Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Bumps on Keyboard and Bezel After Reassembly

T60/T61 series specific matters only
jcdbm

Bumps on Keyboard and Bezel After Reassembly

#1 Post by jcdbm » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:34 pm

Hello, I've done some work on the inside of my ThinkPad T601 and resassembled it back together, only it seems I am doing something wrong. I've tried loosening some screws but I still get some bends on the keyboard bezel towards the screen, and my spacebar seems lopsided (happens with other keyboards as well). I'm wondering if this is a problem others here have faced, or if its just my inexperience , as it seems pretty rudimentary.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Bumps on Keyboard and Bezel After Reassembly

#2 Post by Neil » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Maybe the bezel tabs didn't slide into their slots, but are sitting on top of the frame instead. As for the keyboard, could be a misplaced wire won't allow the keyboard to seat properly.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:19 am

Remove the KB-bezel and check that the clamps underneath, at the LCD-side, are not bent/broken.
You need to insert the bezel at a ~30 degree angle to make the clamps fit properly.
The spacebar may just need a push on the righthand side to fit back in properly.
Or has something underneath (the key or KB) as Neil suggested.
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown until 5 March 2021!
Covid-19: Stay safe, so Mask it or Casket!

jcdbm

#4 Post by jcdbm » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Neil wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:43 pm
Maybe the bezel tabs didn't slide into their slots, but are sitting on top of the frame instead.
RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:19 am
Remove the KB-bezel and check that the clamps underneath, at the LCD-side, are not bent/broken.
You need to insert the bezel at a ~30 degree angle to make the clamps fit properly.
The spacebar may just need a push on the righthand side to fit back in properly.
Or has something underneath (the key or KB) as Neil suggested.
This was it. I couldn't believe I missed this small detail, since I've worked on a T61p before and had the same issue. Thanks!
For the keyboard, I had to unscrew one of the palmrest screws on the bottom of the laptop to be a little less tight, and that seems to have fixed the problem.