Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T61 and the Advanced Dock

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Fixed_Rider
Sophomore Member

Re: T61 and the Advanced Dock

#31 Post by Fixed_Rider » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 am

Nice, I'll look for in a bit. I appreciate the tip.
ThinkPads: T420 W520, X61, X61s, T61, T43p (SATA Mod by RBS) & iPhone 5

DaKKS

#32 Post by DaKKS » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:44 am

Right, it didn't fit. The metal thingy is in the way and i cant disassemble the dock to remove it. It seems Lenovo, in their great wisdom, decided to use a tad different TORX screws with pins in the middle.

Other than that the card should fit fine. Only the metal bar has to go.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#33 Post by TuuS » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 pm

DaKKS wrote: It seems Lenovo, in their great wisdom, decided to use a tad different TORX screws with pins in the middle.

This is call a Security torx

The tool needed isn't restricted by any laws that I'm aware of so there really isn't anything about it that makes it more secure, in fact if I'm not mistaken, all T61 thinkpads came with a security torx screw and wrench to lock your ultrabay drive in place to keep it from being stolen, but the logic behind the security torx fasteners alludes me.

Fixed_Rider
Sophomore Member

#34 Post by Fixed_Rider » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:54 pm

DaKKS,

I ran into the same issue with the Gigabyte Radeon card I posted a few posts ago. Fortunately I was able to unscrew the metal bracket that the card gets screwed to by the outputs and I removed the plastic bit opposite of that metal bracket and the card slid right in. Works great! Also, it came with some OC software should we chose to dabble.
Either way it was a much better solution than dealing with the large heat sink from the Sapphire card.
Keep us posted on how you are coming along.
ThinkPads: T420 W520, X61, X61s, T61, T43p (SATA Mod by RBS) & iPhone 5

DaKKS

#35 Post by DaKKS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 am

I give up. I found a set of security torx bits and I spent the last two hours trying to pull the darn thing apart. Nope, like it was glued together. I'd have bigger luck breaking into fort knox...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#36 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 am

You could try to spray some WD-40 onto the screw(s) and let it 'soak' for a while.
Failing that, good old Coca Cola will also do the (sticky) trick. :twisted:
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

DaKKS

#37 Post by DaKKS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:03 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:You could try to spray some WD-40 onto the screw(s) and let it 'soak' for a while.
Failing that, good old Coca Cola will also do the (sticky) trick. :twisted:
No, I mean the internal frame refuses to release the plastic. I've got have an inch of gap between the two parts, but aside from using far more violence than I'm comfortable with, I cant see how i can open it up.

EDIT: Now I cant put the f**king thing back together either! Who the f**k built this thing? The Chubb brothers?

DaKKS

#38 Post by DaKKS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Thats it. Anyone want a partially disassembled Advanced dock? Cause I cant pull it apart, and now i cant put it together again either.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#39 Post by TuuS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:17 pm

DaKKS wrote:Thats it. Anyone want a partially disassembled Advanced dock? Cause I cant pull it apart, and now i cant put it together again either.
Usually if it won't come apart that means there are some hidden screws, they are often covered with black stickers, some can be hard to tell from the black plastic.

Some patience will probably get the job done as I ran into a similar issue trying to replace the DC jack on x61 tablet ultrabase dock, but after I found all the screws and got it apart, I found the jack was soldered to the board so I abandoned the project since it was cheaper to replace the whole dock.

DaKKS

#40 Post by DaKKS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm

TuuS wrote:Usually if it won't come apart that means there are some hidden screws, they are often covered with black stickers, some can be hard to tell from the black plastic.

Some patience will probably get the job done as I ran into a similar issue trying to replace the DC jack on x61 tablet ultrabase dock, but after I found all the screws and got it apart, I found the jack was soldered to the board so I abandoned the project since it was cheaper to replace the whole dock.
There is no screw that I have not loosened. Not a single one. Its just stuck. The only explanation would be that there is a screw under the eject button, but its impossible to get it off. Its completely stuck near the key lock. That corner just wont budge. I've been building computers for ten years so I consider myself fairly competent. But this is just beyond me.

EDIT: It came apart using excessive violence. There were no screws...

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#41 Post by TuuS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm

DaKKS wrote:It came apart using excessive violence.

Sometimes a better screwdriver is what's needed, other times just a larger hammer :)

ps. we look forward to a good report :)

DaKKS

#42 Post by DaKKS » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Good news and bad news.

Good news, the dock works fine with the new gfx card.

Bad news, I had to do major modifications for the gfx card to fit. Internally, it doesnt look all that good. But nothing can be seen from the outside.

Also, I didn't have any screws left over when i was done! Yay! :banana: