Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SD to 44pin IDE adapter with SD card accessible outside

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
jelabarre59

SD to 44pin IDE adapter with SD card accessible outside

#1 Post by jelabarre59 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:10 pm

I have been looking for a way to adapt the HDD on my T23 so I can use SD/MMC cards with it (to be able to swap between configurations, and to make it easy to re-load a configuration to it using my more-current Linux desktop).

I know they have cards like this https://www.amazon.com/GODSHARK-Adapter ... B07QNB6QLC that take a full-size SD card (I should actually say *CARD*, as from what I can see there's only one manufacturer, but it's been rebadged under 500-600 different questionable resellers) but the card sits down inside the drive bay, and isn't removable without pulling the HDD (I'm thinking the machine is getting too old to keep putting stress on the HDD connector).

the SD card extenders I've seen have such long cables you'd be trying to fold them up with harsh bends just to fit them into the space, and the right-angle fold would be the worst. What I'd want is something a bit longer, and with the SD card port facing towards the outside of the drive bay (away from the pins). Anyone know of any such adapter? Amazon is worthless for the search, and some shady site like AliExpress doesn't have it.

Now, if my soldering was any good (Louis Rossmann I'm not) I might take the risk of buying one of these and seeing if the port could be un-soldered from the card, then make my own "harness" to put the port further out on an original ThinkPad HDD tray.