Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad T22 stuck on IBM logo

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
ctorange

Thinkpad T22 stuck on IBM logo

#1 Post by ctorange » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:31 pm

My ancient T22 refuses to die completely... It gets to the IBM logo and stays stuck there. It allows me to hit F1 or F12 to get to the BIOS/boot list respectively, and when I hit F1 or F12 it says "Preparing Boot Device List" etc but that text stays there along with the IBM logo and the computer never does anything else. It shows this behavior with the (original 12GB) HDD both installed and removed. The HDD indicator LED stays on steady as does the power indicator (The "lightning bolt" symbol). If I remove the RAM and boot it up it makes the expected series of beeps. So... MoBo? CPU? I imagine it would be something along those lines. I'm willing to do whatever to fix it. Fortunately there are some cheap T22 motherboards on Ebay right now. I also have another dead T22 in my posession from which I could presumably take its CPU and test it in mine. But I want to hear your opinions first. Thanks!

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad T22 stuck on IBM logo

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Press Escape to see what it's doing. It might be taking a hell of a long time to test the RAM.

Pressing spacebar should skip the process.

ctorange

#3 Post by ctorange » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks! It said:

CPU = INtel R blah blah
640K Sytem RAM Passed
255M Extended RAM Passed
0256K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address: DC00
Mouse Initialized
ATAPI CD-ROM: HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-S200

It did all that quite quickly but hasn't done anything since. Thought: could it be a keyboard issue? It seems odd that initialized the mouse but didn't say anything about a keyboard.

tfflivemb2
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by tfflivemb2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am

Have you tried doing the usual, remove one device at a time, to see if you can get it to boot?
I was just dealing with a similar issue on a 760XL, and it turned out to actually be the hard drive, or the hard drive cable. Gotta go see if I can dig up an old one, as I noticed it may have a small tear in it.

ctorange

#5 Post by ctorange » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Okay, I've gotten it to boot to bios without the following:
-HDD
-Optical drive
-battery

I'm worried I wont be able to replicate this, but its here for now. I guess this is the part where i need to decide what to do next.

ctorange

#6 Post by ctorange » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:09 pm

As I was afraid of, I can't get it to BIOS again, that appeared to be rare occurrence. I then tried taking out the LAN card, but it still showed the same behavior. So at this point I've tried taking out everything that is readily accessible, and it still is stuck before BIOS.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:38 pm

Check out the BOD (blink of death), which has been discussed many times here: viewtopic.php?t=59577
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

ctorange

#8 Post by ctorange » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm pretty sure its not a blink of death - as far as I can tell, the BOD laptops don't even get into the IBM logo like mine. If it was an issue like that, I don't feel comfortable soldering, anyways. So unless I can come up with something else, I'll probably just get a new board.

tfflivemb2
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#9 Post by tfflivemb2 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:35 am

ctorange wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:10 pm
I'm pretty sure its not a blink of death - as far as I can tell, the BOD laptops don't even get into the IBM logo like mine. If it was an issue like that, I don't feel comfortable soldering, anyways. So unless I can come up with something else, I'll probably just get a new board.
That was my thought, as the logo means it is trying to power up. I think that since you were able to get it to the BIOS once, you may be able to do it again. IF you can get into the BIOS again, I would check your boot order. Another option might be to try unplugging your CMOS (Note: its not always easy to plug back in...but leaving the devices removed.

ctorange

#10 Post by ctorange » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:20 pm

So you mean disconnect all devices, unplug CMOS, RE-plug CMOS, and then try booting still without any other devices?

As far as boot order, what would be "ideal"? I assume the idea is to not have the BIOS look for something it can't find.

Thanks.

tfflivemb2
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#11 Post by tfflivemb2 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Yes, amd you can just keep it simple and have the boot order set to just hard drive. Assuming you can get into the BIOS.

ctorange

#12 Post by ctorange » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Thanks everyone. I haven't worked on it since I last posted. But when this semester is done, I'd like to try completely disassembling it and reassembling it, and replacing everything that needs replacing on the way. I think it's going to be quite the "Ship of Theseus" situation :lol: It will be a good excuse to clean two decades worth of grime anyways.