Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Installing Windows 7, SSD on T60

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Muse

Installing Windows 7, SSD on T60

#1 Post by Muse » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

It's still got the original install of XP, IIRC, on the original 60GB HD. I'm finally going to install an SSD. I have a choice between (already have, both unused):

Intel 520 Series 120GB
Intel 330 Series 180GB

I ordered Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (New Packaging) [ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOU ... UTF8&psc=1 ], now have it.

I'm seeking advice, links, suggestions, guidance in this project to convert the T60 to running an SSD and installing Windows 7. Should I download and put drivers on a flash stick before proceeding? Which ones?

Specs on the machine:

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500
Genuine Windows® XP Professional
14.1 SXGA+ TFT
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 w/o WWAN
3GB RAM
60 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim
ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ
6 cell Li-Ion Battery

This will be my first experience installing and using an SSD. I do have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my T61 machine, which has a big HD. I got 32 bit Windows 7 for the T60 because of a few programs I use that won't run on 64bit machines. Thanks for help!
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Installing Windows 7, SSD on T60

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:43 am

In BIOS, set SATA to AHCI.
Insert either SSD (with caddy and screws) in the HD-bay.
Then use the CD to install W7, it will do all the 'dirty work' for you.
Install an Antivirus, such as the free MSE.
Then go to Lenovo to install the latest TVSU (ThinkVantage System Update) for W7, and run it a few times till everything is there.
Then run Windows update a few times till everything is there.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:14 am

Cool beans, thank you! :thumbs-UP:
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

dogbarber
Freshman Member

#4 Post by dogbarber » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 am

FWIW...i have the Intel 520. Nice drive.
Nokia 920 Windows 8 phone
Dell Latitude E5500
Ideapad P500
Thinkpad R52
Thinkpad T61 ---> Intel 520 120G SSD, 1 Tb WD Blue Scorpion 12.5mm hard drive, Middleton BIOS, 4 Gigs Ram, Intel 6200 wireless N, T7700 processor.

Muse

#5 Post by Muse » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 pm

dogbarber wrote:FWIW...i have the Intel 520. Nice drive.
I'm stoked. This upgrade is long overdue. I think I'll put the 180GB in this T60 and then put the 120GB in my T61, reason being that I can move the 600+ GB drive in the T61 to the optical drive bay for extra storage. I want to keep my DVD/CD burner in the T60. This will give me the opportunity to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on the T61, it's been acting nasty lately, there are two critical MS updates that fail to install.

Muse

#6 Post by Muse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:09 am

I don't make a habit of storing data where Microsoft likes it, under Documents and Settings. I've always found their system to be unnecessarily complicated and confusing... a nutty convoluted tree with branches with names that confuse and confound. When it's up to me I store on my own data drives using my own system. However, there's stuff in there anyway under D&S, so I think the following reviewer comments at Amazon for the Win7 I bought are helpful:
- -
A hint at Amazon (review):

Great info on the web to assist in the upgrade and went smooth as you could hope for.
Run the upgrade assistant check prior to starting to see any SW & HW compatibility issues with the new OS.
Have a big external HD to save your XP easy transfer file to as this is a new install and old files will not be preserved.
Also after upgrading a windows.old file is created which can be very large possibly resulting in insufficient HD space to copy your files back using the easy transfer program. Just copy this file to the external HD then delete it from your PC. Save it for a week or two to insure everything is running well on W7. Since this is a new install you may receive an error with insufficient partition space available when starting the W7 upgrade. This is due to the old OS XP running on the machine. Simply change the boot order on your PC to boot from the DVD drive instead on the HD and the install takes right off. PC is running cleaner and faster than ever before.
- -
Of course, I'm going to be doing a clean install on a blank drive, so unless I decide I want to dual boot (not planning to), I will just be looking to get my data on an external HD for restore to the cleanly installed Windows 7. I guess there's a utility or function within XP where I can export the data. I'll look for it. Or, maybe I can just kind of spock it out and manually copy it and restore. Or maybe I shouldn't even bother...

rayme52

#7 Post by rayme52 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:19 pm

"I ordered Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (New Packaging) [ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOU ... UTF8&psc=1 ], now have it."

I have two T60's and want to up date the XP OS because I heard that XP will not be updated any more. I was looking at the site you linked to and saw this in the product description: This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed.

My question is, will I be able to install this on both of my T60's and also format and reinstall if necessary?

Muse

#8 Post by Muse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm

I presume that the EULA enables you to install it on just one computer. If you no longer run it on that computer you can install it on another, I suppose, but not both at same time. You could, I'm sure, reformat and install again if you choose to do that.

That Windows you just bought looks to be the same as the one I got. I will still have a couple of PC's that run XP. One won't run Win7 (It's my desktop and I'm planning to buy another motherboard, CPU, RAM, for that box), the other is a T60 and it's my server machine, on 24/7, I figure I'll just get it up to date. I never surf the web with it, it should be pretty impervious to intrusion... I hope. I could install some distro of Linux on it, probably a righteous idea, but I'm totally unfamiliar with Linux. It might be a worthwhile project just for the experience.

I've now installed the Easy Transfer utility from Microsoft on this T60 XP and run it. It's super easy and worked fine AFAIK. I saved the file (8GB or so) to an external 3TB HD. It's been suggested that once I install Win7 on this machine, before restoring from the Easy Transfer file I make an image of the machine in case something goes wrong. And, of course, it could be useful if I want for any reason to go back to a basic install without having to start all over. I could do basic stuff before making the image, including installing the Lenovo TVSU, Windows Updates, AV, as realblackstuff suggested in this thread.

I've also copied some other data from this machine to the external HD, stuff that Easy Transfer doesn't know about that I have stashed on the HD.

dr_st

#9 Post by dr_st » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:24 am

Muse wrote:I presume that the EULA enables you to install it on just one computer. If you no longer run it on that computer you can install it on another, I suppose, but not both at same time. You could, I'm sure, reformat and install again if you choose to do that.
Not really. The EULA for OEM license (which is cheaper), is, as he says, non-transferrable. You cannot install it on a different machine even after removing it from the first one, or even if the first one dies. That's what the terms say. What ones does in practice may be a different story.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

rayme52

#10 Post by rayme52 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Thank you, I believe I understand. If I want to update each T60 to W7 they each have to have their own W7 OS installed and authenticated. I guess I was a little confused because after purchasing XP R&R discs, I was able to use them on both of my T60's and that was because they were already installed with XP and authenticated.

Since one of the machines is just a back up, it doesn't make much sense to update right now. I am thinking like Muse of putting a SSD in while updating the OS.

Shredder11

#11 Post by Shredder11 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:18 am

I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD™ to put Win 7 Pro on my T60p laptop. This software handles all the necessary alignment stuff etc.

http://www.paragon-software.com/technol ... OS-to-SSD/
Z61p x3 (C2D T7600, 3GB, 500GB SSD, BCM70015, Advanced Dock x1, Mini Dock x2)
W520 (C2Q i7-2720QM, 8GB, 60GB SSD)
X61 (C2D T7500, 3GB, 250GB SSD, BCM70015)
X61s (2GB, 120GB SSD)
T43p (P M 760, 2GB, IBM Port Replicator II, 128GB SSD)
G41 (P4 3.46GHz, 2GB, 128GB SSD)

Muse

#12 Post by Muse » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:38 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:In BIOS, set SATA to AHCI.
Insert either SSD (with caddy and screws) in the HD-bay.
Then use the CD to install W7, it will do all the 'dirty work' for you.
Install an Antivirus, such as the free MSE.
Then go to Lenovo to install the latest TVSU (ThinkVantage System Update) for W7, and run it a few times till everything is there.
Then run Windows update a few times till everything is there.
I did this today:

Checked in BIOS, SATA mode was already set to AHCI.

BIOS version is 2.6

Removed the original HD, replaced with the virgin Intel 330 180GB SSD.

Started the machine and slipped the Windows 7 32bit install disk in the optical drive.

Files loaded for quite a while and then the screen changed to Starting Windows. I should mention that after installing the SSD drive I put the machine back in its customary place, in a mini-dock which is attached to a 23" monitor by HDMI and a 19" monitor by VGA. It's the 19" monitor that always displays everything until the Windows sign-on screen appears.

So, the 19" monitor is saying Starting Windows but this has gone on for 4.5 hours now. Is something wrong? I've known Windows to have the Starting Windows on the monitor for a long time when installing but I don't think as long as 4.5 hours. :?

dr_st

#13 Post by dr_st » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:31 am

Sounds like either your installation disk is bad or your SSD is bad or your machine is bad. :?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

dogbarber
Freshman Member

#14 Post by dogbarber » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:41 am

dr_st wrote:Sounds like either your installation disk is bad or your SSD is bad or your machine is bad. :?
That's a lot of bad.
Nokia 920 Windows 8 phone
Dell Latitude E5500
Ideapad P500
Thinkpad R52
Thinkpad T61 ---> Intel 520 120G SSD, 1 Tb WD Blue Scorpion 12.5mm hard drive, Middleton BIOS, 4 Gigs Ram, Intel 6200 wireless N, T7700 processor.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#15 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:47 am

Muse wrote:
BIOS version is 2.6
If you mean 2.06 that's pretty old...the current one is 2.27

I'd try installing OS without the machine being docked...if that doesn't yield any results, swapping a media drive and/or the media itself (but not at the same time) could point to the culprit...

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Muse

#16 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:39 am

ajkula66 wrote:
Muse wrote:
BIOS version is 2.6
If you mean 2.06 that's pretty old...the current one is 2.27

I'd try installing OS without the machine being docked...if that doesn't yield any results, swapping a media drive and/or the media itself (but not at the same time) could point to the culprit...

Good luck.
OK, thanks, after a night's sleep I'm ready to grapple with this. I did a bit of googling before turning out the light and came up with some threads. The most obvious thing I saw was that it was unwise to try installing Win7 with the machine docked or really with anything attached to it at all, for instance the USB mouse and USB external HD. I will see what happens with nothing attached at all. I'm wondering if Windows will offer to repair or install clean at this point, and which I should pick if it looks like I'm given a choice.

The BIOS version, yeah, I was from memory and memory failed. The BIOS is 2.26. Is that a problem? I figure not, but maybe I should install 2.27 or another version. I know from reading threads that there are some other BIOS versions out there.
Swapping a media drive and/or the media itself (not at the same time)
What's a media drive? The media is the installation disk, I assume. A media drive would be a HD in the optical bay? What exactly is that about. I have a HD optical bay tray, also a USB 2.5" HD device.

I sent myself an email from my bedroom last night with links I might want to check out if the problem persists:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2064- ... ows-screen

That looks good. Here's another possibly helpful site:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... -uefi-mode

another:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... a73b72f6d6

and another:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 28c6b8b10e

Muse

#17 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:58 am

Aha, so I removed the T60 from the dock, the USB mouse, and didn't remove the Windows installation disk and started it, and it said Loading Files for a minute or two and the Starting Windows screen came up, about 10x faster (probably faster than that), and lo and behold I saw the four-cornered Windows Pennant, preceded by the dancing fluorescent balls! That I did not see last night! A moment later I get the screen where I pick language, time and currency format and keyboard. I may be good to go. :thumbs-UP:

Ah, I hit enter and now I do have a choice. Install now or Repair your computer. I suppose I'll just do the Install Windows. It will take longer, but ....

Now I think I'm getting somewhere. Before I never got even a single restart, didn't get past first base apparently, although I have no idea what got installed. Evidently the SSD was formatted or I'd never be this far. It's right now "Expanding Windows files (1%)...

Edit: I just got to pick a name and computer name and am about to enter the key...

Now I'm asked to either use recommended settings, install important updates only or "ask me later." I know I can change this but will do recommended for now. Comments on that appreciated! <---

I am going to install MSE pretty early in the process.

Muse

#18 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 am

Well, maybe I am up a creek.

Windows did an automatic update (installed around 5 items to support various hardware), the machine rebooted to where I was yesterday with the Starting Windows, no Microsoft Pennant and seems to hang there. I had the installation disk still in there, I removed it, no change. I unplugged the machine from power and plugged it back in, started, Windows asked me if I wanted to Repair, and I said yes, it tried to return to a previous state where it worked, and now boots to the same hang. Umm. :?

I still have nothing connected to the machine. The wireless is working, obviously, because I did Windows Update one time.
Last edited by Muse on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PowerPC
Sophomore Member

#19 Post by PowerPC » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 am

Restore to a state before the update, then instead of installing all of them in one pass, install them one by one, so that you can isolate the culprit.

Muse

#20 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:03 am

PowerPC wrote:Restore to a state before the update, then instead of installing all of them in one pass, install them one by one, so that you can isolate the culprit.
OK, thanks! :thumbs-UP:

Muse

#21 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:05 am

Looks like Restore isn't getting the job done. It then boots to the hang. I may have to try to reinstall from scratch, but that's what I think I did this morning... :?

You know, the only thing I'm thinking of right now is the possibility of still having that problem I was having before, the inability to reboot without a hang and I'm wondering if an hour or two cool down will allow me to boot successfully and if putting that dime on top of the GPU isn't the solution. :| I just searched this thread, I guess I didn't mention it... I was having a problem (before removing the HD and installing the SSD and Windows 7) with the machine not rebooting, hanging at the Windows XP splash screen, but that screen was very faint. It would resolve if I let the machine cool an hour or two and I have theorized that it was because I removed the thermal pad on top of the Intel GMA 950 GPU chip. I put Arctic Silver 3 in there instead, but the GPU may not be getting sufficient cooling from the fan/heatsink assembly. I've shaved down a 1960 or so dime (90% silver content) with a whetstone and can open the machine and put it on top of the GPU with Arctic Silver 5 and see if that resolves the problem. It's been suggested that the reboot problem was maybe a software problem, so I figured that installing the SSD and Windows 7 would test that theory but right now my thought is that opening the machine and putting that dime in there is the next thing to try, particularly if the machine does indeed boot OK after a good cool down. I am going to unplug it right now, wait an hour+ and see if it boots...

Muse

#22 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:50 am

OK, cool down, Start Windows Normally, boots OK. Maybe I should have done "repair Windows," because that failed before. Well, I still like my theory that it's the overheating GPU screwing things up... Running Windows Update right now, will see what happens. I bet it reboots OK, until it gets too hot again.

It's downloading 151 updates ("important"), it may get too hot again and fail to reboot. Well if it does that I'll pull the plug, let it cool an hour or two and try again. If it succeeds in booting I think that bolsters my theory.

Still haven't installed MSE, I guess I will do that next opportunity. However, I don't have great confidence in MSE. Automatically installing is the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool. Don't know what relation that bears to MSE, there would seem to be one. :?

Muse

#23 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Well, I don't know. 151 updates were installed, I was prompted to restart, I did and the machine appeared to hang at the Starting Windows splash screen. No Microsoft pennant accompanied the words Starting Windows. After about 4 minutes I pulled the plug, reinserted it and started the T60 laptop and was offered to repair (recommended) or start normally and I started normally and this time it booted! I'm running Windows Update again and it has 2 important updates and 11 optional, which I'm ignoring. I can't explain this behavior, but still think it might be the GPU too hot. That may be totally wrong...

After installing the 2 updates and restarting it's again stalling on a screen that says nothing more than this (with no Windows Pennant):

Starting Windows

(C) Microsoft Corporation

I pull the plug after seeing that static screen for 3 minutes, plug back in, elect to "Start Normally," and it does start normally! This is a bloody head scratcher!

Maybe it is the GPU too hot, I know that's maybe a long shot but don't know what else to think here...

When I review updates I see a few failures:

KB26211440
KB2703157
KB2834140

Muse

#24 Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:07 pm

Well, last two times the system rebooted I didn't have to unplug it... so progress is being made. Maybe, just maybe, something's been resolved by virtue of the downloads and installs. :?

After nearly 200 updates from Windows Update I installed the latest TVSU, and have run it, it rebooted once and is continuing. Will do that until it's through and run Windows Update again, then MSE (maybe should have done that already). The machine's pretty fast compared to when it had a 5400RPM HD.