brexit jacks up the prices?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

acz
Freshman Member

#6 Post by acz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:48 pm

I just have to second the motion regarding wine from Alsace, I daresay I have liked every one that I have tried! :)