Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Got a T61, which OS?

T60/T61 Series
devinfriday

Got a T61, which OS?

#1 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi, now that i got a T61 i must decide which os i should install, so i am asking some advice. Apart from the upgrades (4gb are on the way, as the SSD) it should be used as a general daily use, with the option for remote desktop client for either windows pc and linux. Software must be open or free software, no commercial licenses. I have read about making a hackintosh (has X1300 intel gpu), could it be useful? My knowledge about macos is about Quarkexpress used for self printed newspaper for a couple of years a couple of decades ago . Middleton bios has already been installed...

devinfriday

Re: Got a T61, which OS?

#2 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Forgot to mention that i have a pair of win10 machines, a linux server will be installed when parts arrived and a pentium 4 will be installed as a retro XP machine for retro gaming and as backup machine.

atagunov

#3 Post by atagunov » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi I'd expect Linux to be quick and easy to setup. I'm lazy, I'm setting up Ubuntu everywhere. Less lazy people seem to prefer Debian or some other flavor.

Mac OS doesn't satisfy the "open or free software" requirement does it? ;-) Besides I'd expect that most of free and open software - especially which runs with 4Gb RAM on a Hackintosh - to also exist in a Linux version.

I've been considering building a Hackintosh out of noticeably more powerful hardware like W530 or a desktop but I gave up the idea eventually. I concluded it wasn't worth the investment of my time - and it seems building a Hackintosh does require some effort.
X220, 2 *T520

devinfriday

#4 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm

atagunov wrote:Hi I'd expect Linux to be quick and easy to setup. I'm lazy, I'm setting up Ubuntu everywhere. Less lazy people seem to prefer Debian or some other flavor.

Mac OS doesn't satisfy the "open or free software" requirement does it? ;-) Besides I'd expect that most of free and open software - especially which runs with 4Gb RAM on a Hackintosh - to also exist in a Linux version.

I've been considering building a Hackintosh out of noticeably more powerful hardware like W530 or a desktop but I gave up the idea eventually. I concluded it wasn't worth the investment of my time - and it seems building a Hackintosh does require some effort.
In MacOs you can install free software by compiling code and using a x11 server for graphical windows, as Cairo composer is proprietary and open source software cannot interface with it. At least this was the situation on 10.0/10.1 releases...

atagunov

#5 Post by atagunov » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:45 pm

devinfriday wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm
In MacOs you can install free software by compiling code and using a x11 server for graphical windows, as Cairo composer is proprietary and open source software cannot interface with it. At least this was the situation on 10.0/10.1 releases...
Good to know, thx! I still don't see the point though :) How is that better than Ubuntu? %)
X220, 2 *T520

devinfriday

#6 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:58 pm

atagunov wrote:
devinfriday wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm
Good to know, thx! I still don't see the point though :) How is that better than Ubuntu? %)
Oh, it's just for your knowledge Image